Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Are our results/performances better this season when Jackson is involved?

I have had the germ of this hypothesis floating around in my head for a little while now, and it won''t go away!

Anybody up to proving or disproving it?

[C]

OTBC

Can''t prove it or disprove it bbb, but it makes sense.   Get a pacy player up front and he can pull the defence around creating space for other players.   I don''t know if he''s completely found his confidence in front of goal at this level, or maybe needs one or two more runs in the team to give him that.  But that is about goal scoring.    On team level performance - I wouldn''t be surprised if your hypothesis is right.   I like it when he is up front with Holt as it makes more space for the goal machine to do his magic.

Vaughan looks promising in a similar way - although it is too early to judge him yet.   Needs games.

I think Jackson makes a better inside forward at this level, he''s got pace, work rate and a pretty decent delivery, so he works well on the wings with holt alone up top in a 4 2 3 1 formation like the trend with a lot of teams. I hope we move to this formation with a revert to 4-4-2 when we need to win ugly or defend from the front.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]I''ve been thinking the same about David Fox
[/quote]

Could well be so. That''s 2 now.......Jackson & Fox.

Anybody up to the analysis?

C''mon, let''s be having yer; the weekend''s here! [:)]

[C]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]I''ve been thinking the same about David Fox
[/quote]

Could well be so. That''s 2 now.......Jackson & Fox.

Anybody up to the analysis?

C''mon, let''s be having yer; the weekend''s here! [:)]

[C]

OTBC

[/quote]

Sorry.... Friday night.... large glass of red wine ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

Kind of agree about the fox bit. But imo we are not the same team with holt over the last 3 years we have missed him if out apart from the beginning of this season when morison, Bennett and pilks were doing it up front. Fox gives us that pass but with howson in his position is under threat. Jacko I.love but not sure. We have won many points without him. However imo the partnership of holt/jacko is the vest striker combo at the club

Probably depends on what part of the ground you are watching the game from

No... we were on 25-26 points and he had never been in the side apart from a handful of appearances.Best performances are when we have had a midfield 4, although start of the season the 5 man midfield worked to get results.I do not think our best performaces have been when Jacko is in the team. He is a player who if a bid came in, I would offload as we will be in the market for a new striker anyway and possibly another young striker if Jacko was to leave.

But i think you can show that every time Lappin has started this season we haven''t lost. In fact, I think we''ve won both matches...;)

More seriously, having taken Pilkington off v Man City, thought Jackson''s pace might have been more useful than Morison''s

Here are some stats:

Simeon Jackson:

Played at all: 25 points, 20 matches = 1.25 ppm

Not Played: 18 points, 16 matches = 1.125 ppm

Started: 19 points, 8 matches = 2.325 ppm

Started, if results stayed as they were: 15 points, 8 matches = 1.875 ppm

As Sub: 11 points, 12 matches = 0.916 ppm

Bringing Jackson on as a subsitute, net result: -1 point, 12 matches.

Taking Jackson off when he started, net result: 4 points, 6 matches.

Which look pretty good.

Except for one thing, the teams involved do not compare well. He has started 8 times: QPR, Wigan, WBA, QPR, Bolton, Swansea, Wolves and Man U. We probably should expect quite a high points average there, given 7 of the 8 teams involved. The low impact he has had as a substitute does tend to suggest it may not be continued should he have played more matches against other opposition.