Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Have we ever had a German national in our first 11?

With Paul Lambert''s recent comments about "looking abroad" for new players ringing fresh in the ear, you would imagine Germany to be quite high up on the list with possibly contacts out there from his days as a player there.This got me thinking... Have we ever had a German player at Norwich? I''m certain we must have at some point but I cannot recall anyone in recent history.

Good Point!

Holland: De Waard, Dervald

France: Anselin, Brellier, Louis-Jean, Sibierski, Libbra, De Blassis (maybe give france a miss!)

Italy: Lupoli

Spain: Velasco, Pacheco, Ayala

Denmark: Needergaard, Nielsen

Not like we''ve ignored the foreigners completely, but Germany does seem to have been missed. Maybe Neil Adams is a bit German, there has to be an explaination for his penalties!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]

Holland: De Waard, Dervald

[/quote]

Denis Van Wijk was our best Dutchman.

Those froggies flattered to deceive, all of them really.

A player from the Bundesliga is very possible but I doubt we''ll sign a German.

Very few Germans leave the Bundesliga other than the very top ones such as Ozil & Podolski for a challenge at another ''major'' club in Europe.

Gaetano Giallanza was Swiss I believe but I don''t know if he was Swiss German or Swiss French. Probably the nearest we have come. Getting a younger player from Dortmund or Bayern who is not making the first team but is a prospect and needs some footie on a loan basis would be terrific. They have exactly the sort of ethic which Lambert requires. 

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Getting a younger player from Dortmund or Bayern who is not making the first team but is a prospect and needs some footie on a loan basis would be terrific. They have exactly the sort of ethic which Lambert requires. [/quote]Maybe look into Daniel Ginczek or even Terrence Boyd then - both talented, both young, and both likely to want first team football.

Terrence Boyd is certainly somebody to look at on a loan basis. He''s big, strong & athletic with a superb goal record in the reserve side. The next step before the Dortmund first team is a spell on loan.

We did have the mighty Bayern Munich here once.... Does that count?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I bet Tilly remembers that Larson!

Does anyone else remember that German manager Herr Dreyer[:^)]

[/quote]

I remember seeing highlights of him [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]

There was some talk that, when Rudolf Hess flew in from Germany during the war, he had hopes of becoming a special member of the Cabinet.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]David Phillips was born in Germany but represented Wales......[/quote]Born on British Army base which qualified him to play for any British national team, the same as Jerry Goss.  Doesn''t make him German, luckily for him

"Gaetano Giallanza was Swiss I believe but I don''t know if he was Swiss German or Swiss French."

:-) I love the way you rule out ''Swiss Italian'' from the off!