Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Did Liverpool ever go for Rodgers?

"A Swansea statement said: "The club is pleased to confirm that Brendan has declined the opportunity to speak about the vacant position." ...The Anfield hierarchy are approaching a number of candidates but former Watford and Reading boss Rodgers, 39, is now out of the picture" - BBC Sport.

Not trying to start up conspiracy talks, but the wording just seems off to me, and the majority of most stories I have read talk about Martinez more than they do Rodgers. Seems more of a media hype to make it seem Rodgers is desirable, because this certainly makes swansea look bigger than they are (Not taking anything away from them.)

That was my thought process really, that many people connected to the club are calling for well qualified candidates. Whoever counts Lambert and Rodgers as well qual. are a bit loopy. they have done great, really, but one premier league season shouldn''t be enough for Liverpool.

I think Rodgers has played a very shrewd hand here. They are meant to be interviewing about 12 candidates. Despite talking to people like Martinez I still think Liverpool will go for a big name manager. It would have been a bit awkward to go back to Swansea having chatted to Liverpool, really stating a desire for the job and then nothing materialising when Liverpool potentially choose another candidate. As it is his stock at Swansea amongst the players and supporters is certainly higher than ever.

The Swansea statement read: ''Swansea

City can confirm that an approach from Liverpool FC to speak to manager

Brendan Rodgers was officially received by club chairman Huw Jenkins

this morning.

''The club

is pleased to confirm that Brendan has declined the current opportunity

to speak to the Anfield club about the vacant position.

''The

Swansea manager is currently working hard to strengthen the squad in

readiness for the new Barclays Premier League campaign.''