Sign in to follow this  
canarycat

Holt... The Inside Story

Right im sure you as well read messageboarders you have all read i spoke to this person and i know him etc....

BUT stay with me here! 

Im at uni up north and just so happen to go to uni with a Grant Holt relative a massive coincidence i know and yes u may all call me on this one i have done to many others so i wont blame you...

Basically when i heard the news like all of the rest of you stunned simply stunned yet it hit me a conversation i had with this "relative" where he said the words " i wonder how much longer he will be there" at the time the word F off came out off my mouth as i found it implausible our leader and captain would be to upsticks and move anywhere i mean why?? he is 31.. club legend... could quite easily stay for the rest of his career.. dosent make sense!

Anyway this transfer request is not for money or really even a move its England!!! Basically Holt dosent like being on the bench and yes i must admist many times this season he has been on the bench and i have asked myself thats a strange one?? and all my mates say WTF why isnt holty playing but i always stood by lambert and his decisions and lets be honest we finished 12.

Holty didnt take to kindly to being left out of games and from what my source said he was desperate to play for england and didnt feel like he got the chance to score the amount of goals needed to make it impossible for him to not be picked. So basically what i have heard from my source who is a relative is that Holty has handed in a transfer request after a falling out with the manager over the past three months and this may have come to a head when holty perhaps asked for more money? but i must add my source said that its not really the money or a move he really likes norfolk and the fans its just i think he feels maybe if he was given more game time he would have got in the england squad...

For me i have to back lambert on this one others strickers scored goals and we had a very good staart to the season when holty wasnt quite fit enough... i cant complain with anything Lambert has done and i think holt has got ideas above his station. Dont get me wrong i think Holt is great but this all seems a bit petulant and a bit poor considering this is drurys week not his and for that i think he should be ashamed.

I think squad rotation is pretty much part and parcel of Premier League footie nowadays. If this is true and Holty thinks he can be playing every game for another Premier League team he''s going to be disappointed - especially if it''s a bigger club where the manager has to keep several strikers the equal or better than Holty happy. One could argue that Holty only scored as many goals as he did because he started a number of games on the bench, i.e. that he was hungrier and fresher because of it. Lambert has to shuffle his pack and I fully back him on that.

He might well be disappointed with sitting on another teams bench, but I bet the raised wages would soften the blow somewhat.

Well, I suppose we''ve got to take the story about the  OP''s  "relative" on face value . I''m not going to go down the kneejerk reaction of so many who''d automatically describe this as hogwash.

But I''d have thought that GH was a switched on enough sort of guy, having seen football right through the various leagues, that he''d realise that not everyone (in fact no-one) has a divine right to play from the start in every game of every season . It''s just not realistic these days. Rooney regularly is on the bench for MU . So is Drogba for Chelsea. Dammit ,even Messi does not start EVERY Barça game . So, no, I don''t really buy this one. Either it''s a falling out, or more likely, a money/contract thing.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

Well, I suppose we''ve got to take the story about the  OP''s  "relative" on face value . I''m not going to go down the kneejerk reaction of so many who''d automatically describe this as hogwash.

But I''d have thought that GH was a switched on enough sort of guy, having seen football right through the various leagues, that he''d realise that not everyone (in fact no-one) has a divine right to play from the start in every game of every season . It''s just not realistic these days. Rooney regularly is on the bench for MU . So is Drogba for Chelsea. Dammit ,even Messi does not start EVERY Barça game . So, no, I don''t really buy this one. Either it''s a falling out, or more likely, a money/contract thing.

[/quote]

Or even Lambert got his eyes on a couple of younger strikers meaning Holt slips down in pecking order,these thing happen in life when more candles go on the cake

If that''s true, get rid of him and sharpish. I''m sure Lambert will feel the same.Holt was superb for much of the season but there were still more than a few games where he was anonymous. He can be replaced.

His wife put on twitter in April that she was " in Carlisle looking at a house ....last minute decision but I love it up north " ...... Maybe he just wants to go home.

Doesn''t feel he will get into the England squad by being on the bench ? That didn''t stop   Jermain Defoe & Danny Welbeck getting picked !

I''m sure there''s more to it than what is being banded about. I don''t see why Holt would suddenly react like this unless something deeper has happened.

not that I think it would have made much difference as I think Hodgson has already made his mind up but I dont think it helped Holt''s England cause to be left out and games at the back end of the season, most in particular ,Liverpool 3 matches before the end of the season?

If he wanted to move back up north for personal reasons then surely the club would be sympathetic and wouldnt have Holt told us by now.

I ''m more inclined to believe he wants more money, which is odd as he only signed an improved contract last July for 3 years which he must have been happy with and didnt someone say they also all got a bonus for keeping us up.

Whatever the reason, he''s asked to leave our club, his timing just before Adam''s game isnt too good and if he wants to go we should let him, never agree with keeping a player who doesnt want to be here.

quote user="barclay seats 48/49 "]Also I find hard to beieve the " looking for a new house in Carlisle in April" as they just bought new house in hethersett in february/march .[/quotePlenty of wealthy people have two homes, this could mean anything

name a prem team where holt would be a guaranteed starter??

For all his goals he has had quiet spells and games this season where all the other strikers have played better and earned their chance to start to.

If its true it does make me frustrated at the arrogance of footballers - they are only ever 9% of a team and just like malky before him if thats the reason he wants to move so be it.

"So basically what i have heard from my source who is a relative is that Holty"

Which given that the news broke in the media less than 10 hours before you posted, Grant Holt has then contacted his ''relative'' and told him the full story - the relative has then spoken to you and regaled you with the whole story.Do you work for the Sun by any chance, they publish this kind of old shite as a matter of course ?

Isn''t it pretty clear that the OP is referring to a conversation he had with Holt''s relative sometime ago and not yesterday after the news broke. At least that''s how I read it

[quote user="Making Plans"]Isn''t it pretty clear that the OP is referring to a conversation he had with Holt''s relative sometime ago and not yesterday after the news broke. At least that''s how I read it[/quote]Exactly, so how did either of them know Holt would get anywhere near the number of goals to claim an England place?

Or he is making up a pile of old shite whilst sat up at four on the morningIf he is that bothered to be doing such stuff do you really thing he would have not posted up the stuff that he supposedly heard from the ''relative'' way BEFORE the news broke ?It''s idiotic shite from some keyboard fantasist

Very intersting post. Im sure at somepoint in the future the whole truth will come out.

btw pickles, messi DOES start pretty much every game, even in the lesser cup competitions. Its been noted he gets moody when he doesnt play & have to say watching barca most weeks on sky sports i dont think ive ever seen him not start a game (unless injured obviously)

Maybe because 2 weeks ago he didn''t think it was relevant & that his "contact" was having a bit of a wind up.In all honesty, at the time most people would have thought the same Given that it''s been confirmed that no negotiations have taken place we can assume it''s not money.So it must be something else & I do recall that you yourself, City 1st, put forward a similar theory about Holt being unhappy about Lambert''s selections in another thread yesterday.It''s not unusual for Uni students to be up at 4 in the morning but whether he was sober or not is another matter.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Maybe because 2 weeks ago he didn''t think it was relevant & that his "contact" was having a bit of a wind up.In all honesty, at the time most people would have thought the same Given that it''s been confirmed that no negotiations have taken place we can assume it''s not money.So it must be something else & I do recall that you yourself, City 1st, put forward a similar theory about Holt being unhappy about Lambert''s selections in another thread yesterday.It''s not unusual for Uni students to be up at 4 in the morning but whether he was sober or not is another matter.[/quote]You cannot assume that. IF his agent has told him he deserves (for argument''s sake) £30k per week and he can get him a club that''ll pay that. And he knows full well Norwich won''t pay anywhere near that. What''s the point in bothering with negotiations? How many times Have Lambert said we don''t do £30k plus players?

Another possibility to throw out there, given the timing of Holt''s announcement - Perhaps he''s unhappy about PL''s decision to release Whitbread and/or Wilbraham? Anyone know if he was particularly close to either of them in the dressing room? If he was already somewhat unhappy about being benched in some games with an out-of-form Morison played instead, disappointed about missing the England squad, and having a bad week, then losing one of his buddies who he perhaps thought deserved another season might have pushed him over the edge? Pure speculation of course, but the timing just seems a little suspect to me... most of the big clubs will likely wait until after the Euros to go shopping...

"What''s the point in bothering with negotiations?"or more importnatly what is the point of handing in a transfer requestif the figure is as you suggest then it''s most likely he will have a ''contract offer'' clause whereby he can leave if such an offer is madeHolt sits tight, gets the offer, gets the huge percentage of the transfer fee and walks away with money, contract and a ''clwar'' consciencethis way he has blown the lot and could well end up financially worseyep, that sounds about the right way to ''far cup'' things

What''s the point in bothering with negotiations?"or more importnatly what is the point of handing in a transfer requestif

the figure is as you suggest then it''s most likely he will have a

''contract offer'' clause whereby he can leave if such an offer is madeHolt

sits tight, gets the offer, gets the huge percentage of the transfer

fee and walks away with money, contract and a ''clwar'' consciencethis way he has blown the lot and could well end up financially worseyep, that sounds about the right way to ''far cup'' things

Dunno, maybe. I''m just offering a possibility why you can''t rule out totally ''it''s not about money''.  And it still could be down to his agent bending his ear telling him he could get double his wages if he makes himself available. Of course I''m not claiming that to be a reason, there could be 1001 different ones.

England is gone for Holt now.It was only a glimmer for 3-4 weeks in a career that was NEVER heading toward being called up.The timing of the last couple of years meant he hit this peak just as a tournament was coming up and England happened to not have a natural set of strikers to select.I am gutted for him but after this squad things are about a 2 year world cup campaign and he will not be in consideration no matter where he plays or how many he scores.I hope he gets a place in the Olympic squad cos he has earned it but it seems unlikely with Beckham and Giggs available- 3rd over age player- I hope so but won''t hold my breath.He has to let international football go and decide what he wants to do for the rest of his career at club level. If there is one big move left then best of luck to him and I hope it works out. If he can be happy here even better.The dream was almost on for 30 seconds but it has gone. Hard to take but c''est la vie Holty. Roll up the sleeves and get back to work.

I''m not stating that there is not the possibility that it is about money, but that handing in a transfer request is one certain way to make sure that you end up the loser which ever way it goes