Sign in to follow this  
Big Rob

Some answers from the boss please

In my opinion Worthy should hold a Q & A forum with the fans at the end of the season. My family have spent a hell of a lot of money at Carrow Road and I would like to have some answers from the man in charge as to some of his decisions this season, many of which are constantly being mentioned on these forums. If so many of us on here can see his shortcomings regarding tactics, team selection, motivation, transfer dealings (Graham Stuart….WHY????)  etc etc why cannot he or his management team. I do feel that Worthy seems to be above reproach for what he has done in the past but in a game like football you cannot live on past achievements.

What Worthy has done this season should have meant he received his P45 from the club months ago when it became apparent he was not learning fast enough. In my view we have players who possess the necessary quality to put up a good fight for survival. However he has persisted in playing the same players who have constantly under performed week in week out at this level, (Holt and Fleming). Also for some reason he has spent money on transfer fees and wages for several players who he has hardly given a chance. In my opinion everytime Safri has played he has looked a far superior player to Holt.

I know there will be people who will slate this post for its anti-worthyness but how much longer are we prepared to give him??

[quote]In my opinion Worthy should hold a Q & A forum with the fans at the end of the season. My family have spent a hell of a lot of money at Carrow Road and I would like to have some answers from ...[/quote]

I have two questions to Worthy:

(1) Why 88th minutes tactial substitution at the Reebok?

(2) Why Jason Shackell make his Premiership debut quite late in our season almost over?

Until the end of next season Rob.  It would have taken a miracle to keep us up this year in the first place, there were people saying we would be pushing for Europe this season (on this board for Pete''s sake!!).  This has been a harsh lesson for all at the club, when(if) we come back up he WILL know who can and can''t cut the mustard at this level & what type of player to bring in. 

OTBC

Like you said, you knew people were going to slate your post and so here I go.  Firstly you state that you and your family have spent a lot of money at Carrow Road.  Well I can safely say that everybody who goes to the Norwich games spend a lot of money to watch the games. You are not the only one!!!. For me this is not an issue. I spent a lot of money this year watching Norwich in the Prem and i was much happier doing this then spending a lot of money 5/6 years ago when we were battling relegation to div 2.  People easily forget this.  Yes Worthington has made mistakes this season but he is still a young manager who is learning his trade.  A LOT OF TEAMS WOULD GIVE THEIR RIGHT ARM TO HAVE HIM. So stop moaning

Why people want him to go is beyond me.  Where is the sense in this. Over the past 4 years he has built a team from sub standard team to a good solid team.  Fair play - not good enough for the premeirship but don''t you want to see him build a team that is.  Personally i think that the team we have this seaon is better then the team we had last year. Francis has been better, Mckenzie has improved and we we have Ashton.  Our defence is not any worse then last season, its just that the strikers in the prem are much more clinical.  Also last year we could out score our opponents because their defence was worse then ours.

If Worthington goes, who do you want to replace him?? Whatever happens it is going to take a new manager 2 years to build his team - and who says its going to be better then the team we have at the minute.  Look at the teams last season who went down from the prem and sacked their manager - leeds, wolves, leceister.  Are they pushing for promotion?  No they are boring mid table.  Would you rather sack worthington and be like them nxt season or keep him and be in the running for promotiuon again? Because if we keep him thats where i we will be, i dont have to justify this because its the truth.

Im fed up with people critcising. Yes we are bottom. I dont like it either but changing the management is not going to help.  In reference about ''why he keeps playing holt, fleming and edworthy''.  Well he keeps playing them because they are the best players we have got 4 them positions.  Holts always plays because we need a player like him 2 defend 2 allow francis to go forward.  Safri has also been injured 4 long periods this season. What worthington said on sat is that he will now play more, so we will see what he is like.  Edworthy is playing 2 because helveg has been injured 4 long periods. Edworthy has not done 2 much wrong i think but we havent really seen what helveg can do because when he has played he hasnt really performed.  In refernce to Fleming - well - he isint up 2 the premiership but is doherty? and charlton was not much better then fleming when he played.

Its a simply case that we have not got the quality to stay up this year.  lets look forward to promotion nxt year and then another crack at the prem.  Im sure we will stay up then.

All the negatives out there - ''sit down shut up''

This is a good post Rob.

The vast majority of fans were, originally, not calling for Worthy''s head. Their concerns focused on his failure to use his squad, quality of signings and continued favouritism to Holt and Flem in particular. Holt never even got off the ground for the 3rd goal on Saturday - it was appalling defending.

Worthy harps on about ''learning curve'' but HAS NOT SAID WHAT HE WOULD NOW DO DIFFERENTLY. That is absolutely fundamental to the whole isue. If you are truly going through a ''learning curve'', you indentify what needs to be done differently given the same situation but he has said NOTHING constructive at all. Without those ideas and action plans for next season, the phrase''learning curve'' is a glib, meaningless excuse for failure.

I still feel that Worthy should be retained BUT he needs to address these widespread concerns (and the Board should be asking him to do so). 

I read his article today with great interest. I can''t disagree with what he is saying but we all know that he should have been saying this kind of thing probably 2 months ago (at least). Yesterday he was even talking about playing Safri in terms of Safri being a young boy who he may as well try now we had nothing to lose. Truth is Safri was axed at half time at Anfield way back in September and only appeared back in the team near Christmas due to injuries. Yet here is a player who cost us £0.5M and we have not given him a fair chance to prove himself.

[quote]I have two questions to Worthy: (1) Why 88th minutes tactial substitution at the Reebok? (2) Why Jason Shackell make his Premiership debut quite late in our season almost over?[/quote]

1) Managers are reluctant to make big tactical changes early, especially if it''s only 1-0. If you can keep it at 1-0 and go three at the back for the last 5 minutes, then that is fairly sensible, definitely away from home.

2) Jason Shackell had not played enough first team football to be thrown in early. I agree he could have been in sooner, but come the end of the season he''ll have 10 or so Premiership games under his belt and a definite starter for next season.

Always look for the positives!

[quote]Like you said, you knew people were going to slate your post and so here I go. Firstly you state that you and your family have spent a lot of money at Carrow Road. Well I can safely say that everybo...[/quote]

Tank, I never said I was the only one. What I was trying to get at was that for all the money that us fans spend on the club it would be nice if he could answer some of our questions. I know he used to attend fans forums but i have not heard of these since we have been up in the prem. I guess he is to busy figuring out which player he is going to play out of position next week!!

I agree you are right about the defense. They were ok in the 1st div but surely it does not take a genius to figure that premiership strike forces are much more lethal. This was an area that should have been improved upon. He tried Charlton but he has fell out of favour since being played out of position on his return from injury. He tried Doc who was beginning to settle down and put in some commanding performances. Why not drop Eddy and Flem though as they too have constantly under performed. He has left it far too late in trying Jason Shackell. He has proved to be a revelation so far and i hope this continues. Helveg has not been given a chance in his favoured position. He was unfortunate in that he was dropped early on and then when he was starting to show his class he got injured. Hopefully he will be here next year and can make a first team spot his own.

If you my friend believe that Eddy and Fleming are the best for their positions then im afraid you do not have much of a clue. As far as other clubs giving their right arm for Worthy? I''d happily take a trade on that as im sure there are many right arms who can do as good a job as he has done this season.

I havent a ''clue'' - well thanks, What u fail to recognise is that we do not have quality in depth. Helveg may be better then edworthy but can u make that assumption after he has only played around 4 hours of football at right back.  Perhaps u can, if so well done - you unfortunately fell through the net of football mangement, so u r left 2 moan on here.  On to Fleming, all the defence has been at fault for some goals this season.  Fleming has been submitted to some abuse recently.  I too think he is not premiership standard. But can you really say that The Doc or Charlton are significantly better then Fleming?? These 2 players have also made mistakes when they have played and perhaps if they played the same games as fleming i would suspect that they would of made just as many of mistakes as him, if not more.  You have got to be real in these situations.

To you my ''friend'' - keep the negativity up and one day you could get worthington sacked.  I HOPE YOU WILL FEEL PROUD OF YOURSELF. He has been one ogf the best managers we have ever had - FACT.  check the records

[quote]I havent a ''clue'' - well thanks, What u fail to recognise is that we do not have quality in depth. Helveg may be better then edworthy but can u make that assumption after he has only played around 4 h...[/quote]

Umm, Flem the same standard as the Doc/Charlton? I think not, both are better players than Fleming but sadly we don''t get to see them anymore, which brings me onto....

We can''t judge Helveg because he''s only played about 4 hours at right back? Hmm, i wonder why that might be? As with all the other new players we haven''t seen? Maybe because of inept management/coaching staff and is why we find ourselves where we are in the table.

''because of inept management/coaching staff and is why we find ourselves where we are in the table.''

The same magement team that got us promoted last season. Something i would of never believed of 5 years ago.

If you feel strong about these opinions, why dont you start a Worthy out chant at the game on Sat. C HOW FAR THAT GETS U

Footballs a funny old game isn''t it?

There are those supporters who question whether Mr W can do any more for the Club given his seeming lack of tactical awareness; the lack of progess this year;the questionability of some of his signings;the lack of games given to some of his signings;the lack of balance in the side and the not very good return on points - we are bottom for goodness sake!!

Then there are those who say that Mr W is good for the Club; that he is "learning" his trade; that we are getting no more than we should have expected; that there is no other Managers out there.

Ho hum

[quote]''because of inept management/coaching staff and is why we find ourselves where we are in the table.'' The same magement team that got us promoted last season. Something i would of never believed of...[/quote]

He is the manager that got us promoted, but he''s not the manager who''s ever going to keep us there.

As for the Worthy out chant, little point at this stage - he should stay in the job if he can start doing the basics of football management - i.e - notice when the team just ISN''T working and which players just AREN''T performing/upto it.

We might as well see if he can get us promoted again, and then see if we need to get someone else in.