Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Could you see Norwich having a black manager within the next 20 years?

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="morty"][quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Ruddygore"]I''m sorry Morty, but your sarcasm proves that you have missed the point and I''m afraid it''s an epic fail.

Never mind.[/quote]Well explaining, in simple terms, why the opening post is :-1. Borderline racist.2. Extremely stupid and insensitive3. So misguided it wouldn''t be out of place in the 1970''s4. Deliberately provocativeclearly hasn''t worked for you. Its frankly embarrassing, its like admitting that Norfolk is actually populated by middle class racists, and its perfectly fine to have a good old laugh about it. We have enough of an image problem with the rest of the country as it is, I can put up with the farmer / bumpkin / love your sister crap, but racists? Sorry, for me, no.[/quote]Haven''t you just half proved Skip''s question? That we have a negative imagine? [/quote]No, I really haven''t. You can throw a negative spin on any part of the country if you like. I am willing to put up with the rural image. Just not closet racists. Which, apart from anything else, is stunningly inaccurate. Some peoples views on this forum actually make me inwardly cringe.[/quote]Therefore when this was asked.."I don''t know what perception the club has outside of East Anglia - I

would imagine that we''re seen as a middle class bunch of racist imbreds?"

Why didn''t you just give your opinion on whether you thought it was true or not, rather than get your knickers in a twist?

[/quote]No twisty knickers here whatsoever, I''m not the only one who saw his post as borderline racist, its just I have more time to answer than other folks I guess. I would like to know the train of thought that he followed to come to this conclusion though, its not one I have considered, and he must be basing it on something, he''s not just plucked it out of nowhere, has he?

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]

Recent evidence suggests that Norfolk is still PERCEIVED as a bit of a back water, backwards place that doesn''t take to outsiders too well.[/quote]But it is not outsiders you are talking aboutit is someone who has a black skinso stop trying to back pedal and pretending it is about ''outsiders''

as stated previously I doubt you would question other outsiders settling in Norfolk, so why would it be different for someone who is black ?would it be that, as you stated  "Norwich ...it''s predominately white, with white middle class attitudes ...it''s just different to how a black lad growing up in 1970''s South london would be" ?

Evidence is what i tried to put in the OP, i tried to explain my train of thought in there as to how the question popped up in my mind.

I don''t know if you''ve heard of the bbc or the daily mail, but they''re both quite broad reaching outlets who have reported the following in recent times:

1. The Mark Bright incident

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15744902

2. The Vaughan incident

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2064461/Norwich-striker-James-Vaughan-suffers-alleged-racial-abuse-Twitter.html

That''s where i draw my conclusions, and if you read the remarks that were made to Mark Bright over twitter at the time i can understand why he''s formed a dislike to Norwich.

[quote user="The Young One"][quote user="morty"][quote user="The Young One"][quote user="Ruddygore"]Well Morty, I don''t see skijumptoes saying that we ARE a bunch of middle class inbred racists but that he imagines that people can PERCEIVE that we could be.

To any minority that is something for them to consider.

I agree that we have come a long way in the last 30 or 40 years but I see skijumptoes as coming just a bit further than some of us too.

Take your time.[/quote]

Some common sense on this thread at last, I was going to comment as this was getting silly, we are all scared to air our views from the fearof the politicially correct getting the wrong end of the stick and being on overkill.[/quote]Why is it common sense?Do you think that anyone outside of Norfolk reading this will now perceive that we''re all closet racists, just a little bit more now? And how does anyone make the assumption that this is a perception?Sorry, but I travel a lot, and on saying I''m from Norfolk, not once have I had said to me "Oh Norfolk eh, they''re all a bit racist there, aren''t they?"Oh and using a phrase like "PC" to excuse someone''s stupidity or attempt to be inflammatory doesn''t wash, I''m afraid.[/quote]

MortyIn all honesty I didn''t find anything wrong with the original post, I,m just amazed by all the backlash, the only way outsiders reading this thread would perceive us to be racists is by reading the whole thread i.e making the original post to be something that it isn''t. I also travel a lot and Norfolk always has been considered a place to not like outsiders it''s quite deep routed perhaps, you don''t see/hear it, I,ve been around a lot more than you.The "PC" prigade sometimes gets on my tits for being well over the top at times, although needed at times becuase some behaviour is un-acceptable but my view is this post isn''t one but does identify the issue''s and they are correct.

[/quote]You have been around a lot more than me, lol, really?But anyway, yes the image of a rural community that is suspicious of "outsiders" is a common held one, I totally agree. But as soon as you link that to "outsiders of a different colour" then it really can only be perceived in one way.And I have never heard anyone express this view before, so like I say, I would be interested in where his opinion came from, oh and to see this evidence he alluded to.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Evidence is what i tried to put in the OP, i tried to explain my train of thought in there as to how the question popped up in my mind.

I don''t know if you''ve heard of the bbc or the daily mail, but they''re both quite broad reaching outlets who have reported the following in recent times:

1. The Mark Bright incident

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15744902

2. The Vaughan incident

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2064461/Norwich-striker-James-Vaughan-suffers-alleged-racial-abuse-Twitter.html

That''s where i draw my conclusions, and if you read the remarks that were made to Mark Bright over twitter at the time i can understand why he''s formed a dislike to Norwich.[/quote]Seriously, thats your "evidence"?Lol at The Daily Mail, yeah well known for its balanced, grounded reporting.And your evidence goes on to say that the twitter users were from Norfolk? Oh right, no, it actually doesn''t, does it?Okay, thats two incidents of racist behaviour, that maybe could have originated in Norfolk. Possibly.And on this evidence you deem that the whole country perceives Norfolk as a hot bed of racism.Seriously mate, give it up.

Yes, that''s the evidence that sprung to mind.

Love them or hate them, the Daily Mail, The Sun and publications of that ilk all add to the mis-construed image of Norfolk. I never said that they were a trusted outlet, just that they had wide readership.

If you really want me to find the ''real world'' abuse that Mark Bright received from Norwich fans, i''m quite happy to seek it out, i don''t know if you saw it or not - However, i would not be happy linking to that kind of subject matter if i''m honest, but can PM it.

And... once again, i don''t know how the country perceives us, i can only go by recent evidence which at the time, i found hurtful for the supporters.

Here''s Chris Rock being hilarious and extremely accurate at the same time: [url]http://youtu.be/f3PJF0YE-x4[/url]

[quote user="Shyster"]Here''s Chris Rock being hilarious and extremely accurate at the same time: [url]http://youtu.be/f3PJF0YE-x4[/url] [/quote][:D](Blimey, 16 years ago!)

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Yes, that''s the evidence that sprung to mind.

Love them or hate them, the Daily Mail, The Sun and publications of that ilk all add to the mis-construed image of Norfolk. I never said that they were a trusted outlet, just that they had wide readership.

If you really want me to find the ''real world'' abuse that Mark Bright received from Norwich fans, i''m quite happy to seek it out, i don''t know if you saw it or not - However, i would not be happy linking to that kind of subject matter if i''m honest, but can PM it.

And... once again, i don''t know how the country perceives us, i can only go by recent evidence which at the time, i found hurtful for the supporters.[/quote]

If a couple of minor media stories has resulted in the public perception of Norfolk/Norwich being a hot bed of racists then the same ''tag'' would also have to be applied to the cities of Liverpool, London and Bolton who have had far bigger national media stories since. My perception of these places hasnt changed due to these stories so I assumes theirs hasnt of us. Most people with an ounce of common sense realise that every city, every town, every village will have some idiot residing there and there is no reason to tar everyone with the same brush. I can only think of one example when a single person has managed to create a nation perception of norfolk and that was a certain mr Steve Coogan!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"]Here''s Chris Rock being hilarious and extremely accurate at the same time: [url]http://youtu.be/f3PJF0YE-x4[/url] [/quote][:D](Blimey, 16 years ago!)[/quote]

Still completely relative, morty.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"]Here''s Chris Rock being hilarious and extremely accurate at the same time: [url]http://youtu.be/f3PJF0YE-x4[/url] [/quote][:D](Blimey, 16 years ago!)[/quote]

Still completely relative, morty.[/quote]Oh totally. I wonder if comedians still do acts along the same vein though, or if this is like their version of "Bless this house", and the likes, from the 1970''s for us?But his point is totally correct, regardless of the comedic delivery.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"]Here''s Chris Rock being hilarious and extremely accurate at the same time: [url]http://youtu.be/f3PJF0YE-x4[/url] [/quote][:D](Blimey, 16 years ago!)[/quote]

Still completely relative, morty.[/quote]Oh totally. I wonder if comedians still do acts along the same vein though, or if this is like their version of "Bless this house", and the likes, from the 1970''s for us?But his point is totally correct, regardless of the comedic delivery.[/quote]Jeremy ****ing Kyle does it every morning

Louis CK (Co writes with Chris Rock) more recently performed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"]Here''s Chris Rock being hilarious and extremely accurate at the same time: [url]http://youtu.be/f3PJF0YE-x4[/url] [/quote][:D](Blimey, 16 years ago!)[/quote]

Still completely relative, morty.[/quote]Oh totally. I wonder if comedians still do acts along the same vein though, or if this is like their version of "Bless this house", and the likes, from the 1970''s for us?But his point is totally correct, regardless of the comedic delivery.[/quote]

On the issue of racism, we live in days where political correctness actually does more harm than good - so the longer these comedians have a platform and a voice the better - ''though the old school of comedians are getting fewer. And the answer is no to anybody who''s thinking I like Bernard Manning or the other fat northerner whose name I can''t think of right now. Here''s another true and hilarious example: [url]http://youtu.be/mdNqUW5wwTE[/url] [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Just read an article listing 11 managers that could succeed Lambert if he were to leave us.

One of those was Chris Powell, which got me thinking - that would be Norwich''s first Black manager, right?

I don''t know what perception the club has outside of East Anglia - I would imagine that we''re seen as a middle class bunch of racist imbreds?

Mark Bright doesn''t seem too keen on us and tried tarnishing us with the racist brush, and obviously we had the supporter giving Vaughan some grief because of his skin when he signed (Which made headlines).

However, there seems to be an increase in successful black managers in recent years, and as we''re a club looking to get managers on the way up, the chances are increasing.

Personally don''t have an issue with it... However, i could understand the difficulties involved. So with that in mind i just can''t see it happening for a LONG time... if ever!!

Wondered what everyone elses thoughts are, especially those who live in the City. (I''m out in the sticks).[/quote]Can''t see it myself.Now, if it was basketball....

Just in case any of you Norfolkonians don''t know what a Black man is, there is quite handily a player for Celtic tonight who has labelled his shirt for you

[quote user="morty"]Seriously?Do you not see anything perhaps a bit wrong about your entire post?[/quote]

er yeah, what Morty said

[quote user="morty"]Seriously?Do you not see anything perhaps a bit wrong about your entire post?[/quote]

er yeah, what Morty said

Shyster,

Could you possibly expand on the point you were trying to make by posting the Chris Rock videos?

I think i know what you meant by it just need you to expand further

cheers mate

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Shyster,

Could you possibly expand on the point you were trying to make by posting the Chris Rock videos?

I think i know what you meant by it just need you to expand further

cheers mate[/quote]

I will expand: There''s white, law abiding, hard-working, tax paying folk and there''s white lawless, zero expectation, tax absorbing scum - and the scum has got to go. Did not Rock comment that white, American, trailer park, mayonnaise eating trash who f*cked their sisters was nothing for black people to aspire to?I believe he did.

yeah no, thats fine just wondered why you posted that but thought thats what you meant no worries....

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Bly''s right, looks like we''re a bunch of Bruceists.... Who''d have thought it?! :)[/quote]

Thank God for that[:D]

For myself in this day and age, the colour of the skin of a person who may become manager of our club isn''t an issue!

As long as the person wasn''t like Bryan Hamilton, Peter Grant, Glen Roeder, Bryan Gunn were while they were our manager and actually done a good job then the colour of ski would be very irrelevent!

I just wondered how long it would be before this came back to the top of the page. [:D]