Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jim

"Worthy Out"- You're having a laugh

Funny how some people change their tune so quickly. At the end of last season when we lifted the division 1 trophy he could do no wrong, now when we are struggling in the greatest league in the world against teams with far greater experience and financial muscle, he''s criticized for not winning enough games.

It looks as if West Brom and Palace will go down as well, just as everyone expected at the start of the season- what a surprise. Nigel has rewarded many of the players that won us the league last season by playing them, and added some quality in the form of Bentley and Ashton, which can be a building block for the future. He has also stayed committed to the attractive passing football that the club is recognised for.

The bare facts are that we cannot compete at this level at the moment with the money that we have, I am certain that when we return we will be a far stronger unit in every respect.

Worthy has done great things for this club and deserves our support, top of div 1 or battling in the prem.

OTBC!

[quote]Funny how some people change their tune so quickly. At the end of last season when we lifted the division 1 trophy he could do no wrong, now when we are struggling in the greatest league in the world ...[/quote]

Basic facts eh Jim?.

1. Bently won''t be here next season.

2. West Brom and Palace still have a good chance of staying up!.

3. Worthy is well paid to win enough games.

4. We can''t keep clean sheets, can''t even draw bloodly games of late.

Oh yes, we like like basics facts here mate. 

the reason why people are saying this is because we want answers

worthy isn''t being straight with us... we can see the problems and they haven''t been addressed publicly or privately

(1) they continue to ignore our lack of leadership, helveg? charlton?

(2) the ethos of ''learning'' jus watch f''in motd to see how the game has changed

(3) personnel decisions, fleming and holt... what do they give us, that doc, helveg, safri don''t

(4) substitutions in must win games... why are they so late

(5) basic defending... i don''t seem much improvement

we aren''t stupid... we need answers and his lil report yesterday doesn''t go far enough

i was never particularly keen on the announcement of worthy as manager or his tactics until the signing of huckerby it showed intent and desire... summer signings were good so was ashton but has he played them? (when fit)

i did not sing his praises last season as i still felt there was improvement that i wanted rectified this season... defending too deep and new acquisitions actually playing

i was happy to have some great trips last season and for cheque for entering the prem. but to come into it and leave it as silently as we have is shocking

If we are going to be picky Wizard perhaps we should say

West Brom OR Palace have a chance of staying up

Bentley Probably will not be here next season

as you so correctly say we like our facts.

The statement about wages is frankly banal and I am sure was just put there as padding.

I think everyone can see the errors that have been made but history has shown that changing managers is rarely the answer.  A few years ago that was the tactic and it did not bring success.  As I said on a previous post in a few short years we were less than mediocre under a string of managers Mike Walker, Gary Megson twice, Bruce Rioch, Brian Hamilton. 

Compare the present team to the one of 5 years ago, it is so much better and anyway the subtext is that the manager has been given insufficient funds to get in the quality that we need.  He has had to mess around in the bargain basement for far too long.  Dean Ashton has proved that if you want quality it costs. 

[quote]Funny how some people change their tune so quickly. At the end of last season when we lifted the division 1 trophy he could do no wrong, now when we are struggling in the greatest league in the world ...[/quote]

I particually liked this line - "Worthy has done great things for this club and deserves our support, top of div 1 or battling in the prem". The Yellow and Green Tinted Spectacles are out!

So, because he took our club from the bottom of the first division to the Prem he deserves to be untouchable does he?

Worthington deserves our admiration and - I believe - has had a full season to prove to us he can adapt as a Premiership manager, learn from his mistakes and take us into the future. But he very clearly hasn''t.

Worthington has made the most basic mistakes at the highest level and it prophesises a bleak future for our club if he were to remain in charge. Tell me, do you know any manager in any division (except Sven, but at least he gets it right on the night) that plays players well out of position on a regular basis? Do you know any other manager that omits a international captain in favour of an average Englishman? Do you know of any other manager that fails to explore all the options in his squad, despite only purchasing these options several months ago? Do you know any other manager that fails to identify the same weaknesses of the team over and over again? Do you know any other manager that repeats the same clap trap week after week?

These are but a small selection of the offences Worthington has committed this season. I''m positive there are alot more, but frankly have posted a more comprehensive list so many times now, I''m getting bored!

We need a manager who looks capable of leading us into the future. We''ve all done exceeding well to get us here, but that''s the past. We should not be looking behind us at the great job we''ve done, but forward at the great job we are on the brink of doing. Worthington is not the man to guide us through this next stage.

Worthington out! 

One of your opening sentences says it all:

"At the end of last season when we lifted the division 1 trophy he could do no wrong,"

Yes, at the end of last season!! That was almost a year ago, it''s history, the fact is we are a year on from that now and while i and many did not expect us to survive in the Premiership, we at least hoped we would make a fight of it, something that has clearly not happened and something that is down to management because of the players he selects.

Now lets get something straight with all you Worthy worshippers. Firstly we owe the man nothing.yes he has turned the team around in recent years & yes he got us promoted last season,in which was a pretty average league.(probably the weakest the 1st division had been for a few seasons). Secondly everything he had done or should i say hasnt done this season has gone wrong,team selection,tactics,substitutions, ect ect. If us posteres on here can see his failings & success then why cant he? It is so blatantly obvious he is not up to standard for the Prem at the moment,but that doesnt mean to say that one day he might well be a top class manager & lead us back to the Prem & keep us there.Did we or did we not have a virtually fully fit squad last week? I seem to remember reading the EDP and Worthy saying that himself.So why was the starting lineup the same?Yes,the very same team that has been so awfull all season! It isnt the fact that we are bottom of the league that cheeses me off,its the manner in which it has happened! We are a shambles from the back four to the front two,our defending is terrible(i see schoolboys defend better),the midfield are totally out of there depth(apart from Francis),they cant hold the ball,make a easy pass,let alone make a good quality threatening pass.The attack is boring(knock the ball to Hucks and watch him run''oh fall over'').Our attacking is so predictable its outrageous,no wonder we scored so few goals all season! A simple thing like a corner,geeeeeeez they cant even get it past the first defender 99%  of the time.I could go on and on but whats the point as i know you will be reading this with your yellow tinted glasses!

One more thing though,The signings of Hucks,Francis,Ashton & co Plus promotion to the Prem (which are all notable knotches on Worthys CV) does not and will not make up for are dismall performances and manner in which we will get relegated this season! If Worthy had tried different formations,players,tactics,non mind boggling substitutions ect and i had seen the players give it there all then i would be backing Worthy to stay. Alass this has not been the case has it? If your car is broken do you fix it? If your tube goes in your telly,are you going to sit there and hope it fixes itself? If someone breaks your yellow tinted glasses,what would you do? Mend them or just wear them as they are and hope they fix themselves?

Worthy i fear you are not the best man for the job.......Please prove us wrong!

Canary Jim, sorry but I''m going to have to disagree with you on one point you make. Specifically,

"The bare facts are that we cannot compete at this level at the moment with the money that we have, I am certain that when we return we will be a far stronger unit in every respect."

Staying in the Premiership is NOT all about money. It helps bolster your squad when you get promoted but I don''t think City did too badly on that score when they went up. They brought in three internationals and another Premiership aware defender (Helveg[87 caps], Jonson[44 caps], Doherty[29 caps], Charlton).

Winning the Premiership IS all about money.

But we never set out to win the Premiership. City, I hope, set out to survive a first season in the Premiership. With the squad they had and the performances in the first half of the season many of us would have believed that was a strong possibility.

However, the most important thing to do on getting into the Premiership is ensuring that you are well organised defensively and bloody hard to beat. It is the ONE fundamental issue that the club have NOT addressed as the season has progressed. It is our achilles heel.

Look at the clubs that have turned the corner and are now making a fight out of the relegation struggle:

a) Blackburn - now out of the mire through their organisation. Last seven results 0-1 Chelsea, 0-1 Middlesbro, 3-0 Norwich, 1-0 Everton, 0-0 Liverpool, 0-1 Arsenal, 0-0 Man U. 8 points from 7 games. Goals conceded 3!!!

b) Southampton - have been organised by new coaching staff. The biggest advantage they have is the Premiership experience. Last seven results 1-2 Birmingham, 2-2 Everton, 0-0 West Brom, 1-1 Arsenal, 1-0 Tottenham, 3-1 Middlsebro, 1-3 Chelsea. 9 points from 7 games. Goals conceded 9.

c) West Brom - again new staff has got them organised. Last seven results 2-2 Palace, 2-3 Norwich, 0-0 Southampton, 2-0 Birmingham, 0-1 Chelsea, 4-1 Charlton, 1-0 Everton. 11 points from 7 games. Goals conceded 7.

d) Palace - got organised the quickest of the promoted teams and made themselves harder to beat. Last seven results 2-2 West Brom, 0-1 Bolton, 1-5 Arsenal, 2-0 Birmingham, 0-0 Man U, 1-4 Chelsea, 0-1 Middlesbro. 5 points from 7 games. Goals conceded 13.

And Norwich. Last seven results 0-1 Everton, 3-2 West Brom, 0-3 Blackburn, 2-3 Man City, 1-3 Chelsea, 0-1 Bolton, 1-4 Arsenal. 3 points from 7 games. Goals conceded 17!!

Let''s just assume that defensively we were better organised and conceded one less goal in each of those last 7 games. 0-0 Everton, 3-1 West Brom, 0-2 Blackburn, 2-2 Man City, 1-2 Chelsea, 0-0 Bolton, 1-3 Arsenal. 5 points from 7 games. Goals conceded 10. Keeps us up with Palace.

When you ship 2 goals a game it is bloody hard to win irrespective of what division you''re in. Ask Keegans Newcastle when their strikers hit a sticky patch!

Strangely enough I''m not asking for Worthy to go, but I am asking for him to acknowledge and try to address the defensive issues. Why sign three experienced defenders only to leave them on the bench? The defensive frailities have not been addressed ALL season and their finally coming home to roost in a most dramatic fashion.

Even though I agree that Worthy has continuosly played his old favourites even though they''re not good enough he was faced with a near impossible task of trying to build a strong enough squad with peanuts. If he was given a bigger budget then he would have been able to target players of higher quality. My feeling was that more money should have been avaliable for transfers in the summer so to blame everything on worthy is a bit unfair imo. The board are not totally blameless, I for one will be disappointed if a decent transfer budget of at least 3 million is not avaliable in the summer. Possibly more if Francis and Greeno were sold.