Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Why should Worthy stay? Answers on the back of a stamp please

Ok so why should Worthy stay? We have had the boards saying he should go which i  firmly agree with. So can any of you pro Worthy posters come up with any good reasons other than he got us promoted last season??

Because he has built up a squad more than capable of geting repromoted next season, he knows how to get out of the championship and if(when) we come back up he will be more clued in as to what is required of him.

I don''t know about anyone else but I don''t think the club can afford another "transitional period" whilst someone else finds their feet.  So stop being so narrow minded and look further than this season will you.

First reply and being called narrow minded lol. That just about sums it up in your words. ''He has built a squad to get us promoted next season''. Surley it would have been better to build a squad to give us a fighting chance of staying in the Prem this season?

Careful Weston you''ll be accused of being a Yes man.

And to answer the original question, what Weston said sums up my opinion perfectly, and that of most sane people i know.

and i''m not for one second saying i''m satisfied with what i''ve seen in recent weeks, far from it.

[quote]Ok so why should Worthy stay? We have had the boards saying he should go which i firmly agree with. So can any of you pro Worthy posters come up with any good reasons other than he got us promoted la...[/quote]

Twosheds if you care to read the many threads on support for worthy you will find your answer ,now go and read a bit instead of posting boring worthy out threads or are you a secret scummer fan on the wind up.

Lol Boy,this post isnt a Worthy out post. Its give us reasons why he should stay post? Ypu were asking who couldnt read?

Didn''t mean to offend Twosheds, but EVERYONE agreed this season would be hard and should be treated as a learning curve if we go back down, all I am saying is look at the wider picture. 

I think Worthy did try to build a squad to stay up, why else buy the Danish captain, an established Sweden international, a Morrocan international, a Republic of Ireland international plus 2 quality keepers as cover.  We have had injuries to key players all season, that must be taken into account.  We''ll probably never see eye to eye on this but I do respect your opinion.

We just have not been good enough this yr! I have kept my word tho, not to get down at any point as last year was totally unexpected! Lets face it under worthers we have progressed alot quicker than we thought we would have,i would accept the grumbles if we were a mid-table fizzy league team (as we were when he took over!) but we are not.

The clubs finances are now secure,gone are the days of half empty stadiums,infact our fan base increase has been phenomonal! I wonder............how many can actually remember Brian Mcgoverns goal which clinched our safety in Div 1 ,4 yrs ago! We are now a stable club. These are a few reasons why Nigel should stay!

Must admit tho......next year is a big yr for him to see if he can meet the expectations of a club who want to win the league and no longer settle for mid-table boredom!

OTBC

[quote]Didn''t mean to offend Twosheds, but EVERYONE agreed this season would be hard and should be treated as a learning curve if we go back down, all I am saying is look at the wider picture. I think Wor...[/quote]

I not pi**ed off with our league position I''m annoyed with the fact that

1 He lied to us all this week about changes
2 He bought in players he doesn''t use why are we playing the same team as last year??
3 He plays favourites! Why??? Fleming, Holt are the biggest offenders - nothing against them but why are they not dropped like other players are (Helveg) after bad performances?
4 The Broken record he plays after everygame - we''re still learning, the opposition have quality we don''t
5 the pussy tactics - sod this fair play league stuff

I could go on for ever - He has taken us as far as he can - we have the higher prestige to bring in a manager of more experience now and now is the time to do it!

If we were looking like getting relegated again next season , would he still be the man for the job as he has previously won the 1ST Division. Of course not . A very very average manager.

It is interesting to see that we need a more experienced manager. Reflect for a moment the success under Dave Stringer and Mike Walker both of whom could only be classified as inexperienced managers. Equally don''t forget the "glory days" under the widely experienced Messrs Hamilton and Rioch.
Of course this season has been incredibly disappointing and it is clear that we needed to have spent big on a Central Defender but consider the constraints under which players were bought. There was the issue of wages being dependent upon the league, incredibly sensible financially but hardly an inducement to quality players to join and our problem is a lack of real quality. Also let''s be honest we were fortunate with injuries last year whereas this time round we have more than our fair share.
Excuses perhaps but be under no doubt that if Nigel Worthington were to leave Norwich City there would be plenty of clubs waiting to snap him up.

Reasons Worthy must stay

• Worthy has built this team himself. Damo, Hucks, Ashton etc. all signed after Worthy worked his magic. If Worthy goes you risk unsettling the camp and those key players who only came under the persuasion of our manager. I''m sure that if you were to say goodbye to Worthy, you''d probably be saying goodbye to Huckerby and Ashton too.
  • He knows the club inside. He took the reigns of a small club battling to stay in Division One and within two seasons he''d gotten to the play-off final and within four seasons he''d won the Championship. His credentials speak for themselves.
  • He can work the board. He''s not afraid to ask for cash and knows their limits. He won''t say yes to everything Niel Doomcaster says and if he thinks he needs £3million for a new striker he won''t stop until he gets it.
  • He looks after the team, doesn''t run his mouth and is always positive. Something which people criticise him for when he''s just protecting his players. Who would you rather have someone like Warnock in charge who rants and raves about how it''s always everyone elses fault?
  • Worthy''s Norwich have a W2 D1 L1 record against the scum
  • There IS no one else

[quote]Reasons Worthy must stay Worthy has built this team himself. Damo, Hucks, Ashton etc. all signed after Worthy worked his magic. If Worthy goes you risk unsettling the camp and those key players w...[/quote]

*struggles hard not to reply, realising this is a thread about the reasons for Worthy to stay, and not to go*

[quote]Lol Boy,this post isnt a Worthy out post. Its give us reasons why he should stay post? Ypu were asking who couldnt read?[/quote]

Don''t patronize me with "BOY" TWOSHEDS just because you maybe older than me , it may not be a worthy out thread but like i said do a bit of reading and there lay your answers.

[quote]Don''t patronize me with "BOY" TWOSHEDS just because you maybe older than me , it may not be a worthy out thread but like i said do a bit of reading and there lay your answers.[/quote]

Err... I think he was shortening your name from barclayendboy to boy so he didn''t have to type it all.

No harm done.

He works the board does he ? If he needs a £3 million striker he does not stop untill he gets him ? Pity he didnt use his magic charms on the board at the start of the season when we needed a striker then. Its not Worthys charm that gets all the money from the board , hes getting it because of all the money we made from being in the premier league.And lets face it apart from Ashton , he seems to have wasted most of it as hes bought players he WONT play.

Beds, you''ve made a good case. He''s done all that you said and for that he deserves respect. But on the other side he''s allowed his players'' performances to drop during the season, he''s not very astute tactically, and he''s made some rum signings as well as the good ones. He keeps trying to hammer the square pegs he''s bought into our round holes, and the only result of that is that they don''t perform, and the club ends up having to pay them to leave. That''s wasteful in several ways and Worthy has to carry the can for it.

But what if, when he needed them, there were no round pegs in the shops? We need wingers, but where were they in the summer when we were looking for them? So it''s not fair to criticise him for not buying the right players, but it IS fair to blame him for buying the wrong ones.

IMO all the justifiable criticisms of Worthy MAY be down to inexperience rather than ineptitude. It''s down to Worthy to prove he can raise his game, and I think the club should help him to do that by bringing in someone with all the experience that Worthy lacks to work with him and his staff on a short-term basis - coaching the coaches if you like. But not Terry Venables please...

Old Boy you have just made my day with the sentence''He has made some RUM signings'' Although im not a born norfolker i do luv that word ''rum'' in a sentence. It makes me laugh for ages and i still cant see the keyboard properly for tears. Cheers for that

two sheds, as you found old boy''s usage of the word RUM so highly amusing, i can only assume that you think it is a norfolk dialect word. im sorry to tell you that if so you''re wrong. to be sure of my facts i checked the word RUM on dictionary.com, and sure enough it was there with, amongst others, the definitions: odd or strange.

Bloody hell,you cant say anything on this board nowadays without being put right. I dont care where the word comes from or what it means in the dictionary.The fact is i like the word and it makes me laugh. Is that ok with you?

[quote]Bloody hell,you cant say anything on this board nowadays without being put right. I dont care where the word comes from or what it means in the dictionary.The fact is i like the word and it makes me l...[/quote]

No it''s not OK twosheds!  Just who do you think you are posting a light-hearted message on this board when we are bottom of league!!

No use of or laughing at the word "RUM" from now on please

Having read all the replies the reasons for Worthy going outway those for him staying.  One of the biggest arguments for him staying seems to be that he bought in some good players and got money from the board.   Well no, he got the money when it was freed up from Sky money and promotion money, same as any Manager would have done.   Also his purchases have not been that fantastic, Helveg, Ashton, Charlton and Doc were good, but only Ashton is playing!!!!

No, for me he has proved that he doesn''t learn from mistakes, or at least he doesn''t learn as quickly as the rest of us tend to.  He is afriad to try something new when the old is still not working week in week out.  He is a careful Manager yes, but look where that has got us this season.

Shackell should have been in the team 6 games in.  The Danish Captain should never have been dropped for a right back that has been relegated 3 or 4 times.   Ashton should have been bought sooner.  McKenzie should have been dropped months ago.  Holt shouldn''t even make the bench.  Fleming shouldn''t make the bench. Huckerby has to play upfront.

Unfortunately even with all these mistakes it is too late now.  Getting rid of him now would serve no purpose, because he does have the necessary skills to get us promoted again, so keep him at least for one more season.

[quote]Beds, you''ve made a good case. He''s done all that you said and for that he deserves respect. But on the other side he''s allowed his players'' performances to drop during the season, he''s not very astut...[/quote]

I agree.

Sacking Worthy is not the answer, but bringing in a decent coach with Premiership experience may be.

my humblest and sincerest apologies, twosheds. i totally misconstrued what you were saying. i think that is the danger with the written word, as opposed to speech. you cant always tell exactly what someone is trying to say when they write. when someone is talking to you, you get a fair idea from their tone of voice, facial expressions and body language etc. i think the mistake i made has been made many times on this board, and that is why you sometimes get slanging matches on here.

[quote]Isn''t the Norfolk term - Rum''un, as in - "noow thaas ah rum''un" meaning something is strange?[/quote]

That that is bor...

Worthy is without doub''t the best we will get to work within the constraints imposed on him by the board . This is because they (the board) are living in the real world and not in the "we are a big club,and deserve to be in the prem lobby" If anyone seriously thinks there is someone with the right credentials sitting on his ar*se waiting for us to offer him a job PLEASE get real!! If anyone is that good he will have a job already!!