Sign in to follow this  
jeagle

Jacob Butterfield

Usually you only have a medical at a club once a fee has been agreed. We were the only club to every agreed a fee with Crewe. So I don''t understand where you are coming from about that. Ashton''s appearance record whilst at Crewe was excellent. He made increasingly more appearances every year as he gradually broke into the team. He was then virtually an ever present in his final two years before joining us. As Craig Bellamy and Ledley King have shown by the way they have rationed their games players with bad knee problems simply can''t do that

With regard to that knee injury in 2008 which was only a very minor one really at the back end of his career. I would argue you have mistaken course and effect. His ankle injury meant that other parts of his body were having to over compensate making them more vulnerable to injury.

[quote user="Jacko"]Usually you only have a medical at a club once a fee has been agreed. We were the only club to every agreed a fee with Crewe. So I don''t understand where you are coming from about that. Ashton''s appearance record whilst at Crewe was excellent. He made increasingly more appearances every year as he gradually broke into the team. He was then virtually an ever present in his final two years before joining us. As Craig Bellamy and Ledley King have shown by the way they have rationed their games players with bad knee problems simply can''t do that

With regard to that knee injury in 2008 which was only a very minor one really at the back end of his career. I would argue you have mistaken course and effect. His ankle injury meant that other parts of his body were having to over compensate making them more vulnerable to injury.[/quote]

You''d make a terrible investigative journalist, Jacko.I''m off to Morston Hall for lunch - catch you good people later [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

shyster and wiz, like a few other posters on here, never let the truth come in the way of making a derogatory complaint about a player or manager. if they accept the truth of the situation then they have to admit that they are wrong, and that is never going to happen.

[quote user="Wiz"]

Oh great.[:S]

Cheap and injury prone and a poor replacement for Howson, who will be off soon imo.

[/quote]Pilkington was "cheap" and "injury prone".  He did okay.

From Jacob Butterfields Twitter account, dated 19th June.

Jacob Butterfield ‏@JLButterfield 19th June.

Given the all clear from the surgeon today to start pre season as normal.. Great news.

And presumably Barnsleys pre season starts earlier as their season starts earlier.

I was actually reading up on cruciate injuries the other day - it is certainly not a nice injury for a footballer to get, but there has been a long list of rather decent players who have come through it, some rather quickly (eg, Essien). It isn''t (necessarily) an end-of-the-world thing that some seem to believe.

Mr Carrow has a good reputation on this forum so I have no reason to doubt the veracity of his statement that Butterfield has signed. If this indeed proves true on Monday then it is certainly news to be excited about. This is the type of player we should be looking for and to get him on what will be a tribunal fee is a big coup for the new management team.Now just get me a Naughton quality fullback, a Holty replacement (if he goes) and I will be much more positive about the challenges of what I predict will be a very difficult season. Avoiding relegation this season is the 100% priority as the new TV money will push the Premier clubs even further away from the also rans in the Championship.

Textbook Shyster. Comes up against someone who backs their argument up with evidence rather than wild speculation like him and he sulks off. Anyway I think Butterfield will be very strong signing for us. Possesses great quality on the ball and could well be utilised in a playmaker style role or a more attacking one. But it does raise serious doubts about David Fox''s future if true (even if Foxy has just signed a new deal)

Would be very happy with Butterfield. Great young player who, as with a number of our recent signings, has been made captain previously and demonstrated their strong leadership ability.

[quote user="ricardo"]Mr Carrow has a good reputation on this forum so I have no reason to doubt the veracity of his statement that Butterfield has signed.[/quote]I think you may be confusing Mr Carrow with MisterCarrow Ricardo. Mr Carrow has used most of his 3,800 posts asking where the money has gone. [;)] whereas, I''m not sure how MisterCarrow has used his! [:D]

I haven''t read through all 7 pages of this topic so sorry if this has already been posted, but here''s a good article about Butterfield written by a Barnsley fan when it was rumoured Newcastle were going to sign him.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/newcastle-united-why-jacob-butterfield-is-the-missing-piece-of-the-puzzle/

[quote user="lappinitup"]whereas, I''m not sure how MisterCarrow has used his 71 postsDoh! [:$][/quote]Well spotted Lapp. In which case lets just hope he is right.

[quote user="Jacko"]Textbook Shyster. Comes up against someone who backs their argument up with evidence rather than wild speculation like him and he sulks off.[/quote]

Pfft - backs their argument up with evidence? You simply take all the media guff as a given and there''s nothing more inconclusive than your average journo.Apologies for not cancelling my lunch reservation in order to stay here and argue the toss with you about knee damage btw [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

I deal in fact not fiction. I more of a reader than a poster but if I know something then I will tell all. It was more difficult to find out information when Lambert was here.

If we get the lad in I''ll be extremely pleased.He''s clearly one of the most talented players outside the top flight and has a great eye for a pass. He''s already been given the all clear on his injury, so no reason he can''t get back to his previous performance level.He''d be a great buy at 2 mil, never mind what we''ll probably end up paying :D

Can''t have too many promising young midfielders which is what this lad appears to be. One would assume that the compensation won;t be anything like the level of fee we would have had to pay had he been fit and in contract.

So looks like a good (and good value) signing to me.

Does leave us slightly overstocked in the ball playing, attacking midfielder department though. Sounds like he''s of a similar style to Wes.

He was in Norwich on Friday passing his medical. At that point both Newcastle and Southampton came in with bigger offers. However, he signed on Saturday around lunchtime as he was won over by Hughton and (as usual with most players who come to NC) was very impressed with the set up. Credit must go to his agent, who advised Jacob to come here over the other clubs (the agent looks after other players in the NC squad) despite knowing he''d earn more cash out of the move if he went elsewhere.

I certainly hope that is the case Chirp, and if so, fair play to the agent for not just going for the biggest payday that may have been available.

[quote user="The Chirp"]He was in Norwich on Friday passing his medical. At that point both Newcastle and Southampton came in with bigger offers. However, he signed on Saturday around lunchtime as he was won over by Hughton and (as usual with most players who come to NC) was very impressed with the set up. Credit must go to his agent, who advised Jacob to come here over the other clubs (the agent looks after other players in the NC squad) despite knowing he''d earn more cash out of the move if he went elsewhere.[/quote]
Thanks Chirp, I won''t ask for your sources as I trust that you''re not bullsh***ing. Sounds like a player with his head firmly screwed on, and the right motivation, just the sort we want to be bringing in.

Let''s be ''aving you!,You must have read a different article to me then - he is clearly a creative player, not a DM

"Butterfield relishes the role of taking the ball off his centre-backs, getting Barnsley’s short passing game going and forcing back opponents as he progresses through their territory."

Desert Fox, creative yes, in the sense of a David Fox. The passage quoted suggests to me he is deep-lying because I don''t imagine Barnsley''s centre backs generally venture that far upfield other than at set pieces.

No disrespect to Barnsley, Butterfield sounds the type of player who''ll seem to automatically improve if he has better players around him.

Be interesting to see whether both Butterfield and Howson could play in the same team. Howson looked excellent when utilised in a deeper role last season. Which also seems to be where Butterfield would be used.