Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Don't Leave Early

I actually thought there was surprisingly lack of people leaving early the ground still looked fairly full up till the sixth goal went in. Compare and contrast when other sides have taken a pasting and there were not a lot of empty seats.

There are a lot of defensive comments on here from those who advocate leaving early to be a good idea. I simply cannot see the point of departing part-way through; my mantra in life is to do something properly or don’t do it at all. I realise that others do not share my beliefs and values though.

Leaving before the beautiful game has even finished (win, lose or draw) is a non-verbal form of communication that I consider to be insulting to the players – and on that basis alone I would never do it.

If someone stood up to leave and blocked my view of a magical passage of play I’d be less than pleased. It’s selfish behaviour as most people are there to see the whole game and have paid good money to do so. Personally I wouldn''t want to spoil their pleasure.

A Fabrice Muamba moment is the only thing I can think of that would have me going early. God-willing I hope we never have one of those at Carrow Road.

As a yardstick, you don’t see the ex-NCFC pros leaving early to do something of greater emotional value do you?

Ideas:

Swipe the season tickets on entry & departure. Offer the club’s optimum discount to those who stay the whole game over the season and weight the premiums of those who do not. Bit like an insurance no-claims discount. That would sort it out wouldn''t it? Those who think it''s a good idea to leave early would then pay more for the privilege of doing so. They’d be putting their money where their mouth is so to speak.

Alternatively, assign ‘penalty points’ to those who leave early. When it comes to renewal time (bearing in mind we have c.1500 on the waiting list) offer those at the top of the list with no penalty points the option to replace those who have accumulated an undesirable attendance record  

Oh so the earlier someone signed up to this forum shows how much more of a fan they are!? I''m 24 I go to Carrow Road on my own, I try to go when I have money, I''m much more of a fan than half these tossers like you yellow blood. Tbh it confuses me that not many people at Carrow Road show any passion at all, it sounds like a fuckin morgue even in the Barclay end. I cant get my head round that. People seem to just sit there and have a chat and not give two shits about the match, its like a fuckin rugby match. Credit to the snake pit though they are always noisy. Really don''t get it, people walk out so casually all smiley as though they have just been to a concert or the opera. No one tell me this is not true because it is. Much prefer away games!

2 guys who sit behind me and live in Norwich leave about 12 minutes before the end of every game!!!! I just dont get it, having said that it does give my ears some peace as the crap they shout out all game is just that...crap

i left early once... i was 11 and my Dad wanted to leave a game vs QPR as we "Had lost" as we were walking up Carrow Bridge we scored... there must have been 5 minutes left when we left and about 2 minutes left when we scored...I was furious! my dad was apologetic.....I have never left a game early since.. despite the temptation!I wonder how many of the early leavers would down their rifle in the middle of a war and say "thats it.. i''m going home now.. leaving the rest of you to get shot"

Whilst I understand that some people have genuine reasons for leaving early, I''ve never understood the mentality of those who walk out simply for the sake of beating the rush when there are still several minutes to play and the game is delicately poised.

One of the greatest moments of last season (or any season for that matter) was Simeon Jackson''s last second winner against Derby. That was one of the best buzzes I''ve ever had at Carrow Road and other people have said the same. Certainly worth getting home 15 minutes later than I would have done if I''d left a few minutes early! Surely the people who missed that goal must have some regrets?

[quote user="YellowBlood"]Whilst I understand that some people have genuine reasons for leaving early, I''ve never understood the mentality of those who walk out simply for the sake of beating the rush when there are still several minutes to play and the game is delicately poised. One of the greatest moments of last season (or any season for that matter) was Simeon Jackson''s last second winner against Derby. That was one of the best buzzes I''ve ever had at Carrow Road and other people have said the same. Certainly worth getting home 15 minutes later than I would have done if I''d left a few minutes early! Surely the people who missed that goal must have some regrets?[/quote]

I honestly don''t believe they do have regrets. It''s hard to believe I know. Those moments stay with us forever and I can''t imagine missing them. All those who left at 1-4 in the Boro game last time we were a Prem side surely must have regretted it. Moments like that and the Jackson goal against Derby stay with you forever. Stories to tell your grandchildren!  But I''ve never heard anyone say they regretted leaving. And it''s not just at home. Some fans travel hundreds of miles to an away game and leave early so they get back to the coach first or whatever. And it''s not just us. If you look at the away fans at Carrow Road many of them leave early. On Easter Monday the Spuds were streaming out of White Hart Lane even though they were just a single goal down and challenging for Champions League Qualification.

It''s a funny old game!

Seeing as the team went home early, it''s only fair that the fans can go home early as well [;)]

[quote user="London Canary"]Oh so the earlier someone signed up to this forum shows how much more of a fan they are!? I''m 24 I go to Carrow Road on my own, I try to go when I have money, I''m much more of a fan than half these tossers like you yellow blood. [/quote]

Pipe down Mockney...I''ve had a season ticket long before your Mummy and Daddy got cozy. See, by saying you are more of a fan than me shows you really should think before pointing fingers to keys or slagging off fellow supporters.

I personally don''t understand the idea of leaving early unless you have work, need to catch a train or having another pressing engagement. My logic is that you have bought a ticket for the match so surely a large part of your day will revolve around that and therefore you will want to see and enjoy the entire match.

But if people wish to leave it is ultimately their choice and you have to respect that because they have paid their money. Thus they have the same right as any other fan to do as they see fit. The only caveat I would have is that if you wish to leave please do that and do it promptly. Otherwise then it does become a problem as it effects other supporters. People loituring in front of you and blocking your view is the single most infuriating thing at a football ground.

Actually, people that keep droning on about people leaving are really insecure in themselves.  I don''t understand it myself - but am willing to let those people that want to leave early do so without it taking it as some personal insult, or insult to the team. 

The idea  that we are - "all in it together so should stick together right to the end" -  is understandable, but  its like theTitanic- there is a survival instinct at work - not wanting to sink with the ship.    The story of Officer Lightoller on the Titanic is a case in point.  He said he could see what was happening with everyone staying on the ship and that they were mostly not going to make it - so he jumped ship, found something to hang on to in the water and survived.     

Maybe not being there at the final whistle when you are losing is just so you don''t  have to be there when the ship has sunk!