Sign in to follow this  
Ruddy Marvelous!

New Kit Police Investigation

WTF''s this all about ?

Mr McNally''s gone way overboard on this. It''s NCFC''s fault for having a slapdash IT dept.

Presumably in the small print there''s bound to be something to the effect that anything on NCFC''s website is copyright but the paranoia at Carrow Road these days is breathtaking. If correct then telephoning this kid in the middle of the night is way out of order about such a piffling matter.

We have to accept that the Press Dept has become something of a '' tight ship '' since the present Chief Exec took over but this really is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. No wonder ITFC are chortling.....

Presumably a season ticket ban of at least a lifetime now beckons for the unfortunate Mr Brown [;)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]And we have paid our taxes for the police investigation...what a monumental F*ck up by the club....

They should release an apology to the young man and all concerned...

I know the club read this message board....I will be contacting you in due course Mr Mcnally for a contribution to my tax i pay for the club wasting police time...

how many real crimes could they be solving...

Someone should be sacked for incompetance.
[/quote]

The clowns in charge of the club''s IT.
[/quote]

dont care who.... sack the cleaner for all i care!
[/quote]

Buck stops at the top. Delia can''t be sacked so McNally has to go.....

Simples! (I think that''s right)

Bit OTT SOAG. Where''s the theft? Freely available on a club website page despite no link. I''m afraid this is down to the clubs IT wallahs who needed to prepare a page offline until ready to be published - it''s not rocket science I''m afraid.

If there''s no more details forthcoming then it''s time for representations from the fans to tell the club to sort themselves out and not to persecute a fan who has merely been curious, hardly any malice is it? Just excitement.

"im happy that they have informed the police if they suspect a crime

has been commited, I believe they have a duty to do this and the lad

will get a slap on the wrist. He knew what he was doing was wrong, why

shouldnt he be punished?The amount cyber crime costs this country annually is £27billion"Sorry Son Ova Gunn, but you''ve got this all wrong.The photo that kid had, was downloaded onto his computer, but it was hidden by a piece of code, which would have been removed after the kit launch.  If you had gone to the same page, it would have been downloaded onto yours.  I believe it would have been downloaded into his images cache if it was in the css, but it was obscured from view.  The intellectual property should not have been placed on a live site until after the kit launch.What this boy has done is very very different to the tactics employed by cyber criminals.

I don''t imagine that Aviva are too delighted by this over-reaction from the club swamping what they must have hoped would be a positive response to the shirt/sponsorship deal. More proof that the adage about there being no such thing as bad publicity doesn''t always hold true.

[quote user="Ruddygore"]Bit OTT SOAG. Where''s the theft? Freely available on a club website page despite no link. I''m afraid this is down to the clubs IT wallahs who needed to prepare a page offline until ready to be published - it''s not rocket science I''m afraid.

If there''s no more details forthcoming then it''s time for representations from the fans to tell the club to sort themselves out and not to persecute a fan who has merely been curious, hardly any malice is it? Just excitement.[/quote]

So if there was no hacking involved and just a simple copywrite infringment or something similar im sure the kid will not even see his wrists slapped and therefore no problem. However, has the police investigation uncovered that these images were obtained without illegal methods or did the club know this before they called the police? (An extreamly pertinant point considering the club is being called into question for contacting them) Also are you seriously telling me that a 17yr old IT student was the only person to stumble upto these images that were not hidden and freely available for everyone to see, that this kid could of as equally been you or I today in the news?

I''m not seriously telling you that I have all the facts SOAG but have we heard that the lad "hacked" into the club''s or web designer''s office servers or taken the image from a downloaded page on the website?

Storm in a eggcup SOAG I''m afraid that reporting to the police makes the club look like bumbling idiots and does them no favours.

Buck stops with the IT Dept SOAG looks like.

Nothing was hacked, he simply looked at "data" that was openly sent to his computer from the website, anyone technical could do it but most wouldn''t think to. This make NCFC look small time IMO.

I''m just struggling to take this seriously. If what I am reading here is right then it certainly does make the club look small time. It reflects even more badly on McNally and even Delia. And it makes the police look even more ridiculous for entertaining it. That''s why I''m "''avin'' a laugh''. Maybe there''s more to it? Or maybe the club are small time and the police are ridiculous? Either way it''s hard to take it seriously.

I really hope the guy doesn''t lose his season ticket because this is pathetic. He didn''t even hack the website he just found images of the kit hidden on it, all this should do is make the club look into its website security.

I know the guy that done it and it is a bit OTT from the club who clearly didn''t get the facts from their IT department (or those hosting the site) before reacting. Leaving image links in CSS and setting them to hidden (or whatever similar piss poor action was done) means the images were hosted online and available, they were not protected. Just because a direct link isn''t on the website doesn''t mean its not accessible. Stupid.

I tend to agree with most on here, yet another OTT reaction from the club!

It''s only a bloody football kit! Not that nice to boot, that flipping great collar, run too fast and you might be able to take off.....

As for that stupid pass it on advert, who the hell was in charge of that tripe!

Why do they put collars on football shirts?

OTT in my opinion, as his mother said ''why couldn''t the club contact the boy directly ? '' I also feel that anyone in the clubs IT department shouldn''t be punished, just re-trained to not let it happen again.

If any of us had found the club new shirt, who would not have posted it on here ?

It''s a shame that the police don''t take as much interest in cases where someone''s credit card gets ripped off online. Absolutely pathetic reaction by the club.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

WTF''s this all about ?

Mr McNally''s gone way overboard on this. It''s NCFC''s fault for having a slapdash IT dept.

Presumably in the small print there''s bound to be something to the effect that anything on NCFC''s website is copyright but the paranoia at Carrow Road these days is breathtaking. If correct then telephoning this kid in the middle of the night is way out of order about such a piffling matter.

We have to accept that the Press Dept has become something of a '' tight ship '' since the present Chief Exec took over but this really is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. No wonder ITFC are chortling.....

Presumably a season ticket ban of at least a lifetime now beckons for the unfortunate Mr Brown [;)]

[/quote]

I am an techno-idiot but the consensus seems to be that the club actually published these images in cyberspace (it apparently didn''t mean to but it did) and this kid then republished them. If so, and this wasn''t a case of hacking (which is serious) then this is an over-reaction by the club, but a predictable one. As ASMS says, there has been a change in PR policy. At the risk of immodesty I said so on my website two years ago:

There has also been a more aggressive PR stance, as if we have been trying to show just how damned hard we now are. Which might be fine if everything was being well-handled. But when not it looks plain embarrassing.

Having just watched McNally on the news as well as the young man involved it would seem NCFC have been a bit overzealous.

McNally should reprimand the staff who created the problem not a fan who is keen on the club and wanted to see the new kit.

NCFC created the hype and i hope they learn from it.

H

Well the comments on Yahoo news about the club wasting police time when there''s serious crime going on in the streets is enough to turn your hair grey.

[quote user="hogesar"]I know the guy that done it and it is a bit OTT from the club who clearly didn''t get the facts from their IT department (or those hosting the site) before reacting. Leaving image links in CSS and setting them to hidden (or whatever similar piss poor action was done) means the images were hosted online and available, they were not protected. Just because a direct link isn''t on the website doesn''t mean its not accessible. Stupid.
[/quote]

Spot on Hogesar - really should be Premium TV and NCFC IT dept getting the kicking.  I have a feeling that McNasty may have invested rather too much in this launch, chanced upon the Tweet by Chris Simth and probably went hyper and didn''t check the full facts before going to the police, such was his anger at the leak.  If he had waited until after breakfast the followihng morning I have a feeling hew would have had a different target for his anger.  Apology demanded McNasty.

Very sad to see this. It appears that yesterday was the day Norwich City became a ''nasty'' corporate club.

Not impressed with releasing a new kit which is essentially identical to the previous years'' one, solely to wring more money out of the loyal fans. If it had been a complete redesign of the kit, then fair enough - but it''s virtually identical to this season''s kit, which is in itself fairly average. Clearly they had no interest in the actual design, just in making the smallest possible changes to get away with ripping off the fans.

But what''s really out of order is bringing the police in to investigate something which (a) may or may not have been a crime; and (b) certainly caused no financial damage to the club whatsoever. It''s hardly like this kid was hacking into club accounts and posting financial data online or something - What difference did a handful of people seeing the new kit a few hours early make? Absolutely Zero. Disgusting behavior more reminiscent of money-grabbing multinational corporations or the music industry than the supposedly ''friendly, local club'' which NCFC sells itself as.

I have a lot of respect for what McNally has done to turn the club around, but this is out of order. For the first time in my life, I''m actually ashamed to be a Norwich City fan.

"I have a lot of respect for what McNally has done to turn the club around, but this is out of order. For the first time in my life, I''m actually ashamed to be a Norwich City fan."

I feel the same way Andy, I''ve been grateful for how this club has changed direction and have appreciated the "hard headed" business-like approach that McNally has brought but this is heavy handed in the extreme.

I feel a bit sorry to be a supporter today, not ashamed exactly, but just a bit grubby in some way.

I don''t really know what has happened here but I am surprised by all the knee jerk reactions and Know-it-all responses that the Club is making a huge cockup because "He ain''t done nothing".   There are a lot of experts here on the laws relating to hacking and the misuse of computers despite this being an area of law that few solicitors understand.   Wow!!!   I''m impressed

Maybe.  Time will tell.  There are a few posters on this thread going to look pretty silly if the magistrates convict.   The Club may equally look as small minded many of you have described it if he is acquitted.   My bet is that if he is charged under the misuse of computers legislation that he will plead guilty.

I am reminded of all the similiar attacks on the Club when it sued the News Of The World yet in the end it was McNally who was right.   Does anyone seriously think an operator like McNally would fly into something without knowing the facts and without the relevant legal advice?   McNally has a good team around him.   These guys are not amateurs. 

As I say time will tell.  I look forward to seeing how this one plays out.

Ok, clearly I am in a minority here in beliving the club acted responsibly (based on facts at hand) which I am fine with. Its good news that they have announced they dont want to take any further legal action and as many have said, there is no doubt in my mind that some departments within the club will not be sitting very confortably over the next few days. Reminds me of the case no so long ago with the brewer producing ''On The Ball'' ale.

I am surpised at the lack of faith in McNally''s decisions given his track record. As for being ashamed to be a Norwich Fan over this and the introduction of annual kit changes, wow..and people think my view on this is OTT

Haven''t seen anyone claiming expert legal knowledge - must have missed that. You don''t have to be a QC (Queens Counsel, Barrister) to have a bit of common sense but then again being a know all isn''t exclusive is it Cambridge, after all you''ve just demonstrated it.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

"These guys are not amateurs"

- Lol!  When it comes to dealing with supporters, their customers, thats exactly what I would say they are. 

Its easy to sell tickets and merch when the product on the field is good, lets see how they do if that goes the other way!

If you can''t be on your own list Nige it ain''t worth keeping!

I love the "Knee-Jerk" charge Nige, I always start wondering when you want a response, do we have to make an appointment, put in a request, plan a co-ordinated "Jerk" or ask the club for permission to give a reaction?

It''s a "Forum" Nige, somewhere you talk about the things you are interested in, have a laugh, air concerns ..... or start aa argument maybe?