Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

West Brom Sacked Megson...Now Look Where They Are!

Maybe I am speaking out of line, but this board is all about putting forth our opinions. I don''t want to make any enemies on this board but I really do think it is time for a change of management.

Many on this board have quesioned Nigel Worthington''s tactics the last few months and it has been plain to see for all of us that Craig Fleming, Marc Edworthy and Gary Holt have not been performing and have been at the centre of nearly all our goals against. I might even put Robert Green in with them.

If we can see it, why can''t the board and Nigel Worthington? West Brom were bold and made the move...why can''t we. It could have saved us!

That we will never know.

It could go either way, changing a manager.  Could make things better or worse.  I know it couldn''t be alot worse than it is right now but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

A lot of people will put West Broms proximity to survival down to the fact they spent £10 million in the summer . Truth is up until they sacked Megson they were worse than us so you cant put the improvement down to what they spent but getting rid of a bad manager (a bad manager who got them promoted ) We have left it too late now and can only hope Mr Worthington does not carry this season''s inept performance into next season, but it''s a safe bet come the first match back in the Championship Fleming , Holt and Edworthy will be in the line up. At least he wont be able to churn out the ''we are learning'' excuse in that division.

too bloody right,

The main reason we have done so badly this year is mostly due to the inadequecies of our management team. I know he is inexperienced at this level but then again so is Iain Dowie and look how he has his team performing week in week out, yeah they are often defeated but they appear to battler 10 times harder than we do. Lets face it the past couple of months, apart from the last ten against boro and the first 20 against man city we have looked a complete joke. There has not been a lot of passion shown by the players and for weeks now it has looked like we are resigned to defeat from the first whistle. I know the players also should be partly to blame but motivation is one of the main criteria on Worthys job spec. It  was always gonna be tough this year but we have the onfield quality to have done a lot better than what we have done.

[quote]Maybe I am speaking out of line, but this board is all about putting forth our opinions. I don''t want to make any enemies on this board but I really do think it is time for a change of management. Ma...[/quote]

I think you''re losing a little perspective here - Megson was only sacked after he got WBA promoted, got relegated, and then got them promotion again. In other words, we are where West Brom were the season before last. Megson was only sacked after he had demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that he couldn''t hack it in the Premiership.

If, come Christmas, we''re not serious contenders for promotion again, then - and only then - we should maybe consider a change of management.

Anyway, everyone''s talking as if West Brom have escaped relegation. They''re still in the bottom three.

Didn''t we all laugh when Robson was appointed? One way ticket to the Championship?  They have 2 good wide players in Greening and Richardson and players who can head the ball. Hats off to Robson  for turning it around and giving them a fighting chance but Worthy is still the man for me.

Here''s my prediction...

We''ll be lucky to win another game this season. Confidence, morale and trust in the manager will therefore be shattered. That feeling is then carried into next season when there will be an inflated expectation of us coming straight back up again. But, we get off to a bad start and Worthy is sacked/resigns.

It''s happened so many times before with teams just relegated from the Premier; Mickey Adams, Gordon Strachan, Dave Jones, George Burley etc.

Get it over with now and give a new guy a chance for next season.

[quote]Maybe I am speaking out of line, but this board is all about putting forth our opinions. I don''t want to make any enemies on this board but I really do think it is time for a change of management. Ma...[/quote]

Canary Boy,

To give your opinion a more balanced view, perhaps you should also list how many clubs  have changed apparently unsuccessful managers and still constantly failed to achieve. 

The reason I stress "apparently" is that the manager should be viewed over the whole of his reign, and not just judged on a relatively small period of failure when the majority of his term has been successful. IMHO

I dont see the point in sacking Worthy at the moment because i think he can get us promoted again. but if we go into the Prem again and he does exactly what he did this season then he should be replaced before its too late

[quote]I think you''re losing a little perspective here - Megson was only sacked after he got WBA promoted, got relegated, and then got them promotion again. In other words, we are where West Brom were the se...[/quote]

Also, it was my understanding that WBA sacked Megson because he publically stated he''d leave at the end of the season anyway, rather than simply because results weren''t good? The board have nothing to lose if they are bottom of the table and manager broadcasts that he''ll leave them there at the end of the season. No harm in getting rid of him immediately, trying somebody else and seeing what happens.

If our Board had sacked Worthy at the same time as Megson left WBA, appointed Robson (or whoever else) and found we''re still bottom of the table at this point, I''d bet my bottom dollar that the majority of ''Worthy Out'' posters on this board would be criticising them anyway, either for letting our most successful manager in 10 years go because some of the fans don''t agree with his tactics, or for appointing the wrong manager (''surely a club of our stature should have been able to tempt Sir Alex away from Man U for a new challenge'').

[quote]I think you''re losing a little perspective here - Megson was only sacked after he got WBA promoted, got relegated, and then got them promotion again. In other words, we are where West Brom were the se...[/quote]

The Fool speaks sense. Mind you I wouldnt be dissappointed if we got a new manager in the summer.

The main worry I have is will Worthy be able to lift the players for next season? (they are probably just as depressed as us) and do the players still have confidence/respect in his leadership capabilities? 

I have that worry too. If they look half hearted in the Prem, how will they get motivated for the long hard slog ahead?