Sign in to follow this  
canarycat

Holt... The Inside Story

[quote user="City1st"]I''m not stating that there is not the possibility that it is about money, but that handing in a transfer request is one certain way to make sure that you end up the loser which ever way it goes

[/quote]Yeah I quite agree[Y] Whatever the situation it wasn''t the most clever decision.

is this the charlie wyatt who writes for the Sunwho McNally dismissed as being totally innaccurate ?I know who I believe

Not sure that I buy this one either.

I am sure that he would like to play every game he is fit to play and good on him for having that attitude.

However, the last few months he has pretty much been ever present bar a couple of Morison starts as a lone striker.

When it comes to England I think he was always on a hiding to nothing. I truly believe he could have scored 20 goals and he still wouldn''t have gone.

That is shown in the fact that Carroll is going. He isn''t even the third or fourth highest scoring English forward in the premiership. As I said before when people were talking Holt up for England, I think his age counts more against him at this point.

And you can''t possibly get carried away, even as a player, as to expect that you ''should'' be in the England team after one season.

That''s not to say that he shouldn''t be in the England team, but that the selectors etc take more convincing than most of the rest of us.

I''ve heard this from an ex Norwich player:

Holt is on a basic of £16K p/w, plus bonuses. He is the joint highest paid player.They offered him an increase of £4K to £20K again, plus bonuses. Holt felt this was an insult, fell out with Lambert and handed in his request. Include his agent whispering in his ear.

If this is true, we will struggle to keep many more players as £20K just isn''t enough for a player of his stature and significance. Our wages haven''t gone up in relation the where we are and that is a concern. I wouldn''t expect Norwich to pay £40K a week, but surely for the best players it should be nearer £25K? I suspect Lambert is all too aware of this fact as Norwich are paying Championship wages in the Premier League.

Holt is at his peak and may be tempted with a bigger pay day elsewhere before he retires. If he was asking for silly money, then Norwich have every right to pass that request by, but I wonder how much Grant (or his agent) values himself...?

[quote user="basil brush"]I''ve heard this from an ex Norwich player:

Holt is on a basic of £16K p/w, plus bonuses. He is the joint highest paid player.They offered him an increase of £4K to £20K again, plus bonuses. [/quote]And McNally said -“We haven’t had any discussions yet with any player/agent who has time

left on their contract
. This is entirely normal at this stage."“The article in today’s Sun is completely inaccurate and incorrect.

There has been no offer made to any in contract player, at this stage."“I repeat, no new deal has been discussed with any in contract player,

including Grant.
The figures in the Sun article are wildly inaccurate.

There does sound a bit of truth in this post and I am trying to think back and remember if Holt played all the games when fit over the last two seasons. If he did then it must be a bit of a blow when he misses quite a few this season, even though it seemed to work for him and he seemed fitter when he came on after a few games. Ironic after all the stick Morison has got that Holt has put in for a transfer. Sad too though.

If he wants to go, so be it. See ya later Grant, no strong feelings either way really. We''re a Premier league club and there are plenty of good strikers around who aren''t 31. I''m a City fan not a Grant Holt fan.

Far more concerned about Lambert.

I think Holt''s black eye was first visible at the Wigan match. Lambert was having at go at Holt from the side lines in the first half and then got substituted rather early in the second.

Naturally there was rumours that Holt and the manager had fallen out, but I cannot imagine Lambert sticking one on Grant, as some gossip had suggested as it was too far fetched!

The black eye was probably nothing, but it does make for all sorts of theories!

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="basil brush"]I''ve heard this from an ex Norwich player: Holt is on a basic of £16K p/w, plus bonuses. He is the joint highest paid player.They offered him an increase of £4K to £20K again, plus bonuses. [/quote]

And McNally said -

“We haven’t had any discussions yet with any player/agent who has time left on their contract. This is entirely normal at this stage."

“The article in today’s Sun is completely inaccurate and incorrect. There has been no offer made to any in contract player, at this stage."

“I repeat, no new deal has been discussed with any in contract player, including Grant. The figures in the Sun article are wildly inaccurate.
[/quote]

If you take what McNally has said as true (I can see no reason or benefit to lie).  1) There has been no other clubs in for him at this point.  2)  If they havent even had contract discussions then it cant be just about the money (unless, see point 2 below) Which leaves only 2 other options in my mind.  1)  There has been a falling out of some kind  2)  That he feels he could possibly attract a bigger club with the potential to win things/get paid more money or a club that he thinks will offer him far more money than Norwich ever will, which in turn would set him up for life.  I hope that helps?!

[quote user="Herman "]Didn''t he got the black eye DURING the match at Wigan???[/quote]

No it was sometime before. I was watching in a corporate box for this game, and several of us were watching the players on the t.v screen prior to the start. We saw Holt''s black eye and thought, ''hello...''

Or maybe everyone should stop being complete fannies.Grant Holt has had his transfer request refused.Paul Lambert is still our manager.I would recommend getting on with your lives and worrying about things when they actually happen, not running around like chicken licken proclaiming the sky is falling in.There will still be a Norwich City to support next season in teh Premiership, regardless.

[quote user="macdougall''s perm"]

If he wants to go, so be it. See ya later Grant, no strong feelings either way really. We''re a Premier league club and there are plenty of good strikers around who aren''t 31. I''m a City fan not a Grant Holt fan.

Far more concerned about Lambert.

Well said!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

From Twitter:

Most Prem Lg players earn 30k to 50k a week - and many of them are utter shit. Can you blame 16k-a-week Grant Holt for trying to get more?

@CharlieWyett @CharlieWyett - Charlie Wyett

[/quote]Without making too many assumptions...We know Norwich don''t pay anywhere near 30k Lambert has said that categorically.Of course average teams don''t regularly shell out 50k on any/many of their players.However 30k for a seasoned pro with some sort decent performance level, is easily believable.Q.   Could a seasoned pro, with 15-16 prem goals under his belt. Get offered at least 30k per week. And also bear in mind, his transfer fee would be relatively cheap compared to many ridiculous fees paid?

I most certainly think that canarycat is bang on the money here, not that most NCFC fans will want to believe it. I have known that Holty has been causing problems in the dressing room for a while.

So what the op is saying is that Grant Holt thinks he is bigger than the club, Paul Lambert picks the best team he thinks that can collect all 3 points. Not to improve Holts chances of playing for England!

[quote user="johncolt"]

Does anyone know the story behind Holt''s black eye of a few months back? Is there a clue here?

[/quote]There were rumours at the time that it was Morison.

Honestly, what''s the point speculating?

We could do this to death.

Holt handed in a transfer request, a signal of intent from the outside he doesn''t want to be a Norwich player anymore, or he wants more money. Either way it''s going to upset people.

Either way, it isn''t the end of the world.

The facts will come out in the end I''m sure.

It doesn''t upset me. NCFC are far bigger than Grant Holt or any other player will ever be. The Holty fans can look forwards to watching him at the likes of QPR or West Ham next season, where as I would rather be speculating on the striker we are going to be signing to wear a yellow shirt.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]England is gone for Holt now.It was only a glimmer for 3-4 weeks in a career that was NEVER heading toward being called up.The timing of the last couple of years meant he hit this peak just as a tournament was coming up and England happened to not have a natural set of strikers to select.I am gutted for him but after this squad things are about a 2 year world cup campaign and he will not be in consideration no matter where he plays or how many he scores.I hope he gets a place in the Olympic squad cos he has earned it but it seems unlikely with Beckham and Giggs available- 3rd over age player- I hope so but won''t hold my breath.[/quote]

Spot on the money. As I said prior to the England squad announcement I doubted that he would be selected purely down to age. I say that because I doubt Holt would ever be first choice for England - with that you have to consider whether you want someone who could do a job from the bench for one tournament or whether you want a younger player whose stock is on the rise and who will more than likely feature in your plans for the following qualifying campaign and the subsequent tournament.

I have heard a rumour (one of those floating around in hearsay) that Pearce had inquired with the club about Holt''s availability for the Olympics but that the club had not passed this information on to Holt and he only found out when Pearce let him know due to his non-reply he took it as he wasn''t interested. What makes no sense is that if Pearce had his number surely he would have asked Holt first and then dealt with the club. I think if this has any truth it''s more likely that the club doesn''t want Holt to partake owing to the timing of it being so close to the start of the season.

"So what the op is saying is that Grant Holt thinks he is bigger than the club"No.What the op is saying is some old sh1te that he made up - that was supposedly told to him by one of Grant Holt''s relatives a few hours after the news of the transfer request had been released.Yep, Grant Holt rang round all his relatives and told them the '' real '' story and yet none of them spoke to anyone else who then thought they had a decent inside story to reveal ...............except the opAnd you wonder why Nigerian fraudsters still send out emails claiming to have £100m million locked away in some mystery account - they should target a few on here, they would be quids in.

Since it''s Sunday, and everyone else has a theory, this is mine. And it has the beauty of fitting the very few facts we know, and not running counter to any of them. When everything else, including the most bizarre, has been exhausted you end up back with the obvious. And the obvious is that Holt put in a transfer request because...because he wanted a transfer. And he wanted a transfer to set his family up financially. There may have been a devious secondary, fallback motive, that the transfer request would concentrate NCFC''s mind over possibly improving Holt''s contract. And Holt''s request for a transfer may have been a knee-jerk reaction that even now he is regretting. But it was what it said on the tin.

[quote user="City1st"]And you wonder why Nigerian fraudsters still send out emails claiming to have £100m million locked away in some mystery account - they should target a few on here, they would be quids in.

[/quote]They certainly would!

I''ve been told by a friend who is part of the Ncfc set up that he believe''s Holty doesn''t want to leave despite putting in a transfer request, i can''t extract any more info from my friend as he wouldn''t want to put his job in jeopardy, which is fair enough, but it just leaves me as confused as ever as to what is actually going on behind the scene''s.... something is very wrong somewhere,, is this Holt''s way of trying to ''out'' it, or is it just down to wanting a big fat pay rise, either way it would be nice to know but fear we may never know with the club and players/staff remaining so tight lipped about it all.

I''m of the opinion that if he does leave then so be it, thanks for the memories and bring on the next striker who want''s to become a Ncfc legend

The whole situation is bizarre to be honest as in any of the theories banded about Holt would arguably be in a better position if he had not handed in a transfer request. Even if he does want to leave that would still be the case. Even if his agent had another club lined up then a transfer request would still be a last resort tactic to try and force through a deal because the effect of such a request, if accepted, is that Holt waives the right to any payout for the remainder of his contract (which being 2 years at c16K a week is not an insubstantial sum).

There is a degree of plausibility to the wanting to move back up north rumours as well as I think its quite well known that for some time his family still lived up in Carlisle and have only all moved down lock, stock and barrel in recent times. Maybe his wife couldn;t settle. Again though if that was the case surely he would just come out and explain and I suspect that the club and even the hardest nosed fans would probably begrudgingly accept him moving on.

His best mates at the club appear to be Drury and Wilbraham but I don;t believe footballers ask to leave clubs they are otherwise happy at just because their mates don;t get new contracts. Happens in football all the time.

For what its worth I have heard from what I would regard as a decent source that it is all about trying to get a bit more money. If thats the case then its an unfortunate way to go about things.

At the end of the day i''m for more concerned about Lambo staying. Obviously i would like Holt to stay as well but we shouldn;t forget that he didn ;t even start every game last season and to be honest had Morison not taken 3 months off he probably would have scored more goals than Holt. I am massively grateful for what he has done for us and he will be missed but as a premiership club, managed by lambo i am confident we can get in other players to do the job if need be.

[quote user="canarycat"]Looks like my "source" was very close to mark on this one...

city1st???[/quote]If that''s the case. He''ll be off, because Lambert won''t guarantee anything to any player except, your chance will come IF you earn it.  And what''s McNally going to do?  Tell Lambert what team to pick?

The most shocking thing in this entire thread is that the OP is at University.

This country..