Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

The most loveable, charismatic player to play for City?

[quote user="judderman"][quote user="norfolkchance1"]When I read the title Fleck was the first person I thought of. Holt is the modern day equivalent. Also a mention for Lappin though, I''ve never seen anyone happier when City score and he''s in the team.[/quote]
i would love to see him score another goal for city before he leaves!
[/quote]......so would all city fans, just so he can bow out on a high, if he is leaving that is. a true gentleman. wish all footballers had his decency and loyalty.

When I saw the title of the thread, and before reading the replies, I thought of Kevin Keelan, and reading Mister Chops reply, I thought of Dave Bennett (similar reasons)

Probably Fleck for loveable but Grant is very close and probably ahead on sheer weight of personality.

I''d also put a vote in for Steve Bruce, believe it or not. In his day he was a big personality, who I even remember answering a spectator at a corner just as the noise subsided. The bloke shouted to him to "head it in Stevie", to which Bruce responded that he would.

He didn''t, but still ... there will always be the Ipswich semi-final for that!

I know that his managerial stint has dulled his reputation, but Gunny for me.

Three incidents in particular sum up his charisma:

1) Baiting Lothar Matthaus at the end of the Bayern game. Matthaus was complaining to the ref about something, Gunn pushed between them as if we wanted to take the goal kick, Matthaus went nuts and got booked.

2) Taking the resulting free-kick from the penalty spot after Ipswich had that last-minute penalty overturned by that hopeless referee (Kevin Lynch?)

3) Nutmegging Lee Chapman about 15 yards outside his box, right in front of the City fans at Elland road.

Great player, great relationship with the fans. Terrible manager, but I for one can forgive him for that.

Kevin Keelan, Barry Butler, Duncan Forbes, Robert Fleck and Grant Holt for me.

But if I had to choose only one, it would have to be Kevin Keelan. Priceless.

OTBC