Sign in to follow this  
Canarino

Fabio to be loaned out next season

I think he''d be a good acquisition. Do you think that one branch of the Glaswegian Football Managers'' Club might help out another?

I saw this earlier and thought the same, would be good competition for Tierney, would be a bit harsh on Drury who i think has earnt himself a new contract since the turn of the year, but we have to keep looking to move forward as a club

Damn, looks like he''s off to Benfica :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9205873/Manchester-United-agree-a-deal-to-sign-Benficas-Nicolas-Gaitan-for-20m-plus-Fabio-and-Federico-Macheda.html

[quote user="thenorthstand"]I''d have him in a second, along with a few of the other United youngsters, though think Fergie''s son will get first dibs...[/quote]Not at the expense of Premier League football.Fabio would make a good signing, similar to how Naughton has been this season. As fantastic and loyal as Drury has been for us, I think it is probably the right time to let him go in order to try to build a squad capable of establishing us a regular in the Premier League.

And a loanee would be ''establishing us a regular in the Premier League''?

Personally, if we can''t buy anyone better than Tierney, or we choose to spend our money on other positions in the next transfer window, then I can''t see the point of letting Drury go and bringing someone else in either on loan or as a backup. What''s the point? Drury has shown he can do a job as a back up, so why bring someone in unless they are going to be better than our first choice?

The right back position, a loanee wouldn''t be a bad thing, as we have only got Martin who can play there. So if we loan someone to save a hefty transfer fee, that''s fair enough. But what''s the point when we''ve got a first team left back who has shown he''s more than good enough for a mid table prem side, with a back up who has shown he is more than capable of filling in when required? Until we can afford to bring in someone with real quality permanently, it seems silly to let Drury go and replace with a loanee.

Unless there is an option to buy I''d rather we avoid the loan market. We don''t need to bring in loads of players so there should be enough in the kitty to buy those that we do.

Naughton has been great and I''d love to see him stay at the club, but we''ve probably doubled his value for Tottenham and paid a reasonably large sum to do so.

[quote user="Aggy"]And a loanee would be ''establishing us a regular in the Premier League''?

Personally, if we can''t buy anyone better than Tierney, or we choose to spend our money on other positions in the next transfer window, then I can''t see the point of letting Drury go and bringing someone else in either on loan or as a backup. What''s the point? [/quote]Competition? Like Martin and Naughton this season?And it isn''t like we are going to flood the squad with loanees a la Roeder, because we are only allowed two domestic loans, and I can''t see Lambert bringing in kids on loan from Marseille or Valencia''s Under-18 sides.

Competition like Drury and Tierney you mean? If we can''t get someone significantly better than either of those two, what''s the point in spending money on someone when to replace a player who has shown this season they are capable of doing a job? We''ve got competition. We''d be releasing one player only to spend money on someone else to bring in the same competition we''ve already got.

Either buy someone better than both Tierney and Drury, or keep them both.

Complete hunch here (I must be one of the few people on this board who doesn''t have a friend working at the club!) but it wouldn''t surprise me if Lambert went back in for de Laet this Summer on a perm.

No opinion offered on the pros and cons, just a hunch.

Joe Bennett from Boro would be a very good addition if Drury was to move on. Very highly rated and has the potential to be a mixture of Tierney and Drury (Drury''s defending, Tierney''s attacking). Would only confuse matters with his surname though!

Lambert has exploited the loan market successfully every season he has been here.    This season it has worked well too - De laet and Naughton good signings, the first lost favour and confidence after some mistakes but looked solid while Naughton has been a gem, significantly better than we have and for me is a must by come the season end.

Fabio looks another who is both ready to play regular prem football and has the potential to be better than we have.   Drury will be 35 next year and will be a valuable member of teh squad but struggles with consecutive games which will only get worse.  And tierny has been out much longer than expected - who is to say that will not niggle on next season?

Lamber knows how to play the loan game - if he targets and brings in quality players as he has done then we benefit.  

[quote user="Mahogany"]Unless there is an option to buy I''d rather we avoid the loan market. We don''t need to bring in loads of players so there should be enough in the kitty to buy those that we do. Naughton has been great and I''d love to see him stay at the club, but we''ve probably doubled his value for Tottenham and paid a reasonably large sum to do so.[/quote]

I couldn'' agree more. The loan system is what makes the Premiership a two tier competition where it is failure for a handful of clubs to finish 5th and success for the majority to finish 17th.

The sooner the system is scapped to give all clubs a better opportunity for true success the better.