Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Grant Holt chances for England selection?

If it goes on stats, Holt should be picked for England, whoever the Manager is:

http://www.eplindex.com/14112/england-xi-part-3-strikers-opta-stats-analysis.html?

Rooney is top and Holt comes in second place. These stats clearly show Holt has to be picked! Let''s just hope that Stuart Pearce doesn''t get to pick the squad because Pearce will only pick players "from the big clubs".

Didn''t stop Pearce from not picking him in the last squad...

He clearly should be in the squad, you don''t need stats (other than how many goals he''s scored) to tell you that. All things like this do, is back up the fact that if Pearce/who ever is in charge doesn''t pick Holt, they aren''t capable of doing their job properly.

Any manager should have a fair idea what Holt is capable off, just by watching MOTD every Saturday night and the several times on which City have featured live on TV this season, so they don''t even need to get off their butts and go and attend too many live games. I think he stands a fair chance of selection, but I wouldn''t stake big money in betting that he will make the England squad!

He won''t be picked.

A few games back he stood an outside chance but as our season fizzles out without Holt getting on the score sheet,he will be all but forgotten by those who matter.

Very interesting

Good to see that Holt is joint most effective finisher with Bent and a percentage point better than Rooney in that department.

I like the use of stats and I found the film Moneyball fascinating.

Just like Norwich Oaklands baseball team where in an unfair game and where comparatively poor. By concentrating on the pure stats they where able to build a "effective" team which was better than one built with players of the right background/good movers etc.

I think we very much have this issue with England where we like the look of people and we dont build a team to be effective whilst others do.

Great articles there what a beast Rodwell is 83% tackle success rate and 232 minutes till loss of possession and a pass rate near 90%. Looks like a perfect dm shame he has that hamstring issue for the Euros.

If he plays like he did against Man Utd - he''ll be picked

If he plays like he did against Man City - he won''t be considered

Simples.....

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]He won''t be picked.

A few games back he stood an outside chance but as our season fizzles out without Holt getting on the score sheet,he will be all but forgotten by those who matter.[/quote]good job we finish the season against 3 "Big" teams then... a goal against the terrible scousers, Terrible Villa or the pretty good arsenal and he''s back in the limelight again

The problem is that he has not played particularly well over the last two or three games. If he was already in the squad then it wouldn''t matter but when you''re trying to break into it you have to be in form. There is also the issue that if he did not make the last squad (when he was probably in a better run of form) then he is unlikely to get in now. I would be wary of just using statistics to create an argument that he should be selected as they tend to focus purely on goals scored. As much as it sounds ridiculous there is much more required from a modern striker than the ability to score goals.

Absolutely NIL chance I''m afraid!

Old man Redknapp will bring in his London based favourites if he gets the job whilst Pearce would have brought Holt into the squad for the last friendly if he rated him. Sure GH has scored goals but unless he is right on top of his game and focused then he can look very ordinary indeed. At 31 I think the view outside Norfolk (pundits like Stan Collymore excepted) is that he''s a ''one season wonder''.