Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

ryan bennett that was unacceptable

Nutty - analyze it on Monday? So analyze the bit where he didn''t chase back and say that''s not good enough, chase back next time?

I think we''re all in agreement then!

I think Bennett''s mistake was in not appealing for offside. If Gary Doherty (as he once did at Carrow Road) could appeal for offside when an opposition player received the ball straight from a throw-in I don''t see why Bennett couldn''t try the same trick with his back pass. It might have fooled the linesman...

[quote user="Aggy"]Nutty - analyze it on Monday? So analyze the bit where he didn''t chase back and say that''s not good enough, chase back next time? I think we''re all in agreement then![/quote]

I don''t think we are in agreement at all. But it doesn''t matter. Let''s leave it that we all see things differently.

To move on to the bigger picture - do you think Lambert should have put a young player like Bennett into that situation? And do you think he would have played him if we weren''t already safe?

Yes. I don''t think it was Bennett''s best game whatsoever, I thought he was pretty poor throughout to be fair - and should have given away a penalty let''s remember as well.

However, he has been good before yesterday, and if you''re going to learn on the job, there aren''t many better attacks to do it against than Tevez, Aguero, Silva et al. Great experience for him and that''s the sort of exposure he needs; and is something we can afford to do now that we''re safe.

He''s had a few good performances since getting into the side and I think it''s probably going to do him more good than harm to have a game where he was certainly at fault for one, possibly two of the goals, and was part of a defence to ship 6.

But all the more reason I expect Lambert to have a word and discus the things he did wrong. He''s probably had plenty of praise over the past few weeks (and has had loads of praise on here), but I expect the coaching staff will sit down with him and discuss how he could possibly have fared better against such an awesome attack. That''s the only way he''ll learn from the experience.

Aggy, he''s had plenty of praise on here but that doesn''t mean he''s had plenty of praise from Lambert. We don''t know that. For me some of the praise on here has been OTT. He has benefitted from playing beside Ward who for some reason is not really a fans favourite. I don''t think for a moment he would have played so many minutes if we weren''t safe. But it can only be a good thing for the future that he has.

Whether Lasmbert handles it my way or yours isn''t important. What''s important is he handles it the right way. Bennett was a big investment that the club needs to work out.

On R5 live the guys were suggesting that Man City''s attacking foursome of Tevez, Nasri, Aguero and Silva is as strong as any world club football with the obvious exception of Barcelona''s.  Hard to disagree with that.  Ryan Bennett was playing his 4th (or 5th?) Premiership League game.   All part of the learning curve, as meeting the likes of Carroll, Suarez and Van Persie in the next few weeks will be.

Yes, he might have stretched his legs in pursuit of Tevez; but I don''t seriously think he''d have caught him.  More likely he''d have overstretched and picked up a dodgy hamstring injury. There are times when you have to take that risk obviously but I don''t think that was one of them.

Lambert might criticise him, but I doubt it.  He''s far more likely to remind him he''s a great young prospect and tell him to forget yesterday entirely and concentrate on learning as much as he can whilst we are at the dead end of the season.

Don''t forget it''s entirely feasible that in 5 matches time he''ll be facing Tevez and co again, or someone similar, in the first game of next season. 

[quote user="Aggy"], and if you''re going to learn on the job, there aren''t many better attacks to do it against than Tevez, Aguero, Silva et al. Great experience for him and that''s the sort of exposure he needs; and is something we can afford to do now that we''re safe. [/quote]

I know I''m risking being pilloried here, but Aggy''s comment leads me to draw parallels together from this and another recent thread that''s had various people''s knickers in a twist ; namely the "Should Grant Holt go to the Euros or should it be one of the youngsters ?" one.

My view for what its worth is that Aggy is spot on, and Bennett will have learnt more in 90 mins up against Aguero and his mates than he would in 6 months at Peterborough, let alone a protracted spell in our reserves.

Likewise, young pretenders like Jones+ Welbeck, who represent England''s future, will learn a HUGE amount v the likes of France in a tournament environment, so , to me, that chance should not be spurned.

[quote user="Absent Friend"]

On R5 live the guys were suggesting that Man City''s attacking foursome of Tevez, Nasri, Aguero and Silva is as strong as any world club football with the obvious exception of Barcelona''s.  Hard to disagree with that.  Ryan Bennett was playing his 4th (or 5th?) Premiership League game.   All part of the learning curve, as meeting the likes of Carroll, Suarez and Van Persie in the next few weeks will be.

Yes, he might have stretched his legs in pursuit of Tevez; but I don''t seriously think he''d have caught him.  More likely he''d have overstretched and picked up a dodgy hamstring injury. There are times when you have to take that risk obviously but I don''t think that was one of them.

Lambert might criticise him, but I doubt it.  He''s far more likely to remind him he''s a great young prospect and tell him to forget yesterday entirely and concentrate on learning as much as he can whilst we are at the dead end of the season.

Don''t forget it''s entirely feasible that in 5 matches time he''ll be facing Tevez and co again, or someone similar, in the first game of next season. 

[/quote]

I think you have to consider the match  situation. We were dead and buried by then and the outcome of a rash challenge by Bennett or Ruddy (who was noticeably circumspect in his attempt to dive at Tevez''s feet) would have simply meant we lost our top keeper and one of only three fit centre backs for our very winnable next game. Would it have been worth it? I suspect not.

Agreed Nutty. But we don''t know what the right way is. I don''t think any of us are seriously trying to offer advice to Lambert. We''re all just trying to guess how he''ll handle it, and couple that with how we ourselves would handle it. But if people are willing to praise him on here, then I think it is perfectly acceptable for people to also tell him when he''s done something that doesn''t fit into the whole mantra of how this squad plays.

I''ll repeat one of my earlier points - really what we post on here doesn''t matter one little bit. It''s all about Lambert. A few posts saying Bennett made a mess of one little spell of play isn''t going to demoralise him; I seriously doubt he''ll ever read anything on here and if he does well I''m sure he''ll accept that he did mess up. As I always say, there is a massive difference between criticising on here and booing etc. at the ground, which will have an impact on his confidence. I don''t think any of us are that angry about this incident that we will start booing him next time he plays.

Eric - yeah that, for me, is the reason he won''t go. If we are quite willing to accept that we probably won''t be winning the tournament this year, then do we go with a 31 year old striker who is in great form, or strikers in their early twenties who may not be in as good form right at the moment, but have far more potential in the long run? I''d love to see Holt there from a NCFC point of view, but from an England one, I''d probably go with the younger ones and give them a run out.

I note that no one is stating that the sloppy pass by Elliot Ward that immediately led to the first Tevez goal was unacceptable. This had far more bearing on the game, as at the time we were looking comfortable. I think the back pass knocked the stuffing out of him and yes his head did drop which I think showed how much he did care. It was almost as if he wanted the ground to swallow him up. Unacceptable is too harsh a word in my opinion. He lacks experience but he will grow with this wonderful team.

[quote user="paul moy"]Ryan Bennett was poor IMO.[/quote]If you''re judging Ryan Bennett on that one performance Paul you need to take your Cody Specs off.....did you see him against Everton and Spurs?

The only thing that I would be making sure that Bennett learnt from yesterday''s match if I were Lambert or Culverhouse would be to make sure that if he attempts to make a back pass then he has to be aware of the proximity of the oppositions strikers to our defensive backline and that he should not severely underhit or overhit a backpass.

I do not disagree with constructive criticism, but in my opinion he had no chance at all of catching Tevez and winning the ball back once he had presented the goalscoring opportunity to him with his initial error.

Well I would have thought Ryan Bennett could work that out for himself smudgallo. I hope he learned to be a bit more switched on when the ball is loose in the box. The main reason Tevez beat him in the air was surprise.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="paul moy"]Ryan Bennett was poor IMO.[/quote]

If you''re judging Ryan Bennett on that one performance Paul you need to take your Cody Specs off.....did you see him against Everton and Spurs?
[/quote]

OK, the balance of opinion is that Bennett had a great game, Lord Horn. I stand corrected.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]I''m going to have a wild guess that Aggy and Pickles aren''t Morison fans........[/quote]

Can''t speak for Aggy, Marv, but, you are right. When in the UK , I tend to use Tesco or Sainsbury for my supermarket needs.

Yes hogesar, this is a funny old place isn''t it. I''m convinced half this lot don''t attend many games and most have never played even minor football. It seems the same old names crop up for a good moan.

Unbelievable!

Well, whilst I was quite enjoying the discussion with Nutty, here come the usual crowd which show why this forum is rubbish. I can''t say I agree with Nutty on most of the points he''s made in here, but at least he has come up with a civilized way of arguing his thoughts. The usual "f off you six fingered Suffolk sc um" is far more effective though :/

Whoever it was that asked, I am actually quite a fan of Morison. I''d like to see him chase down a few more "lost" causes, a la Holt, but when he refinds the form he had at the start of the season, you don''t mind that so much.

CJF - there''s a difference between criticising a player about how he acted in one incident to whinging about his whole performance/ability. I haven''t seen anyone say he isn''t good enough for the prem, or that he should be dropped etc. etc. The most anyone has said is that we were unhappy with how he didn''t chase back and if there are to be any sanctions at all, we''d expect it to be a quiet word from the gaffer letting him know to chase back next time. It''s hardly the whinging mafia coming along to crucify him is it?

DJ - again, it was the lack of effort in tracking back that people are complaining about. I think everyone has accepted that poor backpasses happen, nobody has moaned about that in itself.

Lord Horn, if someone says that Bennett was poor yesterday, then of course they are just basing it on that one performance. Again, if they were saying "Bennett is not good enough for this division", then it would be unfair to use only one game. But if you are talking about that one game, why is it not fair to say he had a bad game if you thought he did? If Holt has a bad game, it doesn''t mean we don''t want him in the sideanymore, it means he had a bad game. If people thought Bennett had a poor game yesterday, it means just that; that they thought he had a poor game yesterday. Nothing more nothing less.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Ryan Bennett had a poor day in only his fourth Premiership match against some of the best strikers in the world.

And the whingers are out in force.... **** off.
[/quote]

the only people out in force as far as i can see are the "great post mate " mafia... who think only their opinion counts and they are custodians of the forum

Aggy - I disagree with the tone and title from the original poster. As it happens more important was the third goal, where Tevez beat Bennett to the header after Ruddy messes up the save.  Then again Tevez is one of the best strikers in the world with years of experience behind him.He had a bad game yes, not many can say they had a good game, but specifically calling him out for what Hoolahan was also guilty of on their fourth goal...  As for sanctions, whichever whinger spoke of that should pee off and offer his supposed "support" to another team.

BTW anyone interested in a really good laugh, there''s a thread appeared where a person is accusing our supporters of racism chants.

Who was it said ''You can''t make it up"?

Surely one of our celebrated sages could contribute and conjure up a few hundred words and make another massive thread for the righteous.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Aggy - I disagree with the tone and title from the original poster.

As it happens more important was the third goal, where Tevez beat Bennett to the header after Ruddy messes up the save.  Then again Tevez is one of the best strikers in the world with years of experience behind him.

He had a bad game yes, not many can say they had a good game, but specifically calling him out for what Hoolahan was also guilty of on their fourth goal...  As for sanctions, whichever whinger spoke of that should pee off and offer his supposed "support" to another team.
[/quote]

Nicer to see you chickenhead[:)][Y]

It''s much harder for a young defender to cement a place in the team than it is a more forward player. This is because at this level defensive mistakes result in goals. A young striker will be remembered for his good moments in the game. A young defender will be remembered for his mistakes. Young forwards have an element of surprise in their game which is an advantage. Young defenders lack the experience which is a much more important quality in that position. Bennett had plenty of good moments yesterday including a magnificent goal saving tackle. But he will be remembered for that back pass.

You are right to point to the third goal. Bennett was waiting for the ball unaware where Tevez was. But these things are not through lack of ability. They are inexperience. And some of that experience has just been gained.

Aggy - these discussions are good and part of what makes the forum enjoyable.[Y]

Well, fair enough CJF. Personally, I didn''t think a post essentially saying that ''making at the very least a token effort to get back and atone for your mistake is what we are about here at NCFC'' was too far off the mark. I would still suggest that criticism about one or two points of a player''s game is not the same as having a whinge for the sake of it.

The same goes for any defender really Nutty - the best ones you often won''t notice too much, because they do their job quietly, make interceptions, are in the right position and so on, but as soon as they make one mistake, it costs you. Whereas attacking players can make mistakes all afternoon, but tap in a winner in the last minute and all is forgotten.

And certainly discussion is why I bother posting on here - I can think my own thoughts all day long, but it''s nice to hear the opinions of others as well. It''s just a shame more people don''t try to have a discussion and instead resort to the "anyone who disagrees with me must be a f*ing sc*mmer" lines. But still, each to their own!

It was unfortunate all round. The right decision, he just didn''t get the execution right. These things happen. Distin''s was much worse because the pass was played completely blind. I have seen Steven Gerrard give Thierry Henry an absolute present like that once. So even the very best do it.

As for the not trying to chase back onto the line to rectify it point. I didn''t really see what he could do. He was never going to get back in time. Once Tevez had rounded Ruddy the only way he wasn''t going to score was if he missed the target altogether.

To be honest I think the whole team''s heads dropped once we went 4-1 down. I wouldn''t criticise them too much for it though. From being well in the game and in with a great shout of a point to being on the verge of receiving an absolute hiding within what seemed like about 60 seconds must have been immensely hard to take.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s still a good forum though Aggy. There are plenty of good posters on here.

[/quote] Good point Nutty, we''re just City fans ...