Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Performances since Christmas

It has become obvious to all of us that since Christmas, our perfromances have simply not been good enough. At least prior to Christmas, we seemed to be in with a shout in every game, and despite not winning that many matches, we genuinely looked like we might, and had been unlucky in many cases. However, pretty much from Villa away until today - 95% of our performances over 90 minutes have simply not been good enough.

Where has it all gone wrong?

Many blame inept tactics, poor coaching, terrible team selections. All have played there part. And it is plain to all of us, if things don''t change, Worthington''s position will increasingly become untenable - I reckon he still has over 50% of fans behind him, but he is losing support every week. We have lost our last 5 games, and badly too. Hamilton was sacked after such a run. Our worst ever sequence of defeats in our history, presided over by Megson when we were last in the Prem was 7 straight defeats, and with Man utd this weekend, he is edging closer to emulating that. If he does, many more fans will be calling for his head.

Things have to change. I can name at least 4 players in the team who have proven over the last two months not to be able to cope in the Premiership, and one of them is on a short term deal (the other 3 are well documented). It''s time to drop them all. There is no point in persisting if they are not good enough - give some of the others a chance.

So against Man Utd, I would make 7, yes 7 changes. Out goes Edworthy, Fleming, Drury, Stuart, Holt, and McKenzie, and Francis and call up Helveg (RB), Doherty (CB), Charlton (LB), McVeigh (LW), Saffri (CM), Jonson (RW) Bentley (CM). Brennen and Mullers shouldn''t be allowed back in the team at any costs - neither can play at this level.

Also, I don''t know how many of you have realised, but Huckerby is far more effective as a CF. His natural game is to drift wide left like Henry - so lets stop playing him as a winger. Stick him upfront with Ashton and let them forge the partnership they will make next season. At the start of the season when we were doing well Huckerby played centre forward. Get him back there NOW. What have we got left to lose. Only the most embarrasing season ever in the Premiership.

I dont think we fight as hard as we used to. For example, nowadays it only seems to take a goal to beat us. We used to get fired up by conceeding and therefore we got a lot of draws. But now we just seem to sink after conceeding a goal and then it just leads to more goals conceeded.

One game I''ll always remember with pride (and some regret) is away at Pompey. When our ten men fought hard and by rights deserved 2-0 but due to the shocking refereeing left with just a point I thought we really showed what we were made of.Unfortunately seems like a tough xmas period has really (for want of a better phrase) knocked the stuffing out of our players. Our squad seem tired, demoralised and frankly resigned to relegation.

Good to see someone advocating change in such an eloquent manner.

I''m unconvinced with Hucks at CF, I prefer him at left wing using his skills to get around the right back and cross a nice ball into the path of the central forward. McKenzie and Ashton I think continue to get better together as well, so I would advocate for their continued run in the team.

Finally, I would keep Drury simply because I''d rather see Charlie in the middle and I don''t think Brennan is good enough.

I cannot believe how the season has gone and the run we are on now is nothing short of an embarrassment , 5 points out of a possible 42 , simply shocking . l feel a bit sorry for Worthy , if he had been allowed to sign Ashton in August , he may have scored 15-20 goals for us and we''d be ok , maybe . However , Worthy , has brought problems on himself by some of his team selections and l cannot understand why players like McVeigh , Helveg , Safri and now Jonson and Charlton are left on the bench . lt took Worthy at least 8 games before he picked Leon to start , its almost that he didn''t know what team to pick . l''ll probably get other City fans disagreeing with me , but l would have kept Malky , l think it was a disaster selling him and l think he would have done a lot better than Doherty and the 750k we spent on the Doc , could have finanaced a move for someone like Robbie Blake , who could have linked up our midfield and supplied the ammo for Leon , Matty , Hux and latterly Deano . Any other club , would have sacked their manager after this sort of run , l like Worthy , but l think he''s taken us as far as he can ? When you look at our rivals at the bottom , they are all fighting like hell , we are not even in that league , 3 wins in a season , l just can''t believe it ........