Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

How do we avoid second season syndrome?

So, here''s the big question Lambert will be thinking of over summer.

Not just transfers related, but how do you go about avoiding the inevitable loss of momentum and subsequent relegation second season into the premiership?

While we have an ever improving current squad. I do believe we have won points due to some of the momentum we have gathered over the last few seasons. Key results like QPR matches stopped us ever going on a real bad run of form this season when it had threatened, so i guess the squad has still to be tested in that sense.

My main concern is what we do about our back 4. Bennett and Ayala are probably designed to be the preferred pairing but lack a bit of wisdom and futures of the other centre backs are uncertain.

Tierney will have been out a while, Drury will be another year older and Naughton will be off back.

Add to that that we only have kept 2 clean sheets despite heroics from John Ruddy and we have a real conundrum to solve. It seems we defend with enough fight but our naiveity usually costs us at least once a game (sometimes in midfield possession mind).

To answer ths, do we:

a) spend some serious dough on a top class centre back and a full back, who still won''t guarantee success.

b) keep faith with the remaining lot and maybe supplement them with a low key arrival at full back

c) pick up some older more wise defenders on the cheap but with large wages and hope they can work well in tandem with our young CB''s and bring in a couple of solid full backs.

d) continue scouring the lower leagues for our talent in the hope we can again patch up these areas with some rough diamonds.

e) blame it on our attacking set up and spend big on a better Bradley Johnson type enforcer.

f) wipe the slate clean and come up with some completely new tactics next season

g) look abroad.

One of the main reasons that people cite as being a victim of second season syndrome is that other clubs "work you out".

Whilst I''ve not been overly a fan of the continuous 5/6 changes to our team from match to match this season, this may actually work in our favour next season?

If us fans can''t predict what team or formation Lambert is going to pick each match then what chance the opposition? add to this the fact that we have tried many different systems and formations this season can only add to our armoury next season if we did need to change the way we play.

If anyone is more culpable to this it might well be "everyones 2nd team" Swansea , who have proved on occasion this season that they struggle to play an alternative way if required.

The other thing to do, is the exact opposite of what George Burley did at the filfth at the start of their 2nd season a decade ago by totally unblalancing the spirit of the team by signing the likes of a £4m Finidi George !!!!

Is there really a second season syndrome? This is Newcastle''s second season. And West Broms. Wolves 3rd, Stokes 4th, Sunderland''s 5th, Wigan''s 7th, Blackburn & Bolton''s 11th.....

If the information in the media is true we spent significantly more proportionately on Howson and Bennett than we did on the summer signings, which suggests that the policy was to be prudent until we had guaged our ability to stay up and then go for more expensive but relatively proven signings, so it will be interesting to see who comes in over the summer.

I don''t think we''ll be worked out, as has been said before, simply because we don''t have a particular system (something which has started to cause Swansea problems) and I don''t think Lambert will lose focus.

How do we avoid second season syndrome?

Trust Paul Lambert and support the team even through barren spells.

If we can avoid letting in 55 goals plus in 38 matches, the chances are we''ll stay up.  This season we''ve had only 2 clean sheets, but because of our attacking style we''ve had goals pinging in from all over the place, not to mention Grant Holts very impressive haul.The key to performing even better defensively could just be having a settled back 4.  I''m thinking back to the old Arsenal back 4 of the 80s here, Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, and the other fella - week in, week out, doing their job well.  With Bennett settling in, and once Ayala returns to fitness, not to mention Whitbread, we have 3 decent centre backs.  Russell Martin has been consistently good too.  Naughton has to return to Spurs, and will be missed - his shoes will need to be filled.   Maybe 1 or 2 new additions in defence would help - but we already have the nucleus of a good mid-table / top 10 squad here, as results have shown - it''s getting to the point where only marquee signings will improve on what we have I suspect.If we can keep scoring as many as we do, and let a few goals less in, I think the top end will be more likely than the bottom.  Due to the squads strength in depth, it would have to take a serious injury crisis or loss of confidence to cause us to struggle as Wolves, Bolton or Blackburn have this season.  I certainly can''t see the latter happening.

Interesting.  Personally I think our back 4 won''t change much over the summer, aside from having to replace Naughton unless we can do a deal to keep him.

At full-back all of Tierney, Drury and Martin have done well, so with Naughton/replacement we''ll have good cover.

Similarly at CB, Lambert obviously views Ayala and Bennett as the future, and we have good cover given that Ward and Whitbread have both done well.  It''s not an area of weakness like it was last time we were in the Prem.  Query over Barnett''s future, given the success of Martin as CB cover, do we need him and will he want to stay as 5th choice CB when they are all available.  This season has shown that you need plenty of cover at CB though, so it''ll be interesting to see what PL does.  But I can''t see him bringing in a quality CB at great expense - if he was going to do that, the start of this season was the time, now we have a good set of CBs with Premier League experience unlike this time last year.

So I think PL will be focusing more on our front line and midfield.  Up front we need a second goalscorer alongside Holt.  It could be Morison back to form, or Vaughan, but I''d certainly feel more comfortable if we have a new striker coming into the squad.

In midfield we have plenty of attacking options.  I think we need someone else who can do the defensive midfield role as Johnson has been inconsistent and I don''t think Crofts has made the step up.

So I''m expecting fewer signings than last year.  If we could sign Naughton permanently and bring in a striker with potential and a good defensive midfielder, I''d be happy.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Is there really a second season syndrome? This is Newcastle''s second season. And West Broms. Wolves 3rd, Stokes 4th, Sunderland''s 5th, Wigan''s 7th, Blackburn & Bolton''s 11th.....

[/quote]

Hull, Reading, Ipswich, Wigan (even though they did stay up). I know it''s part and parcel of being a lower premiership club, but i do think there is an element of it. I could probably back it up with data, but i can''t be bothered to collect it!

It''s the ''suprise packages that are more culpable too. The likes of Newcastle and Sunderland had money to burn. We don''t have this and so have to find the renewed team spirit and work ethic to at least match this season or we''ll slide down the table.

I would be far more worried if I was a Swansea fan. If managers had followed Paul Lambert''s example at the Liberty, where he showed the tactics needed to beat them (Mancini clearly didn''t), Swansea could have found themselves in a much worse position than they are currently.

Caulker is likely to go back to Spurs. The permanent signing of Sigurdsson is far from a foregone conclusion (and he has  been far and away their main talisman in the second half of the season). Vorm is a likely target for wealthier clubs during the summer.

These are three extremely key players in what is a relatively thin squad which, unlike Norwich''s, is still littered with players with limited Premiership experience.

Lambert''s tactical nous is a major plus, and I would be extremely surprised if we finished below Swansea next season.

I agree, I think it could be tougher for Swansea than us.

They don''t have much variation to their play. They keep the ball for long periods but they don''t do too much with it in the final third.

We''re much more unpredictable and much harder to work out.

But then you''d expect Brendan Rodgers will make changes to make Swansea a different or more difficult proposition next season.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Hull, Reading, Ipswich, Wigan (even though they did stay up). I know it''s part and parcel of being a lower premiership club, but i do think there is an element of it. I could probably back it up with data, but i can''t be bothered to collect it!

[/quote]

You''re probably right Jimmy. I just think stuff like this is worrying for worryings sake. This Season it was "the Blackpool syndrome" even though we never remotely fitted it!  In Hull''s case this syndrome started halfway through their first season anyway. I don''t remember the others but I would think more second season teams stay up than go down.

We are Norwich so let''s set "The Norwich Syndrome" [:)]

Is there really a second season syndrome?  

[/quote]There''s certainly something called "difficult second album syndrome", perhaps the two got muddled up.

[/quote]It''s just a myth I reckon.  That''s caught on just because it sounds like a snappy buzz phrase.  You come up, you go straight back down...no errr second season is ,right ok... err but what about Stoke? Newcastle? etc etc.  It''s all BS, as long as the squad is happy and settled, plus we add a little more quality we''ll be fine again.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]For every team it''s happened to I''m sure you can find a least one it hasn''t.  If it was a real phenomenon they''d be far more examples than 2 or 3, without checking I don''t think there is.

If there is such a syndrome the way in which Lambert will probably try to avoid it is by knocking on the head any kind of complacency, from himself, his staff and the players. This is why I suspect there will be more of a clear-out of players this summer than some fans believe. There is really no room for sentimentality.

Five initial suggestions.

Firstly the #1 player acquistion priority - get in a quality midfield enforcer to engender a significant reduction in  the goals against column.

Consider converting Elliot Bennett to right full back.

Ship out in early summer anyone who''s not happy with the fantastic opportunity he''s been afforded.

Sustain and intensify the multi-tactics approach.

Ensure that Lambert, McNally and their key support staff are comfortable with their contractual arrangements going forward.

OTBC

By doing exactly what we did this season!

Buying young and hungry decent lower League players + maybe a couple of guys with Prem experience, all of whom would be grateful for the chance to play for Norwich and who won''t unpset the applecart!

While doing this get rid of the likes of Francomb, Chris Martin, Lappin, Dawkin, Crofts and possibly Wilbraham.

quite simply the momentum we have had is still going to be there, but no doubt Reading, Soton and anyone but West Ham would have momentum.We all know that the fixture list does give you a helping hand at the start of the season, a few points on the board in the first month is vital.But that is not something we can control in the summer.Firstly, we look at our current team, reward and make sure they are prepared for the vigours of the new season. There is no excuse for not being ready and I expect them to be at the races and hungry from day 1.Secondly we look at which players warrant a new contract for the upcoming season and whether there are players we feel can fit the ethos and improve us on the field. There is no question we have improved areas on the field with each transfer window. I too think a few more players will leave a few on low transfer fees who are very much fringe players, one surprise sale which will bring in some much needed money and two not resigned and this will free up wages.Thirdly we buy well, there are areas of weakness but we buy players who improve our first 11 and hence move some of those who are in that squad to the first team squad. We need stability at the back. It is great to have had weaknesses this year and areas to improve, our defensive play is very much in need of improving as we will need clean sheets next season.Finally as fans we get aware of where we will be as each premiership team will improve. Next season with our budget I would take 15th. We will be considered still a relegation contender and one team that all will expect to stay up from the championship would be West Ham. So as fans we need to realise that until the summer spending is over and fixtures are set that we can have an idea. But do I expect us to finish as high as this? No I do not. If we do amazing and Lambert needs the key to the city at the very least. But next season as with all clubs 40 points or survival as quickly as we can is the aim and the end of the 2012-13 season as long as three other teams are in the relegation spots I do not care.Just very excited that we can go back into the transfer window and pick up some new players. As I said I expect 3-4 new players with a few of our current out of contract players coming back in. Right back, central midfielder, winger and striker would be my dream list.

It''s really simple, this one.  First, we have to cut the squad down and get rid of the dead wood:Ruddy - too many mistakesRudd - not enough experienceDrury - too oldNaughton - too youngWard - too error proneR Bennett - didn''t try to recover a poor back pass against Man City, lacks commitmentBarnett - too error prone, sounds too much like BennettWhitbread - too injury proneTierney - too injury proneSurman - too lightweightFox - too lightweightHoolahan - show ponyE Bennett - poor man''s PilkingtonPilkington - poor man''s CroftCrofts - poor man''s FoxJohnson - industrial cloggerMorison - can''t be bothered to even try to describe himJackson - blows hot and coldWilbraham - not good enoughVaughan - too injury proneThen we buy shedloads of really good players, train them into a crack elite unit over the summer and get into the Champions League on the last day of the season by beating Southampton 9-1.

[quote user="Harry"]How do we avoid second season syndrome?

Trust Paul Lambert and support the team even through barren spells.[/quote]This...But as other people it says, second season syndrome doesnt exist. If a team struggles then its down to that, if a team does well then its ignored. Its similar to small man syndrome.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s really simple, this one.  First, we have to cut the squad down and get rid of the dead wood:Ruddy - too many mistakesRudd - not enough experienceDrury - too oldNaughton - too youngWard - too error proneR Bennett - didn''t try to recover a poor back pass against Man City, lacks commitmentBarnett - too error prone, sounds too much like BennettWhitbread - too injury proneTierney - too injury proneSurman - too lightweightFox - too lightweightHoolahan - show ponyE Bennett - poor man''s PilkingtonPilkington - poor man''s CroftCrofts - poor man''s FoxJohnson - industrial cloggerMorison - can''t be bothered to even try to describe himJackson - blows hot and coldWilbraham - not good enoughVaughan - too injury proneThen we buy shedloads of really good players, train them into a crack elite unit over the summer and get into the Champions League on the last day of the season by beating Southampton 9-1.

[/quote]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s really simple, this one.  First, we have to cut the squad down and get rid of the dead wood:

Ruddy - too many mistakes
Rudd - not enough experience
Drury - too old
Naughton - too young
Ward - too error prone
R Bennett - didn''t try to recover a poor back pass against Man City, lacks commitment
Barnett - too error prone, sounds too much like Bennett
Whitbread - too injury prone
Tierney - too injury prone
Surman - too lightweight
Fox - too lightweight
Hoolahan - show pony
E Bennett - poor man''s Pilkington
Pilkington - poor man''s Croft
Crofts - poor man''s Fox
Johnson - industrial clogger
Morison - can''t be bothered to even try to describe him
Jackson - blows hot and cold
Wilbraham - not good enough
Vaughan - too injury prone

Then we buy shedloads of really good players, train them into a crack elite unit over the summer and get into the Champions League on the last day of the season by beating Southampton 9-1.

[/quote]

So Steer, Holt, Ayala, Adeyemi, RMartin and CMartin you''re Choppy''s spine. So to speak.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s really simple, this one.  First, we have to cut the squad down and get rid of the dead wood:Ruddy - too many mistakesRudd - not enough experienceDrury - too oldNaughton - too youngWard - too error proneR Bennett - didn''t try to recover a poor back pass against Man City, lacks commitmentBarnett - too error prone, sounds too much like BennettWhitbread - too injury proneTierney - too injury proneSurman - too lightweightFox - too lightweightHoolahan - show ponyE Bennett - poor man''s PilkingtonPilkington - poor man''s CroftCrofts - poor man''s FoxJohnson - industrial cloggerMorison - can''t be bothered to even try to describe himJackson - blows hot and coldWilbraham - not good enoughVaughan - too injury proneThen we buy shedloads of really good players, train them into a crack elite unit over the summer and get into the Champions League on the last day of the season by beating Southampton 9-1.

[/quote]

So Steer, Holt, Ayala, Adeyemi, RMartin and CMartin you''re Choppy''s spine. So to speak.

OTBC

[/quote]Ah look, anyone I forgot clearly isn''t good enough or I''d have remembered them in the first place.  Except Holty, he''s the spine, the soul, the heart , the DNA and the blood of this club.  Without him we''d be in League Three.

For me it''s pretty simple.

If we keep Lambert and Culverhouse until May 2013 we will have a third season in the Premiership. Forget the dreaded syndrome.

Their motivation, psychology, training, signings, midfield rotations and tactical excellence are solely responsible for the back to back promotions and Premier League survival.

They make us perform to a far higher ability than we really should do and if they stay on board like Pulis has done at Stoke we have every chance of establishing ourselves as they have in this league.

The biggest key to next season will be ,to like this one, not get beaten by the sides at the bottom of the league. Our points haul from the bottom 5 teams in this league from 9 games (the 10th being Blackburn on Saturday) is 19 points which is a significant proportion of our overall total.

There''s no such thing as ''second season syndrome'' - no more than there''s a ''divine right to stay up'' syndrome. We simply need to win more matches than we lose - not easy, but simple.  Why complicate things when we have a manager in Paul Lambert who likes to keep things simple?

He''s made a perfectly good job of it so far.