Sign in to follow this  
Ruddy Marvelous!

New Kit Police Investigation

You don''t have to be a cold hearted corporate sledgehammer to dispel the little old Norwich tag, just normal football people.

The whole episode is a complete embarrasment apart from to you Gruffalo?

Feel for Chris Brown

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Great, let''s get Doomy back. A lot on here never wanted him and Munby to go in the first place, as we were told by them what a wonderful job they were doing and that nobody could do it better!No wonder certain people at the club no longer want to entertain people like that.[/quote]Hardly a leaked blueprint for a perpetual motion machine was it?Red faces at the club and lots of guffawing to cover up their own stupidity. Biggest secret was what exactly? Yellow and green? Numbers on the back?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Yep, well done club, an extremely sensible response after the earlier overreaction with the police.  And some free advertising for the new kit and Aviva!
[/quote]

It is - at last - very sensible. Actually goes further than it might have done:

"We are pleased to confirm no action will be taken by the club or the police over the matter. The club also recognises and has listened to the very strong feedback from supporters criticising our initial handling of the matter and this is something we have acknowledged to Mr Brown and his family, and apologised for."

And to think everybody took the pee out of Ipswich''s new kit launch.... but at least they managed to keep it secret! 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

"We are pleased to confirm no action will be taken by the club or the police over the matter. The club also recognises and has listened to the very strong feedback from supporters criticising our initial handling of the matter and this is something we have acknowledged to Mr Brown and his family, and apologised for."

[/quote]

Good news and a satisfactory outcome for all.

A couple of points on this, if they have been mentioned already I apologise - my eyes are far too tired to read all the posts in this thread!

1. The chap who released the images early was, potentially, breaking the law. The Computer Misuse Act (which controls hacking and stuff) defines hacking as, approximately, ANY unauthorised access. If the images were hidden, and the page not linked to from the main site, this could be construed as a breach of the CMA. Put simply, just because the page wasn''t behind the Pentagon''s firewall doesn''t mean it couldn''t have been hacked. Leaving your front door open isn''t an invitation for people to come into your house and take your telly.

2. The above being that case, the club had every right to try and nip any breach in the bud asap - even at four in the morning. If I remember correctly, if there is a breach of the CMA and data is stolen it is the responsibility of the organisation holding the data to pay for the forensic investigation to find out how the attack took place. Forensic (IT) investigators don''t come cheap (£1000 per hour in some cases). In addition, if the investigation finds that the organisation holding the data didn''t secure it properly then it, along with the hacker, are in breach of the CMA.

3. I think once the club realised that it was a fan, not some evil hacker, who got hold of the images I think they, and the police, handled the situation well. In effect, they gave him a clip round the ear and told him not to do it again.

4. The club really, really, really needs to sort out the website. If we are a big club, why do we have such a crummy site? It''s provided by the same company that does the Binner''s site - we''re better than that!

5. There''s no such thing as bad publicity

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]And to think everybody took the pee out of Ipswich''s new kit launch.... but at least they managed to keep it secret!  [/quote]

They opted for a viral campaign. we went for a pandemic.

H

[quote user="Canarinator_T1000"]

4. The club really, really, really needs to sort out the website. If we are a big club, why do we have such a crummy site? It''s provided by the same company that does the Binner''s site - we''re better than that! [/quote]

May I refer you to the club''s statement on the NCFC official site where they refer to it being somebody else''s (they do mention the organisation)website.

I suspect gruffalo would have been stitched up for it on the grounds that he had incriminating yellow crayon planted on his desk......

Re: New Kit Police Investigation

And to think everybody took the pee out of Ipswich''s new kit launch.... but at least they managed to keep it secret! 

A bit like their owners face....spoken like a true Suffolker Clucky, Pops would be proud of you.

Clucks old man said be an Ipswich fan, Cluck said "Fair enough Dad it''s in our roots....IN OUR ROOTS...in our roots...IN OUR ROOTS...."

Thankfully some common sense from the club after the situation has been explained.

"The chap who released the images early was, potentially, breaking the law. The Computer Misuse Act (which controls hacking and stuff) defines hacking as, approximately, ANY unauthorised access."

No he was not. The access was authorised. The author of the web page authorised access to the image by placing a link to it in the css file.

A css file does the formatting of pages 2 of the main things it does are -

Telling the content where to be positioned on the page.

A "to do" list of files to load that the browser needs to access to show the page.

By placing the graphics file in the css file, the author has given authorisation for someone to find that image regardless of whether he has set the value of the image to "display:hidden;", which seems to be the case here.

In the interests of explaining what has happened to those who are arguing misuse, and might not understand what has occured, There is a strong possibility that this is what he has done, and what anyone with a mind to could do (in firefox anyway) :

1) Right clicked on the web page.

2) Selected the option "view page source"

3) Pressed ctrl and F to bring the "find text" window up.

4) Typed ".css" into the find window, and then clicked the spyglass / search button.

5) clicked on the .css file, within the code of the page, as firefox will allow you to do this.

5) Gone back to the find window, and typed ".jpg", ".gif" or ".png" to find the location of the file.

6) Selected and copied the file name( e.g. /images/icon_toolbar_mid.gif is a file for this forum), and then tagged this onto the domain name (e.g. http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/images/icon_toolbar_mid.gif ) is the full address of the file I found.

This is not computer misuse. The file was in the public domain. The chances are it was on Google images before the lad had found it, you''d just need the right keywords to find it.

If the 17 year old is "guilty of hacking", and "intellectual property theft", then so is every search engine in the world. Google is in fact built upon the theft of other peoples text and images, through an extremely clever automated version of the steps above.

I hope the lad gets a free shirt at least for his trouble.

[quote user="Ruddygore"]Bit of a knee-jerk response there Cambridge?

Quite a lot of the time common sense has nothing to do with the law, quite a lot of the time justice has very little to do with the law.

If you are a legal expert then have a go. Until then we''re saying it how we see it, when was that a crime?[/quote]A prime example of this was on Watchdog tonight. A car-park company are allowed to advetise that their car-park is pay and display with those words in type 13 font. The car-park name is in a much larger font though. Nothing to do with the thread just evidence of what Ruddygore is saying. Have to say not much changes on here despite having been away. Squabbles, tantrums and fisticuffs at dawn or should that read zimmers at dawn as it appears to be the old men leading the squabbles

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Yep, well done club, an extremely sensible response after the earlier overreaction with the police.  And some free advertising for the new kit and Aviva!
[/quote]

Must say I''m amazed but credit where it''s due to NCFC offering the lad an apology for it''s initial heavy handed approach. Clearly Mr McNally has been shocked by the anti-Club backlash on here and elsewhere and has been forced to climb down to save face. It was the only sensible way out of a sorry mess so I''m glad he saw it that way too.

On the other hand Emmerson Marketing, engaged by the Club as a secure website for the kit launch, must be thinking their days of working with NCFC are now pretty much over......

[/quote]

The thondre as been stollen non?[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LI3cRV_RSig/TKX-iaU13jI/AAAAAAAACQk/QX7FXbJ5xxk/s400/peter_sellers_inspector_clouseau_pi3.jpg[/img]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Yep, well done club, an extremely sensible response after the earlier overreaction with the police.  And some free advertising for the new kit and Aviva![/quote]

Must say I''m amazed but credit where it''s due to NCFC offering the lad an apology for it''s initial heavy handed approach. Clearly Mr McNally has been shocked by the anti-Club backlash on here and elsewhere and has been forced to climb down to save face. It was the only sensible way out of a sorry mess so I''m glad he saw it that way too.

On the other hand Emmerson Marketing, engaged by the Club as a secure website for the kit launch, must be thinking their days of working with NCFC are now pretty much over......

[/quote][/quote]IMO Emmerson have BSed a little claiming it was password protected.  Well it couldn''t''ve been if it was retrievable without it.

[quote user="Stirrinitup"]The thondre as been stollen non?[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LI3cRV_RSig/TKX-iaU13jI/AAAAAAAACQk/QX7FXbJ5xxk/s400/peter_sellers_inspector_clouseau_pi3.jpg[/img]

[/quote]May I recommend that you use a picture of my dear Dermot another time as he is a much cleverer policeman than this one

Just said on BBC East that Stephen Fry has put on Twitter this evening...Storm,teacup,bless.

What amuses me is that the Club have today E.Mailed me with the story of the new kit which is called "Pass it On". Likewise Stephen Fry has been twittering like mad to pass on the info.

As regards the new kit Mr. McNally says it was introduced to keep up with the big boys in football. I accept he has no alternative albeit that many football clubs are not exactly whiter than white - and thats being polite !!!!

Being popping back to this thread every now and again today and its only just dawned on me the parallel with the lads name.

Chris Brown the player was hardly fit to wear the shirt, yet now we have a Chris Brown revealing the shirt early and probably getting more Press recognition than his namesake.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Thankfully some common sense from the club after the situation has been explained. "The chap who released the images early was, potentially, breaking the law. The Computer Misuse Act (which controls hacking and stuff) defines hacking as, approximately, ANY unauthorised access." No he was not. The access was authorised. The author of the web page authorised access to the image by placing a link to it in the css file. A css file does the formatting of pages 2 of the main things it does are - Telling the content where to be positioned on the page. A "to do" list of files to load that the browser needs to access to show the page. By placing the graphics file in the css file, the author has given authorisation for someone to find that image regardless of whether he has set the value of the image to "display:hidden;", which seems to be the case here. In the interests of explaining what has happened to those who are arguing misuse, and might not understand what has occured, There is a strong possibility that this is what he has done, and what anyone with a mind to could do (in firefox anyway) : 1) Right clicked on the web page. 2) Selected the option "view page source" 3) Pressed ctrl and F to bring the "find text" window up. 4) Typed ".css" into the find window, and then clicked the spyglass / search button. 5) clicked on the .css file, within the code of the page, as firefox will allow you to do this. 5) Gone back to the find window, and typed ".jpg", ".gif" or ".png" to find the location of the file. 6) Selected and copied the file name( e.g. /images/icon_toolbar_mid.gif is a file for this forum), and then tagged this onto the domain name (e.g. http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/images/icon_toolbar_mid.gif ) is the full address of the file I found. This is not computer misuse. The file was in the public domain. The chances are it was on Google images before the lad had found it, you''d just need the right keywords to find it. If the 17 year old is "guilty of hacking", and "intellectual property theft", then so is every search engine in the world. Google is in fact built upon the theft of other peoples text and images, through an extremely clever automated version of the steps above. I hope the lad gets a free shirt at least for his trouble.[/quote]

That''s the clearest explanation I''ve seen for how the kid got the images.

It does seem to confirm my suspicions earlier in the day, that although the web page was left wide open to abuse, the kid still had to know what he was doing to find the images.  He''s an IT student, he clearly knew what he was doing and didn''t just stumble across the pictures by chance as a result of club incompetency, as seemed to be the theory earlier yesterday.

Yes, the marketing company who set up the site are at fault for leaving the door wide open, but Chris Brown went into the source code with clear intent. No, its not hacking, and police should never have been called, but I don''t feel that he is totally innocent in all of this.

But, more importantly, he''s apologised for doing it, the club have apologised for their heavy-handed reaction*.  I don''t see Emmerson Marketing''s own statement on the matter as much of an apology, but I guess they should be doing that to the club rather than the fans.  This should be the end of matters.

*Incidentally, my suspicion on the police involvement is that the person responsible at Emmerson Marketing was trying to cover his own back/his company''s back for their obvious lack of security and reported that it must have been some skilled hacker to get around their stringent security rules... Didn''t work, though, as I fully expect either a severe disciplinary or a P45 to be heading his way shortly...

"Yes, the marketing company who set up the site are at fault for

leaving the door wide open, but Chris Brown went into the source code

with clear intent. No, its not hacking, and police should never have

been called, but I don''t feel that he is totally innocent in all of

this."That''s a fair summary - the lad probably did enter publically available code with the clear intent of finding a picture that should have been kept off a live site until the embargo was lifted.  And you''re probably bang on the money with the covering story - but the most he should have received is a warning, which he most certainly has had.  For my 2 cents, the responsibility lies with the marketing company.  If not Mr Brown, then it would have been some other curious 17 year old - and there are worse things that 17 year olds get up to.

Calling the Police was absolutely pathetic what exactly was the "crime"?Putting up some pictures of some clothes a few hours early?  Well Whoop De Doo, im glad my tax £s are being put to good use by the Police.  The Club have in recent times become so up themselves that it is beyond a joke they should be reminded that the are a FOOTBALL CLUB!  So how about concentrating on playing football not "protecting out intellectual property rights" which is just BS.In my entire lifetime of supporting the club when reading of this it was the first and only occassion I can honestly say I was embarrassed to be a Norwich City Fan.  Calling the Police because a picture of our kit was released early I mean you couldn''t make it up.  Pathetic.

[quote user="AndyTGT"]Calling the Police was absolutely pathetic what exactly was the "crime"?Putting up some pictures of some clothes a few hours early?  Well Whoop De Doo, im glad my tax £s are being put to good use by the Police.  The Club have in recent times become so up themselves that it is beyond a joke they should be reminded that the are a FOOTBALL CLUB!  So how about concentrating on playing football not "protecting out intellectual property rights" which is just BS.In my entire lifetime of supporting the club when reading of this it was the first and only occassion I can honestly say I was embarrassed to be a Norwich City Fan.  Calling the Police because a picture of our kit was released early I mean you couldn''t make it up.  Pathetic.[/quote]I think the recent ''On the Ball'' brewery hissy fit was embarrassing enough.The emotional link between NCFC and it''s grassroot support has been dead for some considerable time unfortunately.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"][quote user="AndyTGT"]Calling the Police was absolutely pathetic what exactly was the "crime"?Putting up some pictures of some clothes a few hours early?  Well Whoop De Doo, im glad my tax £s are being put to good use by the Police.  The Club have in recent times become so up themselves that it is beyond a joke they should be reminded that the are a FOOTBALL CLUB!  So how about concentrating on playing football not "protecting out intellectual property rights" which is just BS.In my entire lifetime of supporting the club when reading of this it was the first and only occassion I can honestly say I was embarrassed to be a Norwich City Fan.  Calling the Police because a picture of our kit was released early I mean you couldn''t make it up.  Pathetic.[/quote]I think the recent ''On the Ball'' brewery hissy fit was embarrassing enough.The emotional link between NCFC and it''s grassroot support has been dead for some considerable time unfortunately.[/quote]

You both seem to know that when the club contacted the police they were already aware that the offender was a 17yr old norwich fan who had not mangaged access to more than photograpghs of a new kit, eg the thousands of financial details of their fans. May I ask how you know this?