Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

End of season blues

It seems a shame that the end of season seems to be ending on a downer after such a great start and middle we are now struggling some what, is it down to tiredness or the quality is a bit on the wane.Lets hope the boys can pull a big effort out the bag sat and get a result they need to finish the season on a high and then most of us moaners can have a happy summer and the Villa game can be a party because we do have something to celebrate really a season beyond belief.It proberbly is a shade better than getting promotion last season as at the start we were hoping to just stay up by the skin of our teeth.Liverpool will be a tough,tough game but such a great one to win so lets all get behind the team who ever Lambert picks and send Kenny and his boys home pointless.Just one point it would ruin my season if we let Downing score.

A downerI suppose Man City was a bit of a let down, nobody could have foreseen us being beaten by themNor Blackburn eitherbut thne who would have thought we would win at Spurs, so it''s not really a downerjudge that after the Villa game

I think we should gain 4 more points - a draw v Liverpool, defeat at Arsenal and a decent win against Villa at Carrow Road (that would round the season off v nicely).

Liverpool got Cup Final next week will play second string why can''t we beat them.  Arsenal starting to struggle at home lost toWigan, drew with Chelsea why not a result.  Then on to Villa a draw if Villa need a point to send QPR down please or a win to send Villa down, that will stop the Lambo rumours.

I see 7 points 50 for the season would be nice a finish in 12th please, any lower would be a disappointment.

To judge by his post-match comments, even PL has been a little surprised at the recent flops, especially soft goals given away, esepecially as his mantra was "there will be no let up, even when we are mathematically safe".

I posted the other day that I was concerned at the lack of effort of some players who have yet to be offered or sign a new contract.

Perhaps for a team which relies so much on team spirit, the opposite also applies, that if one or two players are under par this pulls everyone down. Whatever the reason for several lacklustre and untypical performances recently, it seems possible that they can still rise to the challenge of playing against top teams - even the Manchester City game saw us "matching" them until the soft third goal. and late flurry, and in other games against top teams we have felt, and Sir Alex did too, that we didn''t get our deserts.

So I hope that they will rise in the two big games coming - Liverpool and Arsenal, and, failing a result that gives us safety, that we turn it on against Villa.

I don''t agree that we''ve been on a bad run. It could have been a lot worse, quite easily.

Look back to Man.U, great performance, unlucky not to get the point (perhaps if we had scored earlier, it could have been a win for us?) Stoke away, we just didn''t get going. Wasn''t a good day for anyone. Wigan at home, we started well but Wigan took advantage as they have done in many games since then. Newcastle away, we let them get the lead, and then they defended. We had decent chances, but couldn''t quite get the breakthrough needed. We beat Wolves at home, which despite probably not being as good a performance as Man.U or Newcastle, we still got 3 points. Loss to Fulham, were better team in second half, was like the home game to them, other than they actually managed to score more than once when on top themselves. Two great performances and 4 points against Everton and Spurs. An unlucky result against Man.C, they just turned on the quality for 4/5 goals and were helped by a couple of mistakes. Blackburn was just poor.

I think, we only have ''average'' players, so we really need a whole team effort. We also need a lot of chances to score goals, so often we have been really in charge of games, but just can''t score more than 1 goal. Against Man.C, Fulham, Man.U and probably even Everton and Blackburn (and Spurs, but we won that) we have more than enough chances to change the result, we should have taken lead against ManC, could have got a winner against Everton, had the early advantage at Blackburn.

We have three games left, I think the most important thing is performance, as some of them have been less than earlier in the season, even when we lost games (like Man.U at home) we often put in a good shift all game, Wigan, Stoke, Blackburn we just didn''t do that. Liverpool are their for the taking, ok it won''t be easy, but they have a cup final a week later, aren''t in great form, basically the result could be anything, it would take a huge scoreline to surprise me. Arsenal, well they have let their guard down a bit after there 7 game win streak and Villa are just lacking confidence completely. You know, it wouldn''t take a miracle to win the last 3 games, but its dependent on our players being at their best and taking goal scoring chances quicker than usual.

[quote user="Julius Sieze-Her"]I think we should gain 4 more points - a draw v Liverpool, defeat at Arsenal and a decent win against Villa at Carrow Road (that would round the season off v nicely).[/quote]We don''t win last games I don''t think we''ve won the final game since 03-04 #ShockingStat

[quote user="the pigman"]Just one point it would ruin my season if we let Downing score.[/quote]At the risk of following my Torres punditry with yet more b*ll*cks, I am fairly confident that Stewart Downing wouldn''t be able to score against us even if our entire first team threw themselves on the ground and rolled around like Teletubbies for five minutes.Suarez would probably call Lappin a "paki" though.

We always knew the last 10 games or so were going to be a tough run of games featuring predominantly clubs from the top half. It didn''t take a genius to work out that if we didn''t have decent haul by the end of March we were going to be involved in a real relegation dogfight.

Its stating the blindingly obvious but staying in this league is pretty much all about winning your head to heads against sides in the relegation fight at the end of the year. If you look at bottom 6 still realistically in the frame to go down we have taken 21 points from a possible 33. That is a very decent haul accounting for nearly half our points this year. And explains why we have never really been in much danger all season.