Sign in to follow this  
Orford65

Lee Croft available!!

Former ''Player of the season'' has been dumped by Derby County and told to find a new club - no good looking in this direction mate.Only 26 and currently on loan at St. Johnstone - the only way is down! What a plonker.Don''t think PL would have kept him even if he had bothered to stay and help us though.

Nice to see how the "Big Head" has got on since he decided to leave us for better things.LOL LOL  LOLSammy Clingon is another, "oh  Sammy Clingan it could''ve been you"  shortly to be installed as Division player.In fact not many players who choose to leave us do better elsewhere, let me think of a few who haveUmmmmmmmmmmmm Time out can''t think of any.  

Available for what? Coronation Street grease monkey lookalike available for Weddings, Birthdays etc Hen nights a speciality.

We''d just been relegated and he had the choice of playing under the hopeless Bryan Gunn in League 1 or going to a fairly big club in the Championship.

I really haven''t got anything against him. He was one of very few players who fought hard to keep us in the Championship.

Marvin I can assure you I didn''t vote for him for POTS, I have never voted for anyone.

[quote user="The Young One"]Nice to see how the "Big Head" has got on since he decided to leave us for better things.

LOL LOL  LOL

Sammy Clingon is another, "oh  Sammy Clingan it could''ve been you"  shortly to be installed as Division player.

In fact not many players who choose to leave us do better elsewhere, let me think of a few who have

Ummmmmmmmmmmm

Time out can''t think of any.  

[/quote]

I have often thought that not many players leave us and go on to better things. Only Craig Bellamy, Dale Gordon and Chris Woods spring to mind really although to be fair Dean Ashton might have gone on to better things if he hadn''t been injured.

Why would Croft want to stay at a club going into League 1 on probably lower pay? It is just a job to him. Players don''t have loyalties to clubs like fans do. They have to think about what they''re going to do when they can''t play anymore but still need to support their family. I liked Croft as a player but I''m not bitter that he chose to go elsewhere. He needs to make a living too and if something better was put on the table then I don''t blame him.

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]

[quote user="The Young One"]Nice to see how the "Big Head" has got on since he decided to leave us for better things.LOL LOL  LOLSammy Clingon is another, "oh  Sammy Clingan it could''ve been you"  shortly to be installed as Division player.In fact not many players who choose to leave us do better elsewhere, let me think of a few who haveUmmmmmmmmmmmm Time out can''t think of any.   [/quote]

I have often thought that not many players leave us and go on to better things. Only Craig Bellamy, Dale Gordon and Chris Woods spring to mind really although to be fair Dean Ashton might have gone on to better things if he hadn''t been injured.

[/quote]Steve Bruce, Mike Phelan, Dickson Etuhu, Chris Sutton, Andy Townsend, Tim Sherwood?,

[quote user="marvin the martian"]And I bet all four of you voted for him for POTS too. Let us all know if you lose your jobs, then I can take the p1ss out of you.[/quote]

Not me sunshine - never rated him that highly, no end product to his game most of the time.Not exactly going to be on his uppers either - the Jocks will either take him on permanently or a Div 1/2 club will be glad of his services. How ironic.

["GJP"]

We''d just been relegated and he had the choice of playing under the hopeless Bryan Gunn in League 1 or going to a fairly big club in the Championship.

I really haven''t got anything against him. He was one of very few players who fought hard to keep us in the Championship.

Very much agree!

While I never rated Croft that highly you could never accuse the bloke of not trying!

That said he was the most unjust POTS ever. Who actually voted for him!

Wouldn''t want him back now even if we were still in League 1!

[quote user="The Young One"]Nice to see how the "Big Head" has got on since he decided to leave us for better things.LOL LOL  LOLSammy Clingon is another, "oh  Sammy Clingan it could''ve been you"  shortly to be installed as Division player.In fact not many players who choose to leave us do better elsewhere, let me think of a few who haveUmmmmmmmmmmmm Time out can''t think of any.   [/quote]

In my opinion Croft''s defection was worse than Clingan. Sammy left us for 1 million pounds which was desperately needed money as we were spiralling towards financial meltdown. Croft simply let his contract run out and was only putting in effort to get a move elsewhere. Was a disgrace he got player of the season he was an awful player and cost us a lot of money.

First off, I certainly didn''t vote for him for POTS, in fact I was one of many that saw him tirelessly tear down the right hand side only to smash one into the snakepit or out over the top of the Barclay.

BUT...

He did pull his weight (literally) and I think that he''s unfortunately one of those players that fans only seem to remember the bad bits.

Check out this video of the top 10 goals of 06/07 season and the first few goals feature a few peachy assists from a certain large headed chip muncher..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1yGC3ew3Zw

[quote user="bringbackandyhughes"]In my opinion Croft''s defection was worse than Clingan. Sammy left us for 1 million pounds which was desperately needed money as we were spiralling towards financial meltdown. Croft simply let his contract run out and was only putting in effort to get a move elsewhere. Was a disgrace he got player of the season he was an awful player and cost us a lot of money.[/quote]If you look up irony in a dictionary, you may find this as an example (specifically the name bringbackandyhughes in case it''s not obvious).

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="bringbackandyhughes"]In my opinion Croft''s defection was worse than Clingan. Sammy left us for 1 million pounds which was desperately needed money as we were spiralling towards financial meltdown. Croft simply let his contract run out and was only putting in effort to get a move elsewhere. Was a disgrace he got player of the season he was an awful player and cost us a lot of money.[/quote]If you look up irony in a dictionary, you may find this as an example (specifically the name bringbackandyhughes in case it''s not obvious).[/quote]

The irony is most definitely in my username!

I would say he fits the Leeds United bill.

Onto Bigger & Better Things XI

1. Chris Woods

2. Danny Mills

3. Greg Downs (OK, an FA Cup Winners medal, but hey)

4. Steve Bruce

5. Dave Watson

6. Tim Sherwood

7. Ruel Fox

8. Craig Bellamy

9. Chris Sutton

10. Mike Phelan

11. Dale Gordon

He was entitled to make that move. and at the time it was a very shrewd decision We were going absolutely nowhere under Gunn and looked set for a spell of "consolidation" in League 1. He was offered a move to Derby with decent wages no doubt given that he was a free agent. Make no bones about it Derby are a very big club at championship level with a super ground and excellent fanbase even if that has not always been matched by results of late. They could also offer him Championship football so the whole thing was a complete no brainer for him.

I thought Sammy Clingan was the best of a pretty terrible bunch that year so he got my nod for the player of the year. However Crofty wasn''t a dreadful player by any stretch of the imagination. Indeed he had some very good spells particularly around Christmas in the 2007/8 season where you really felt he was going to kick on but it never materialised. Far too often he flattered to deceive running down a blind alley. His fitness and general conditioning were also very questionable and something he could have worked more on. This appears to be a theme which has continued at Derby which has led to Nigel Clough bombing him out.

Crofty is now 26 years old and his career is really at a crossroads now. He should theoretically have about 6 decent years left in him playing at a decent level. Realistically his next move will have to be step down playing either for a small club in the SPL or a club in League 1. What happens then is up to him. If he gets himself fit and really applies himself I think he can get a move back to the Championship. If he doesnt he will probably have either retired or be playing non league football before he is 30.