Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Raid Rangers?

Glasgow Rangers that is.it really is looking bleak for them, a transfer embargo meaning they cant sign anyone, Millions in debt, a £130,000 fine and an owner who has been banned for Football for life (who knows why)with no interested investor and players no doubt looking at their futures is now the time to raid them for players? I can only see cut price fire sales in an attempt to save the club..who would you pick?Also, does anyone think this could be the best thing to happen to Scottish football in decades? with Rangers up the swonny it gives other clubs a chance. Rangers will be saved, but i would think they will drop down a couple of divisions due to finances before they are.

I would be very surprised if Rangers were not playing in the Scottish Premier league next season. Even if they are liquidated and have to reform they will be allowed to play in the top division under their new entity. The other sides in the league rely on Celtic and Rangers for much of their income.

Kyle Lafferty, that may be it from off the top of my head. i see them doing everything they can to keep their exsiting players though, since a transfer embargo has been placed preventing them from buying for 12 months

Football clubs in administration aren''t allowed to reject ''resonable'' transfer bids for their players - one of the many reasons that going into administration should never be used as a ''quick fix''.

If Rangers can''t secure a new owner before the transfer window reopens they could be in even more trouble than they are in now. At the moment, you would have to imagine if someone is prepared to come in and take on their debt they could probably easily get 2nd again next year in the SPL such is the poor quality of the League and the gap between the Glasgow clubs and everyone else.

interesting view Bethnal...i have a feeling the rest of the SPL might secretly be hoping rangers die... remember in Scotland only the top 2 get into the champions league... What price a hearts, Motherwell, or Aberdeen making it?the financial rewards of a Barcelona, Manchester united or a Bayern munich at home every season plus competition money....in a few seasons how long before they are on a level playing field witgh Celtic? Rangers dying could be the best thing to happen to Scottish football and the majoirty of clubs would probably tell you the same

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]interesting view Bethnal...

i have a feeling the rest of the SPL might secretly be hoping rangers die... remember in Scotland only the top 2 get into the champions league... What price a hearts, Motherwell, or Aberdeen making it?

the financial rewards of a Barcelona, Manchester united or a Bayern munich at home every season plus competition money....

in a few seasons how long before they are on a level playing field witgh Celtic? Rangers dying could be the best thing to happen to Scottish football and the majoirty of clubs would probably tell you the same
[/quote]

If Rangers are liquidated and re-formed, they will ''probably'' be allowed back in the SPL, but will be banned from Europezn Competition for 3 years

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]interesting view Bethnal...

i have a feeling the rest of the SPL might secretly be hoping rangers die... remember in Scotland only the top 2 get into the champions league... What price a hearts, Motherwell, or Aberdeen making it?

the financial rewards of a Barcelona, Manchester united or a Bayern munich at home every season plus competition money....

in a few seasons how long before they are on a level playing field witgh Celtic? Rangers dying could be the best thing to happen to Scottish football and the majoirty of clubs would probably tell you the same
[/quote]

Only the top team in Scotland goes into the Champions League (and even then has to go through several stages of qualifications before getting to the group stage). 2nd and 3rd get Europa along with the cup winner.

The teams in the Scottish Premier League (and that includes the Old Firm) are packed with players who have spent the major parts of their careers in the Championship or below. I do not think that there is one player at Rangers who would improve our squad.

People probably said that before Everton signed Jelavic...

And Championship or below, well where has our whole squad come from? (well bar Vaughan and Ruddy, we technically bought them from Everton, Ruddy played like once though, and Vaughan not all that much).

Generally I agree with your comment, but it isn''t as cut and dry as perhaps your wording makes it sound. There will be players that could potentially fit in here. Seriously, who expected Bradley Johnson to play quite a big part for us for a while? Leeds fans said he was rubbish (although conveniently only after he left them, same with Howson), apply that to any of our players. 3 Years ago, before Holt joined Norwich, probably even for the first year and a half, do you really think he realistically expected to play a single premiership game, never mind score 12 goals. Some people probably thought he was League One at best, I know my Grandad said last season and this season he won''t score many (might have been any this time).

I''ll admit I haven''t watched Rangers (or Celtic) in quite a while, and don''t know much about most of their players. But I didn''t know much about Ruddy, Martin, Ayala, R.Bennett, Tierney, Fox, E.Bennett, Pilkington, Johnson, Morison, Jackson, Crofts.

We probably won''t sign any Rangers players, but if we do, they''ll be exactly like the kind if players Lambert has always signed. I''m just not too keen on people witting off ''lower players'' because thats what we''ve built our success in completely. (I imagine, without looking into too much detail, we had one of the most inexperienced Championship squads last year...)

According to one report (to mention this is not to believe it) we have our sights set on raiding a different club in trouble. Portsmouth. For defenders Ward and Pearce.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]People probably said that before Everton signed Jelavic... And Championship or below, well where has our whole squad come from? (well bar Vaughan and Ruddy, we technically bought them from Everton, Ruddy played like once though, and Vaughan not all that much). Generally I agree with your comment, but it isn''t as cut and dry as perhaps your wording makes it sound. There will be players that could potentially fit in here. Seriously, who expected Bradley Johnson to play quite a big part for us for a while? Leeds fans said he was rubbish (although conveniently only after he left them, same with Howson), apply that to any of our players. 3 Years ago, before Holt joined Norwich, probably even for the first year and a half, do you really think he realistically expected to play a single premiership game, never mind score 12 goals. Some people probably thought he was League One at best, I know my Grandad said last season and this season he won''t score many (might have been any this time). I''ll admit I haven''t watched Rangers (or Celtic) in quite a while, and don''t know much about most of their players. But I didn''t know much about Ruddy, Martin, Ayala, R.Bennett, Tierney, Fox, E.Bennett, Pilkington, Johnson, Morison, Jackson, Crofts. We probably won''t sign any Rangers players, but if we do, they''ll be exactly like the kind if players Lambert has always signed. I''m just not too keen on people witting off ''lower players'' because thats what we''ve built our success in completely. (I imagine, without looking into too much detail, we had one of the most inexperienced Championship squads last year...)[/quote]

In the main, we have targeted and recruited young, hungry players with potential. Scotland''s Premier league is full of players who have spent most of their careers in England and, it would appear, have gone north for a realtively easier time, e.g. McCulloch, Lafferty, Bocanegra, Healy, Stokes, Murphy and Commons to name just a few with the Old Firm. The rest of the league is littered with others - to name some - Kyle, Heffernan, Croft, Morris, Murray, Nelson and O''Connor. The only two, in my opinion, who would have any chance of making an impact in the English Premier league are Joe Ledley and Gary Hooper but I can''t see their present Club being prepared to release them. I can assure you that there aren''t any "Rangers players exactly like the kind of players Lambert has always signed". It isn''t as cut and dry as your wording makes it sound - it requires players with that extra something to step up from lower leagues. The vast majority cannot do it.

I didn''t say there were players at Rangers, but if they are Championship standard, there is no reason why there isn''t potentially like the ones Lambert has signed in the past. I don''t know anything about any Rangers players, i''d probably have to check to be certain which ones I think play for them actually do.

And of course the vast majority can''t do it, but why does that automatically mean none of the Rangers players can''t? And how many of us, would have honestly said many/any of our players were really good enough for this league, and can now say with certainty no Rangers players are good enough?

I''m not committing to anything, because Lambert presents us with surprise after surprise. Which is why i''m not willing to write off anything, and find it a little strange so many people are willing to write of certain players/clubs.

Seriously, what makes Holt more likely to score goals at this level than Rhodes? Yet some people think Rhodes won''t do it and its only worth a shot on the cheap. If its determination, then there are plenty of lower league players with that. Its not quality/class, there are plenty more who would have been said to have more quality/class than Holt. But he''s been fantastic.

Just to clarify, i''m not saying Rangers are full of wonderful players we should be signing. Its just Lambert appears to have the knack of signing players you wouldn''t really think about.

Maurice Edu and Steven Davis would be good additions to the squad - either could play quite happily in a Premier League side (excluding the top 6 or 7).

The Scottish League is hard to judge, there are some very talented players at Rangers and Celtic - but because most of the League is very weak assessing their true ability is tough. A bit like the Dutch League really.

Great, let''s sign one up. It would be worth the look on a few Rangers'' fans'' faces if Paul Lambert came a-knocking and carried some prize cattle off back to England :-D All in the name of our glorious Union, naturally...God Save the Queen!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I didn''t say there were players at Rangers, but if they are Championship standard, there is no reason why there isn''t potentially like the ones Lambert has signed in the past. I don''t know anything about any Rangers players, i''d probably have to check to be certain which ones I think play for them actually do. And of course the vast majority can''t do it, but why does that automatically mean none of the Rangers players can''t? And how many of us, would have honestly said many/any of our players were really good enough for this league, and can now say with certainty no Rangers players are good enough? I''m not committing to anything, because Lambert presents us with surprise after surprise. Which is why i''m not willing to write off anything, and find it a little strange so many people are willing to write of certain players/clubs. Seriously, what makes Holt more likely to score goals at this level than Rhodes? Yet some people think Rhodes won''t do it and its only worth a shot on the cheap. If its determination, then there are plenty of lower league players with that. Its not quality/class, there are plenty more who would have been said to have more quality/class than Holt. But he''s been fantastic.[/quote]

It doesn''t. Never rule anything out but it would be helpful if you could come up with some names.