Sign in to follow this  
Ruddy Marvelous!

New Kit Police Investigation

It appears the police are investigating the fan who leaked pictures of the new kit launch yesterday!!

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/police_called_after_teenage_norwich_city_fan_leaked_images_of_club_s_new_kit_on_the_internet_hours_before_yesterday_s_official_launch_1_1353333

If they weren''t under any password protection and was there to be viewed if you use a firefox addon where the CSS files can be viewed.  There''s sod all they can do, and imo the clubs fault for not protecting itself.They have a track record of web **** ups, and it makes me wonder how secure they keep our personal information.

To be fair, this has prob been quite good for the club, the kit release would never have got so much national attention is this kid hadn''t released it early, it''s most populour story on the bbc today- perhaps the club should thank the boy instead of getting the police involved! And rather than prosecute this kid why don''t they give him a job, he''s obviously more skilled than our current IT team -Sign him up!!

At first I chuckled when I read the storey and thought the Club''s reaction was totally over the top. However, having given it further thought, it does beg the question just how secure the Club''s IT is generally, especailly in relation to the online ticketing. Is it possible for someone to hack into supporter''s personal details?

Can''t see how the Police can get involved as they''d published it online (which is effectively what they had done?). Sack the web team and get someone who knows what they''re doing!

[quote user="GMF"]At first I chuckled when I read the storey and thought the Club''s reaction was totally over the top. However, having given it further thought, it does beg the question just how secure the Club''s IT is generally, especailly in relation to the online ticketing. Is it possible for someone to hack into supporter''s personal details?[/quote]

Apparently the website provider put the images up on the website with a simple style tag that hides them from view, the images are still downloaded by your computer, the kid just used a simple HTML tool to unhide the images...

The whole thing is a joke, calling the police was a pathetic move intended to cover up a rather major blunder by the club and website provider, if handled correctly there should have been no way a 17 yo student could have got those images...

[quote user="SotonCanary"]Can''t see how the Police can get involved as they''d published it online (which is effectively what they had done?). Sack the web team and get someone who knows what they''re doing![/quote]exactly...i think the club nose has been put of koint and someones thrown a wobbly about being made to look stupid....what will the police do?is it an infringement of copy right? no...

I don''t think security is much of an issue, I would imagine that all he did was something like this:

www.mrbrownstonefc.co.uk/kit/2011-2012/homeshirt

I''m guessing he just changed the date to this years and was presented with the page the web team had prepared but had linked to yet.

I do that sort of thing quite regularly when looking for archive information as it''s generally quicker than using a rubbish search function.

I personally cannot see a problem with this.....all the talk about the kit in the local news (all be it, for the wrong reasons... "apparently") can only be a good thing for the club in terms of sales of the new shirt right? You can''t beat a bit of free advertising!!

The club need to sort the online shopping and ticketing stuff out in a massive way. The whole system isn''t good enough for a club with this level of interest and support. Hopefully this incident will act as a major wake up call in that regard. Also I know nothing about computer security but from the layman''s point of view it does beg the question if this guy was able to get hold of a new kit which the club was desperately trying to keep under wraps until yesterday without hacking into the site, how secure is the rest of the site with all the potential credit/debit card information it possesses?

When I saw the headline to this thread I assumed it was a joke. But apparently not. One thing to be ruthless in the transfer market, but this is truly pathetic. There are also a couple of legal points. Firstly the story says this named kid did it. Ie, did post the images and so presumably committed a criminal offfence. When he has yet to be found guilty of anything. Secondly, the story says this alleged culprit is 17. Leaving aside the question of innocent until proved guilty, normally 17-year-olds get tried in juvenile courts and as such are tried anonymously.

Nothing was done illegally except possibly sharing copyrighted photos.

The gentleman in question has been made to feel guilty about it, yet its the clubs fault for posting it where he could see and share.

The club should appologise for 1. Phoning at 4am and 2. saying your in big trouble.

Had the pictures not been there they would not have been shared.

Hacking is a serious offence, however there are mitigating circumstances in that the website made itself easy to be hacked and was thus negligent IMO. I agree that the damage here is minimal but this kind of behaviour should be nipped in the bud early before more serious offences are committed if potential future offenders see there is no deterrent.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]When I saw the headline to this thread I assumed it was a joke. But apparently not. One thing to be ruthless in the transfer market, but this is truly pathetic. There are also a couple of legal points. Firstly the story says this named kid did it. Ie, did post the images and so presumably committed a criminal offfence. When he has yet to be found guilty of anything. Secondly, the story says this alleged culprit is 17. Leaving aside the question of innocent until proved guilty, normally 17-year-olds get tried in juvenile courts and as such are tried anonymously.[/quote]

Maybe innocent until proven guilty doesnt apply when the accused confesses to the crime, as in this case. No trial would be held, just a sentencing hearing. Also on the question of identity, maybe he feels it would look much better if he openly came out in the media and apologised for his actions, stating he was stupid and wouldnt want to do any harm to the club he loves (briefly caught the interview on the way out of the house this morning).

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]When I saw the headline to this thread I assumed it was a joke. But apparently not. One thing to be ruthless in the transfer market, but this is truly pathetic. There are also a couple of legal points. Firstly the story says this named kid did it. Ie, did post the images and so presumably committed a criminal offfence. When he has yet to be found guilty of anything. Secondly, the story says this alleged culprit is 17. Leaving aside the question of innocent until proved guilty, normally 17-year-olds get tried in juvenile courts and as such are tried anonymously.[/quote]He admitted it and apologised via the news last night. Easy target for the club to pick on.  IMO MacNally should be investigating the IT department for not securing this TOP SECRET [;)] information.  

And we have paid our taxes for the police investigation...what a monumental F*ck up by the club....They should release an apology to the young man and all concerned...I know the club read this message board....I will be contacting you in due course Mr Mcnally for a contribution to my tax i pay for the club wasting police time...how many real crimes could they be solving...Someone should be sacked for incompetance.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]And we have paid our taxes for the police investigation...what a monumental F*ck up by the club....

They should release an apology to the young man and all concerned...

I know the club read this message board....I will be contacting you in due course Mr Mcnally for a contribution to my tax i pay for the club wasting police time...

how many real crimes could they be solving...

Someone should be sacked for incompetance.
[/quote]

One crime committed and one quickly solved. The police will love to add this to their ''success'' statistics. 

[quote user="paul moy"]Hacking is a serious offence, however there are mitigating circumstances in that the website made itself easy to be hacked and was thus negligent IMO. I agree that the damage here is minimal but this kind of behaviour should be nipped in the bud early before more serious offences are committed if potential future offenders see there is no deterrent.[/quote]He hasn''t hacked, he''s just viewed the files that were already there. If he hasn''t fraudulently cracked the security I can''t see if a proper crime has been committed.

And he posted it on here on Tue evening too - just before the post about lack on insider knowledge! Local lad trawling the net shocker... cant see it ever making the courts tbh.   Surprised his post here has not been pulled - or his account blocked!

Will the club ban his season ticket?

Having got the news it would be best all round if there was an apology from Chris with the club offering him some consultancy work to improve their web security...

Leave him be - where is the harm???

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]And we have paid our taxes for the police investigation...what a monumental F*ck up by the club....They should release an apology to the young man and all concerned...I know the club read this message board....I will be contacting you in due course Mr Mcnally for a contribution to my tax i pay for the club wasting police time...how many real crimes could they be solving...Someone should be sacked for incompetance.[/quote]The clowns in charge of the club''s IT.

I thoroughly agree with the majority on this thread - if you don''t want something to be seen on a live site, you don''t put it on a live site.

PR disaster frankly but I suppose it might help the new kit video go viral now!!

on F365 Mediawatch

"Mediawatch has always liked Delia Smith. But we are holding her personally responsible for the police (yes, the actual police) questioning a 17-year-old boy after he committed the heinous crime of publishing photos of the new Norwich kit that they had accidentally already published on their official website.

Over to the BBC: ''A 17-year-old Norwich City fan has angered the club he supports by leaking pictures of its new kit 12 hours before the official launch. Norfolk Police were called in after IT student Chris Brown published images of the 2012-13 strip on the internet. Chris has apologised to the club, which said it would protect its intellectual property at all times. The teenager, from Norwich, managed to obtain the pictures from the Canaries'' website as it was being updated. He did not hack into the website, but was able to take the images from a section of the site that was being worked on.''

And they called the police. The actual police. Not some kind of pseudo football police but the ACTUAL POLICE.

Delia''s How To Cheat At Cooking is going in the bin."

McNasty is great, except when he''s a bit of an idiot, as i belive he was over Dion ''breaking'' the CMS deal on Late Night whatsit

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]And we have paid our taxes for the police investigation...what a monumental F*ck up by the club....They should release an apology to the young man and all concerned...I know the club read this message board....I will be contacting you in due course Mr Mcnally for a contribution to my tax i pay for the club wasting police time...how many real crimes could they be solving...Someone should be sacked for incompetance.[/quote]The clowns in charge of the club''s IT.[/quote]dont care who.... sack the cleaner for all i care!

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="paul moy"]Hacking is a serious offence, however there are mitigating circumstances in that the website made itself easy to be hacked and was thus negligent IMO. I agree that the damage here is minimal but this kind of behaviour should be nipped in the bud early before more serious offences are committed if potential future offenders see there is no deterrent.[/quote]

He hasn''t hacked, he''s just viewed the files that were already there. If he hasn''t fraudulently cracked the security I can''t see if a proper crime has been committed.
[/quote]

Well, it depends on the full details of the alleged ''crime'' but as I understand it there was theft of data, which I believe can come under the ''hacking'' heading, depending on how it was achieved.   

[quote user="AndyJR"]PR disaster frankly but I suppose it might help the new kit video go viral now!!

on F365 Mediawatch

"Mediawatch has always liked Delia Smith. But we are holding her personally responsible for the police (yes, the actual police) questioning a 17-year-old boy after he committed the heinous crime of publishing photos of the new Norwich kit that they had accidentally already published on their official website.

Over to the BBC: ''A 17-year-old Norwich City fan has angered the club he supports by leaking pictures of its new kit 12 hours before the official launch. Norfolk Police were called in after IT student Chris Brown published images of the 2012-13 strip on the internet. Chris has apologised to the club, which said it would protect its intellectual property at all times. The teenager, from Norwich, managed to obtain the pictures from the Canaries'' website as it was being updated. He did not hack into the website, but was able to take the images from a section of the site that was being worked on.''

And they called the police. The actual police. Not some kind of pseudo football police but the ACTUAL POLICE.

Delia''s How To Cheat At Cooking is going in the bin."

McNasty is great, except when he''s a bit of an idiot, as i belive he was over Dion ''breaking'' the CMS deal on Late Night whatsit[/quote]thats actually quite funny!and i agree, the club and McNally mostly get things right but when they get it wrong boy do they end up looking like first class prats!

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="paul moy"]Hacking is a serious offence, however there are mitigating circumstances in that the website made itself easy to be hacked and was thus negligent IMO. I agree that the damage here is minimal but this kind of behaviour should be nipped in the bud early before more serious offences are committed if potential future offenders see there is no deterrent.[/quote]

He hasn''t hacked, he''s just viewed the files that were already there. If he hasn''t fraudulently cracked the security I can''t see if a proper crime has been committed.
[/quote]

Well, it depends on the full details of the alleged ''crime'' but as I understand it there was theft of data, which I believe can come under the ''hacking'' heading, depending on how it was achieved.   

[/quote]

How was their theft of data?[:^)]

im happy that they have informed the police if they suspect a crime has been commited, I believe they have a duty to do this and the lad will get a slap on the wrist. He knew what he was doing was wrong, why shouldnt he be punished?

The amount cyber crime costs this country annually is £27billion.. to put that into some context, enough to run 90 more hospital each year. Now tell me that the police waste you tax payers money by investigating potential cyber crimes. Its easy to say that this 17yr old didnt do any harm but without being caught for these actions maybe next time he may fancy having a peak at you private information Jas?