Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Olympic squad

so 80 players have been selected in a provisional 80 man squad the FA have said but they have only released a few names so far some of which are strange to say the least, Joe Cole who is on loan at Lille, Josh McCeachran who has kept the bench warm at Swansea since January and Jack Butland who is a keeper on loan at CHELTENHAM but does anybody think any of our players have been selected? It has also been said anyone playing at Euro 2012 cannot play in the Olympics. I really would hope some of our players have been selected such as Pilkington or Elliott Bennett or Ryan Bennett. what do others think?

Apparently the squad has been reduced from 191 to  a ''shortlist'' of 80!!!!!!!

And the 80 ''''survivors'' are currently being contacted by the FA.

OTBC

And a Saturday tea time show will be aired, whittling them down to the final 22.  Judged by Simon Cowell, Jimmy Krankie, Paul Daniels and the lead singer of Ned''s Atomic Dustbin.

I''m not sure when the cut off line is, in terms of being 23. Pilkington turns 24 before the start of the olympics, so might rule him out. You''d have thought that certainly Ryan Bennett would be in with a chance, given he''s played for the U21s before.

Not sure if the olympics will offer the players any better experience than what they''ve done this season.   Would prefer that if they are not in the full international squad that they have a rest, recharge the batteries.    The close season isn''t very long.  Need them fresh for next season!

Grant Holt for the olympics. There''s a new campaign.

I think they only have a chance if they''re 23 or under as we can only have 3 players over 23, slots which have probably already been filled. Becks has one of them. Maybe Joe Cole...

Doubtful, is my conclusion...

i am completely against beckham being on the squad at 37 he is just too old and no longer plays to prem standard.   There are plenty of good pros who would relish playing in a genuine international tournament but have not been able to and be able to mentor some youngsters in tournament play should be the prime considerations.

Players like holt, giggs, bellamy or the likes of Jason Roberts?

I have not seen the list of 80,  but I would hope that Pilkington, Bennett, Naughton & Rudd all have chances.   If they go and do well (which they would) it can only enhance their value, start the season match fit and they will learn too - nothing wrong with that (as long as they dont get injured!!)

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

i am completely against beckham being on the squad at 37 he is just too old and no longer plays to prem standard.   There are plenty of good pros who would relish playing in a genuine international tournament but have not been able to and be able to mentor some youngsters in tournament play should be the prime considerations.

Players like holt, giggs, bellamy or the likes of Jason Roberts?

I have not seen the list of 80,  but I would hope that Pilkington, Bennett, Naughton & Rudd all have chances.   If they go and do well (which they would) it can only enhance their value, start the season match fit and they will learn too - nothing wrong with that (as long as they dont get injured!!)

[/quote]Me too, I just can''t believe people still fall for ''Beckham hype''.  Was he a decent player? Of course he was. Was he as good as the hype that surrounded him that claimed he was one of the world''s best? Was he hell.  He may be a good ambassador for sport, but the Olympic team simply doesn''t need a washed up old has been. Give me Giggs every time, imo has always without doubt been better than Beckham.

Slightly off-topic but Jackson is hoping to be picked for the Canada team for the olympics. I could possibly see Ryan Bennett get a call-up as well so England vs. Canada would be interesting if it happened.

Pinkun''Role ModelReally? Come on.......The bloke single handly carried England for quiet a while.He won trophy after trophy at United and did very well at Madrid, even playing for Milan after.Hes playing at a average standard now, but we''ll worth his place in the GB squad.

Beckham was a hell of a player in his day, no denying that, went through a shit spell when all the fam got to him, moved to Real and played poorly for England, but seemed to come good again after he moved on to the States.Would lvoe to see him captaining the British football team, deserves it for what he has done in helping London win the olympic bid. With Beckham being a dead cert it leaves 2 places for over 23s and i would suggest Bellamy, Giggs or Given, most likely Giggs and Given

[quote user="Morisos Prozac"]Slightly off-topic but Jackson is hoping to be picked for the Canada team for the olympics. I could possibly see Ryan Bennett get a call-up as well so England vs. Canada would be interesting if it happened.[/quote]

Canada didn''t qualify (unless Jackson lied in the programme, think it was the Wolves game, his interview in their, Canada olympics question was asked and he said they didn''t qualify)

[quote user="CDMullins"]Pinkun''Role ModelReally? Come on.......The bloke single handly carried England for quiet a while.He won trophy after trophy at United and did very well at Madrid, even playing for Milan after.Hes playing at a average standard now, but we''ll worth his place in the GB squad.[/quote]Yeah I mean in all of our recent World Cup and European championship wins Becks was instrumental...we''ve been too reliant on him for too long.

[quote user="canarydan23"]I will bet you £1,000,000,000 that Given is not selected in the Great Britain Olympic football team.[/quote]haha good point, do Ireland have a football team in the olympics? perhaps we will see a Scottish player taking the slot, perhaps someone like Gary Caldwell or Charlie Adam

[quote user="CDMullins"]Pinkun''Role ModelReally? Come on.......The bloke single handly carried England for quiet a while.He won trophy after trophy at United and did very well at Madrid, even playing for Milan after.Hes playing at a average standard now, but we''ll worth his place in the GB squad.[/quote]Come on what?  His hype was world class, I don''t think he was.  Two reasons why Fergie sold him was because he was too slow, and had only one leg.

If Beckham gets picked it makes a mockery of the whole tournament. I suspect Stuart Pearce has little say in the matter though as Beckham''s value as a tool for advertising revenue and publicity has always outweighed his ability. Nice bloke who has squeezed the absolute maximum out of his natural talents and for that he is a wonderful role model for the young players of today. But he was never one of the best players in the world and he has effectively been retired for the last two or three years. If we have ant pretence of trying to win the tournament he should be nowhere near the squad.

Pinkun''Role Model

Really? Come on.......

The bloke single handly carried England for quiet a while.

He won trophy after trophy at United and did very well at Madrid, even playing for Milan after.

Hes playing at a average standard now, but we''ll worth his place in the GB squad.

Come on what?  His hype was world class, I don''t think he was. 

Two reasons why Fergie sold him was because he was too slow, and had only one leg.

Do you really think Becks was sold for ''footballig reasons''?