Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Holt proves stiker priority

The boy Holt has had a great season - of that there is no doubt but the moment he resorts back to the old ways of ''backing in'', trying to ''con'' refs into giving him free kicks, then his influence on the game and his goal threat drastically falls away. He had a poor game today - no harm in that against the best team in the league but he did''nt do himself any favours by the way he played.

Point is that IF this has been a ''one season wonder'' from him (as it might have been) then we have very serious problems considering the various issues we have with the other five strikers. In any event, we have no right to expect another top season from him next time round. Opponents will be much more aware of him and all his tricks. Sure he''ll still bag a few next season but I expect his tally to drop.

Wilbraham provides a good foil and target man attributes - not a Premiership striker though.

Jacko will run his heart out but ditto Wilbraham. 

Morison - which way will this one go? Has the ability but unless he gets crosses into the box for him he has zero impact.

Vaughan - we have no idea about him but his terrible injury record is likely to prevent any meaningful return from him in the goals scored tally.

Martin - will be sold / released anyway.        

Absolute top priority is at least one (preferably two) quality strikers. If we can''t land them then next season could be a ''bump down to earth''.

i agree we also need an additional quality centerback, but the problem is this will cost money which we don''t have. But as allways im trusting lamberts decision

Don''t panic Yellow.

Read some of the positive posts on here tonight.

Holty will be fine for next season and Lambo knows what he''s doing.

If Lambo goes that may be the time to worry. Next worse scenario is McNasty going. Argh - Nooooo!!

We got away with it this season because if Holt had got seriously injured then we could have been relegated.A couple of really good strikers is a must, but we also need a defensive midfielder, and 2 full-backs.

[quote user="smiley"]i agree we also need an additional quality centerback, but the problem is this will cost money which we don''t have. But as allways im trusting lamberts decision[/quote]What makes you think we don''t have any money smiley? We might not have as much money as Man City but I''d say NCFC have as much money now as they''ve ever had and could quite easily spend big money on 2 or 3 signings if that''s what PL wanted.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="smiley"]i agree we also need an additional quality centerback, but the problem is this will cost money which we don''t have. But as allways im trusting lamberts decision[/quote]
What makes you think we don''t have any money smiley? We might not have as much money as Man City but I''d say NCFC have as much money now as they''ve ever had and could quite easily spend big money on 2 or 3 signings if that''s what PL wanted.
[/quote]

As has been said many times - big money signings means big wages.  We won''t  be going down that route . We need to get used to it.  Medium cost signings and keeping wages down will always be a priority for a well run club like ours.    Its not done us so bad up to now, has it?

I agree with Holt''s game today, i would say from what i have seen it was his worse game of the season, but sometimes things just don''t work for you in a game, today Holt didn''t get any decisions and was in Lescot''s pocket all day, it must be remembered though, lescott and kompany are probably one of the best CB partnerships currently in the prem. I expect Holt will go on to be just as effective next season, he is our captain marvel and does so much more for the team than score goals. I agree in that i think one quality striker is essential, 2 would be nice, however strikers are the most expensive players to buy, it''s going to be a struggle. I wish we Newcastle''s scouts, they seem to be able to bring in extremely good strikers on the cheap before any other clubs even have them on the radar, although they only got demba Ba because no one else would take the risk because he is very injury prone with his knee (similar to the situation with Vaughan)I think we need one striker (two really), winger, and a full back- i think Drury and Wilbers have both earnt another year. Not sure about Jackson, depends on who Lambert brings in. Sorry to the Morro fans, but for me he has to go without a shadow of a doubt, i suspect he will and perhaps we made the wrong decision keeping him in January, the same way millwill did. It''s just going to be difficult to bring in quality at a price we can afford.

We cetainly need to sign another striker. And we have benefited from Holt staying injury free. But I thought he had a decent game today. He had two great efforts on goal in the first half. Didn''t see how many in the second (up the other end). But chances are few and far between against the meanest defence in the league. Todays game is not the best time to be thinking about next season.

There does seem to be a dirct correlation between Holty having an off day and him throwing himself on the floor at the slightest touch. Maybe he just gets a little desperate if he''s struggling to break through although he should have been booked for diving in the first half so maybe that is no excuse. Having said that his poor games have been few and far between since he was left out of the starting line up earlier in the season so I don''t think we should be too concerned.

3-4 new signings capable of improving the squad are needed in the summer!

1 striker, 1 defender, 1 central midfielder and a pacy winger!

The likes of Lappin, Chris Martin, Francomb, Dawkin and Crofts need to be moved on!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

3-4 new signings capable of improving the squad are needed in the summer!

1 striker, 1 defender, 1 central midfielder and a pacy winger!

The likes of Lappin, Chris Martin, Francomb, Dawkin and Crofts need to be moved on!

[/quote]

Dawkin!

Christ! Give the nipper a chance!

[quote user="tom cavendish"]We got away with it this season because if Holt had got seriously injured then we could have been relegated.

[/quote]

FFS thats scaremongering/doom and gloom of the highest order!

IF he had got injured PL would have bought someone else and not sat on his hands staring at an empty No 9 shirt.

By your reckoning, lots of teams ''get away with it'' every season, and should count themselves lucky!

grantroederdisaster I believe your assessment is right those four signings are needed.Yesterday proved that Pilky could beat any full back with the odd misdirection and the quality from both feet (he really could have another break out season next year). But a pacey winger would be amazing.For me priority is in defensive midfield and full back, we need to shore up our defence (this isn''t based on yesterday) but we need to have more than 2 clean sheets in a season which will help us stay up a second season. But I certainly feel another striker is needed we need to be improving every season and that means we have to be ruthless with our squad and those who are out of contract are playing for a contract because we are in a strong position and have rised so dramatically. eg Holty is injured or suspended we can struggle. Next season we cannot take that gamble and I am sure a striker will come in as Martin and Wilby''s futures are uncertain. Personally I still think Jacko''s is more than Morison''s he HAS scored this year, he was leading groups in training pre match and when he came on he won headers AGAIN to flick on to Holty and got in to space down the right to put in a good cross. There is enough with him to give him another season.I like to see how players react. I believe a good player, and one who has bought into Lamberts ethos, will use any low point as a motivation to get stronger and perform and you have to give a player 2 seasons (unless they want to leave). Hence Jacko has had two seasons and had a great month is 2011 but has not hit the ground running to be considered a starter he doesn''t worry premiership defenders. Holt, Morison and maybe Wilby do. Vaughan will be like a new striker but we do need four strikers fighting to be a starter and I think we need to improve that group of four.

This ''backing in'' everyone is getting so upset by, firstly all tall/big/strong/target men centre forwards do it. Secondly, most of the time, he was actually trying to turn the defender, it just never worked.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="smiley"]i agree we also need an additional quality centerback, but the problem is this will cost money which we don''t have. But as allways im trusting lamberts decision[/quote]What makes you think we don''t have any money smiley? We might not have as much money as Man City but I''d say NCFC have as much money now as they''ve ever had and could quite easily spend big money on 2 or 3 signings if that''s what PL wanted.[/quote]

As has been said many times - big money signings means big wages.  We won''t  be going down that route . We need to get used to it.  Medium cost signings and keeping wages down will always be a priority for a well run club like ours.    Its not done us so bad up to now, has it?

[/quote]Big money signings also means big money mistakes.....Plenty of clubs have crashed and burned over the years using this policy and City fans should be content that we are in the Premier League and doing well.For a club our size that''s as good as it gets these days.