Sign in to follow this  
Mr McGoo

woy for england job apparently

England job being offered to WBA manager Roy hodgson, WBA given go ahead and meeting is 2moro. Only person FA have approached and contract set to cover euro 12, world cup 14 and euro 16. They chose him over redknapp as he has previous international experience. YAWN

Look guys lets be sensible about this, the money which would have been required to get Harry from Spurs would have been around 16 million, where Roy was probably nothing or very minor, Is Harry worth 16million more than Roy ? I don''t believe so, we will proably fail in the Eoro''s and the World Cup with either manager so why pay 16million ??????? The FA may not have that sort of money anyway so it''s probably a no brainer.Over the year with all the resources available I believe Roy has done a better job at West brom than what harry has done at Spurs.The right man bearing in mind costs to appoint. 

England have wasted a lot of money on managers. They need to try and English manager. Redknapp has actually achieved very little, and based on budget and club stature, surely Hodgson''s work at Fulham is just as good, if not greater than Redknapp at Spurs?

Plus Redknapp would cave in, as soon as England winning something was mentioned (Look at his team, for a second year in a row, completely giving up once they are within reach of 1st).

Redknapp cost, along with not being as good as people think, added to the want/need of an English manager. Leaves a very small selection, could have gone for Steve Bruce? Pardew could have worked, but doubt England would have paid him more than Newcastle (think he''s on a decent wage there), most of the PL managers are foreign. The only other decent candidate I could think off, would be Lee Clark, but if he messed up the England job, that would probably ruin his career.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Another "Brian Clough" mistake then.
[/quote]

Brian Clough won two League titles and two European Cups. To compare him to a man like Redknapp who has managed to win one FA Cup in his entire career (and you can argue that Portsmouth effectively cheated their way to that win) to him is a joke. I never really got the desire for Redknapp to take over and privately I suspect he''ll be quite happy with being the popular choice of fans and media without the hassle of actually taking the job and risking failure.

[quote user="The Young One"]''The FA may not have that sort of money anyway...''

[/quote]

They''ve got pots of money.

Look at what they''ve wasted on Sven Goran Eriksson and Fabio Capello.

Where is the Lambert West Brom thread?!

On a serious note if the next manager had to be English I think this is a pretty solid choice. He has tournament experience and has managed abroad so he is very familiar with the differing European mentalities to the game and styles of play. The problem we have is that because he isn''t a big name or particular extrovert will the media and the public accept him? It shouldn''t be a problem given that some very big names have tried and failed in the job but knowing our media it will be.

From what I have seen with Redknapp this season he looks pretty one dimensional and doesnt have a plan B. He has lined up Spurs in a 4-4-1-1 all season and hasn''t been able to depart from the script whenever Lennon or someone else has been injured.

Good appointment.

Why spend 10 million £ on a manager with no international experience?

If you where hiring the manager I think after consideration you would give Roy the job also. very good spells with blackburn and fulham and excellent performances with various international teams. Dont forget at one stage the swiss where the 3rd best rated international team under his tenure.

Also manager of Inter milan and came back again got to the UEFA cup final etc etc.

Speaks 5 languages and is the few current English manager with international technical repute.

I dont understand the disappointment of some look at the CV''s its no competition throw the factor of massive compensation and you have your man right there.

England are a poor side at the moment only Rooney is world class and Gerrard on his day we are more of a West brom in international terms at the moment so I hope some dont delude themselves that the only thing holding us back is old Arry motivating the lads.

England is a large FA and should always have an English manager ALWAYs its embarrassing to have a foreign coach for us and should never happen, Its he problem of the premier league that we somehow have something against our own.

Yes, I''d been quietly chuckling at the comparisons to Brian Clough that have been made with regard to Redknapp over the last 24 hours.

Clough was an absolute one off. There has never been, nor will there ever be, a Manager like him-footballing brain, force of personality and ability to regularly make silk purses out of sows ears. League Championships with Derby County and Nottingham Forest and two European Cups with the latter with a cast of write offs, rejects and once seen as has beens?

He had his dark side, of course he did, we all have. But he was and remains one of the greatest English Managers there has been, as close to a Sir Alex Ferguson as we have ever had-pity Leeds United for chucking him out after 44 days, their history might have been very different had they persevered with him. Yes, he had one dark mark on his CV-Brighton (but Lambert has Livingstone and ''arry had Southampton) and yes, he may have tried to carry on for too long-but at his pomp he was untouchable and peerless with, at one time I believe, the then West Germany considering him as a serious contender to replace Helmut Scheon (sp).

Harry is a great motivator and guy to have around-but Van de Vaart said it all, he doesn''t do tactics and his tactics board is never used!

[quote user="The Young One"]Look guys lets be sensible about this, the money which would have been required to get Harry from Spurs would have been around 16 million, where Roy was probably nothing or very minor, Is Harry worth 16million more than Roy ? I don''t believe so, we will proably fail in the Eoro''s and the World Cup with either manager so why pay 16million ??????? The FA may not have that sort of money anyway so it''s probably a no brainer.

Over the year with all the resources available I believe Roy has done a better job at West brom than what harry has done at Spurs.

The right man bearing in mind costs to appoint. 
[/quote]

And Glenn Roeder to west brom, Now that would be nice

[quote user="The Young One"]Look guys lets be sensible about this, the money which would have been required to get Harry from Spurs would have been around 16 million, where Roy was probably nothing or very minor, Is Harry worth 16million more than Roy ? I don''t believe so, we will proably fail in the Eoro''s and the World Cup with either manager so why pay 16million ??????? The FA may not have that sort of money anyway so it''s probably a no brainer.

Over the year with all the resources available I believe Roy has done a better job at West brom than what harry has done at Spurs.

The right man bearing in mind costs to appoint. 
[/quote]

And Glenn Roeder to west brom, Now that would be nice

Do we think Woy will wing Sir Alex and ask him to welease Wooney for Euwos this summer in Poland & Ukwaine?It''s a weal wowwy with the stwikers as well, will it be Wooney, Cwouch, Stuwwidge, Welbeck or Gwant Holt???Let''s just hope that the likes of Bawwy, Tewwy and Gween are left behind to accomodate options like Wuddy, Wichards and maybe even Wodwell...All joking aside, I think this is a very good appointment and I fully agwee (sorry), with the reasons provided earlier in the thread - lack of compensation, good previous international and club record, and well respected internationally as well, Hodgson could go a long way to building back out poor reputation and performances.Can''t wait to see his first squad choice - assuming he accepts the wole :D

Bwilliant, Indy Bones!

Woy can still be a bit of a ranker, though.

Re the point that Old Shuck raises about Lambert''s failure at Livingston ("Yes, he had one dark mark on his CV-Brighton (but Lambert has Livingstone and ''arry had Southampton")), I seem to remember that Livingston were in administration at the time and couldn''t sign anyone.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Ho hum, yet more years in the International wastelands of English failure.[:(][/quote].........why? he has managed, successfully, at a high level, throughout europe and, liverpool apart, where he was not given a chance, he has been pretty successful results wise. certainly will do a better job than the much over hyped redknapp.

He couldn''t manage the egos in the Liverpool dressing room, I doubt he''s got much chance with A Hole, Rooney, Lampard, Stevie Gerrard (standing O), etc etc.I like Hodgson, I hope he does well but this is underwhelming.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He couldn''t manage the egos in the Liverpool dressing room, I doubt he''s got much chance with A Hole, Rooney, Lampard, Stevie Gerrard (standing O), etc etc.[/quote]It doesn''t appear that Dalglish can either...Liverpool''s main problem is simply that despite a couple of very good players, on the whole they''re totally underwhelming as a squad and some of the better players aren''t performing to their ability as often as they should in some cases such as Downing or Carroll.It''s a tough job at Liverpool for any manager at the minute, and I''ve got a lot more respect for Hodgson after recent events than I have for Dalglish, who appears to have turned into a miserable old man who''s 20 years behind the times.

I''m struggling to contain my excitement at the happy news! Still, whoever is appointed as England manager will not be able to achieve much with the squad of players at his disposal.

I agree with Young One''s theory i.e. is Harry 16m quid better than Roy?

Trouble is, that''s exactly how the decision has i''m sure been made and it''s a non footballing decision that will end in tears.

The red tops are going to be screaming "why haven''t you (FA) gone for ''arry the Messiah - he clearly wants it, he''s the best man for the job, everyone loves the lovely cockney boy, he knows how to deal with the big egos" etc etc.

So they will be just waiting and wanting for Roy to fail - which he will do under all the intense pressure and scrutiny - so they can stick the boot in. And so the circus starts all over again!

Thanks to a toxic combination of the red top media, the stupendously incompetent suits at the FA, and the slippery little b*stard that is Richard Scudamore, the England job is the biggest poisoned challice in football anywhere. I already feel sorry for Roy. I can imagine him getting the Taylor Turnip treatment if he doesn''t succeed.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mister Chops"]He couldn''t manage the egos in the Liverpool dressing room, I doubt he''s got much chance with A Hole, Rooney, Lampard, Stevie Gerrard (standing O), etc etc.[/quote]
It doesn''t appear that Dalglish can either...

Liverpool''s main problem is simply that despite a couple of very good players, on the whole they''re totally underwhelming as a squad and some of the better players aren''t performing to their ability as often as they should in some cases such as Downing or Carroll.

It''s a tough job at Liverpool for any manager at the minute, and I''ve got a lot more respect for Hodgson after recent events than I have for Dalglish, who appears to have turned into a miserable old man who''s 20 years behind the times.
[/quote]

It is a fair point about Hodgson being able to deal with big egos - he is famous for having incredibly boring training methods involving large amount of repetition. I went to see Fulham train once when he was there and he had all the players tied together with ropes to improve their positions - I can see why this wouldn''t work with people such as Gerrard.

Interesting to see what the rest of the ''world beaters'' in the England squad think about this.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He couldn''t manage the egos in the Liverpool dressing room, I doubt he''s got much chance with A Hole, Rooney, Lampard, Stevie Gerrard (standing O), etc etc.I like Hodgson, I hope he does well but this is underwhelming.[/quote]

I hear what you''re saying about managing egos, Chops, but Benitez hardly commanded much respect in his time at Liverpool and the only reason he stayed at the club as long as he did is because he couldn''t understand the lingo, hence misinterpreting the chants of "The Spic must go home!" for "You''ll never walk alone!" -- You know what it''s like with the red scum - you have to be a Boot Room old boy, a former player or at least had sexual relations with your sister to be truly accepted as manager at Anfield.The English FA seldom get anything right, but I believe they''ve made the correct decision in employing Royski.