Sign in to follow this  
DOGGER

Holt is Staying

What i have been led to believe -

It was about the money, apparently Howson was signed up on a good contract (more than Holt), Grant wanted a pay rise to match Howson as he felt being the captain he should earn the most. McNally told him to F off if he wasnt happy, Holt put in transfer request.

Lambert smooth things over with both parties, Holt gets a 5k a week rise, all happy. expect official news soon.

(PL also will be staying for at least another 12 months)

All sounds plausible.  To be fair to Holt, he''s worth every penny of a £5k rise.... and a lot more besides.  It''s a team game and our squad have been brilliant but he and Lambert have earned the club mega bucks.  I''m sure he could find a move where he would earn a lot more.

You sure McNally didn''t get him in a head lock or full nelson to underline his point? Did PL appear, clothesline the pair of them and tell them to sort it out or it''ll get spunked over the Pink''un in a matter of seconds

All very plausable, and similar to many other ''inside info'' claims, but doesnt explain the comment from Payne of

“If they ever come out in the wash, I’m sure everybody will understand why he did what he did."

unless Payne thinks that if it ever became known that Holt was not the clubs top earner than we would all understand why he put in a transfer request which I think maybe a big ask.

[quote user="DOGGER"]

It was about the money, apparently Howson was signed up on a good contract (more than Holt), Grant wanted a pay rise to match Howson as he felt being the captain he should earn the most. McNally told him to F off if he wasnt happy, Holt put in transfer request.

Lambert smooth things over with both parties, Holt gets a 5k a week rise, all happy. expect official news soon.

[/quote]almost identical to what i heard at the weekend... Howson is the clubs highest earner

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

All very plausable, and similar to many other ''inside info'' claims, but doesnt explain the comment from Payne of

“If they ever come out in the wash, I’m sure everybody will understand why he did what he did."

unless Payne thinks that if it ever became known that Holt was not the clubs top earner than we would all understand why he put in a transfer request which I think maybe a big ask.

[/quote]

Or Payne knew full well that "it would never come out in the wash" and that the outcome of any meeting would be kept secret but thought he''d better make up something so that it didn''t look like they had lodged a transfer request purely in a strop over money.

[/quote]perhaps it was to do with McNally telling him to F off, If my boss told me to F off  I would be outta that door sharpest.

I wish I could get a 250k raise lol... my goodness imagine that. I am happy over here in the states when it''s $1 an hour extra lol. Holt is def worth it though.

[quote user="The Young One"][quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

[/quote]perhaps it was to do with McNally telling him to F off, If my boss told me to F off  I would be outta that door sharpest.[/quote]

I assumed Doggers ''F off if your not happy'' was an abrieviation of a longer, more mature conversation but with the same ultimate meaning.

[/quote]

If McNally literally told him to "F off if you think you can do better somewhere else" that would explain what could come out in the wash, the ''something that was said'' a couple of months ago, the ''no falling out with Lambert'', the ''happy at Norwich, great support etc''''. So it was just an attitude that Holt felt insulted by, that festered and led to the transfer request. So all adds up for me. Also sounds like the sort of thing McNally might say! If they have buried the hatchet and sorted things out to everyone''s satisfaction, then brilliant, we can all move on.

Might also explain why Lee Payne said that "it''s not all about money" but "obviously money comes into the scenario " and "players like to feel like they are being valued and being respected". If this rumour is true, then Holt probably would have been happy to continue playing on his currently contract/wage if Howson hadn''t been signed, which suggests it isn''t all about money. But he wants to feel valued as the team captain, so money does come into it. Would also explain why he would be happy to stay here if it''s just about him being valued.

Hmm, I guess this makes sense then, and frankly, he''s worth the pay rise!

[quote user="DOGGER"]

Holt gets a 5k a week rise, all happy.

[/quote]

Except Morison. And Pilkington. And Bennett. And Surman. And Martin. And Ruddy. And......you get the point. I don''t blame Grant Holt for trying to earn a few extra quid whilst his stock is as high as it is prebably ever going to be but I bet it puts a few noses out of joint down at Colney. Teams like Norwich ''overachieve'' (I don''t really like that word as I''m not really sure it is possible to overachieve but people know what I mean) do so because mostly the players are of very similar ability and there are no stars. This fosters a togetherness that you don''t always see at big spending teams (I''m looking at you QPR) and thus allows them to outperform seemingly better teams. Is it possible to maintain that feeling when one player suddenly starts earning a lot more just because it is his job to stick the ball in the net? How does your right back feel about being told his job is less important than that of a striker? It''s a fact of life that the guys who score the goals tend to be the best paid but in a squad where togetherness is so important to the outcomes on the field you simply cannot afford any resentment to creep in.

Like I said I don''t blame Grant Holt for looking to improve his wages, I''m not one of those fans who has a messiah complex over him and is now hurting at the fact that he could ever think of leaving, but I do hope he hasn''t just upset the harmony of our squad. Next season will be tough again and it is a very fine line between success and failure. Having everyone pulling in the same direction is what has got us where we are now and we will need that again. No stars. No talisman. One team.

[quote user="DOGGER"]

[/quote]

Who did the leading?

Look, what McNally actually said on his moby to Holt that morning was "Grant I hear you but I''m going to be attending the first test match at Lord''s today and Mr Bowkett has even managed to get tickets for the members end, if you think I''m going to consider this today of all days you can f8ck off and wait until I get back on Monday".  Unfortunately the train that he was on passed through a bridge just as he uttered "off" and the signal was lost!  Grant, being the man he is, dropped the pre-written transfer request that Payne had prepared for him in at McNally''s office and all hell broke loose. 

....well its as plausible as anything else I''ve read on here. 

But he has changed his picture on twitter to one where he isn''t wearing a city shirt, so surely he''s leaving!!? (He said tongue in cheek).

This all makes sense to be fair.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Except Morison. And Pilkington. And Bennett. And Surman. And Martin. And Ruddy. And......you get the point.[/quote]We do, but there''s something else to consider here - how many of those players have had a key hand in our success for 3 years running?Only Russell Martin has been here that long, and with the greatest of respect to him - Holt has been far more valuable to our side than he has.Purely looking at it from this perspective, and this perspective only - Holt has more ''right'' to ask for a raise than the aforementioned players (again taking into account R.Martin''s contribution).

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Shack Attack"]Except Morison. And Pilkington. And Bennett. And Surman. And Martin. And Ruddy. And......you get the point.[/quote]
We do, but there''s something else to consider here - how many of those players have had a key hand in our success for 3 years running?

Only Russell Martin has been here that long, and with the greatest of respect to him - Holt has been far more valuable to our side than he has.

Purely looking at it from this perspective, and this perspective only - Holt has more ''right'' to ask for a raise than the aforementioned players (again taking into account R.Martin''s contribution).
[/quote]

Erm, Wesley anyone?!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Erm, Wesley anyone?![/quote]Fair play, but Wes wasn''t listed in Shack''s original selection, and...and...oh ok...I cocked up :DWes would have a fair shout here, although I''d still argue that Holt has offered more overall - especially this season just gone, but again that''s with no disrespect to Wes or another other NCFC player intended.

unfortunately you may be close to the mark

I read this a few days ago and its been bugging me ever since:

on 18th of MAy Zak Whitbread twittered

Profile pic now changed at the request of @holty30 ha but technically I am still a canary until 30th June :-) #NCFC

---- If Holt moves on its sad (always sad to loose a good player) but its better to get it sorted now at the beginning of the summer--- Good luck to him what ever he decides

You may unfortunately be close to the mark

I read this on twitter on May 18th? and its been bugging me ever since

Profile pic now changed at the request of @holty30 ha but technically I am still a canary until 30th June :-) #NCFC

IF Holt leaves it will be sad (always sad to loose a good player) but IF it happens much better to get it sorted now early in the summer

Good luck to hime whatever he decides

Most players won''t know what each other earns, pretty sure Matt le Tissier said that once as he never knew what everyone earned at saints.

I think there''s more to the transfer request than just seeking a pay rise.

[quote user="Ziggurat"]You may unfortunately be close to the mark

I read this on twitter on May 18th? and its been bugging me ever since

IF Holt leaves it will be sad (always sad to loose a good player) but IF it happens much better to get it sorted now early in the summer

Good luck to hime whatever he decides[/quote]

Why has it been bugging you?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I just hope a dangerous precedent has not been set here. Good shout on Hoolahan, he''s been just as important as Holt over the last three years and I personally think he should earn as much as Holt too.[/quote]If it''s true about  Holt receiving a hefty wage increase then there''s no hope about it LC, a dangerous precedent HAS been set.You either have a wage ceiling or you don''t. It''s worked fine up to now. Holt is a great character to have at the club but once you let the genie out of the bottle you can''t get it back in there. If I''d have been the CEO I would like to think I''d have stood my ground and said the wage ceiling stands, take it or leave it.Let''s hope this isn''t the beginning of the end of '' team spirit '' at Carrow Road.......