Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Player of the season.

What a tough call pots will be this year! At times this season there has been a number of players who looked like they would be serious contenders.

Let''s look at some contenders,

Russ Martin - Looked class when moved to centre back. He was our stand out defender pre-xmas and helped us to some tough away points. Faded badly since being returned to righ back though.

Bradley Johnson - Started the season like a rocket and added real bite to the team. Superb early form nearly earned an England call up. Again like Russ Martin has faded as the season has worn on and failed to re-discover that early form.

Wes Hoolahan - For the third season in a row Wes has helped wow us with his magic. Scored and created some great goals. However struggled in certain formations and doesn''t seem to get the credit he deserves.

Pilkington - Scored some cracking goals, villa away to name one, and has taken to the premier league very well. Very inconsistant player though.

Elliot Bennet - Took time to adapt to the premier league but is looking the part now. Probally the most improved player this season and certainly the most consistent in the last quarter. 

Kyle Naughton - Very much so a premiership player. Kyle has has a very good season and probally been our most consistent performer.

Steve Morison - Another who started the season well but has struggled for form. Still 9 premiership goals is nothing to be ashamed of.

Grant Holt - Probally the clear favorite. However even Holty has been inconsistent and certainly took time to settle. His midseason purple patch started talk of an England call up, unfortunately his quiet end to the season will ensure he has a free summer to look forward too.

John Ruddy - Again his form has made England take note. Has been everpresent this season and has pulled of some outstanding point winning saves. Liverpool away probally my favorite. Unfortunatly prone to the odd error, but done very well with and everchanging defence in front of him.

There has been other great performances this year from players like Surman, Fox & Drury but probally not enough to challenge the above. For me its between Holt, Bennett& Ruddy. And if I had to choose I''d say Ruddy.

I just voted, Grant Holt.

Think he''s irreplaceable at the moment, we''ve had lots of fantastic performers this season, but Holt holds them together.

Holt. I think playing a large chunk of that game on Saturday without him illustrated why. Of course there were a lot of other factors at play but we just looked rudderless without him.

Holt for me. If he''s not picked as first choice for the team it''s difficult for him to prove his form has not dropped.

Still pivotal to our success. Indeed the big worry for next year is - who is the decent cover for him? The only striker we have who comes near to having a good first touch, can hold and lay the ball off and gives 100 per cent is Alby.

Holty POS by a country mile

Any one of Holt, Ruddy or Naughton for me. I don''t really like POTS to be honest especially for a team which has a clear lack of stars like ours but if pushed I would choose Ruddy.

Holt. For his goals and his presence and everything he brings to their team.

Anyone who thinks Morison or any of the others do just as good a job are kidding themselves.

Ruddy should be up there too and Whitbread could have been a real threat but he just hasn''t played enough games (again).

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Any one of Holt, Ruddy or Naughton for me. I don''t really like POTS to be honest especially for a team which has a clear lack of stars like ours but if pushed I would choose Ruddy.[/quote]

In light of goals conceded a vote for Ruddy or any of our defenders for POTS is quite absurd.Has to be Holt.

Was a tough call between Holt and Ruddy for me and i''ve voted for Ruddy! Don''t get me wrong, Holt has played way above my expectations this season, i just think Ruddy tips it as he has pulled off some World Class saves this season which kept us in many games!!

I think Holt should be an absolute nailed on certainty for POTS. Others have put in some fine performances, but the impact and influence that Holt has on the team, plus the goals, I think he has to win it. With Kathy voting for him non-stop under an array of pseudonyms, it should be in the bag for the big fella anyway..

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Because only the defenders and goalkeeper have any influence on goals conceded don''t they [:|]

[/quote]

Well, obviously not completely - not even partly - but certainly mostly.Although it has to be said, Holt, is the main man to blame for our two heavy defeats against Man City this season [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-8.gif[/img]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shack Attack"]Any one of Holt, Ruddy or Naughton for me. I don''t really like POTS to be honest especially for a team which has a clear lack of stars like ours but if pushed I would choose Ruddy.[/quote]

In light of goals conceded a vote for Ruddy or any of our defenders for POTS is quite absurd.

Has to be Holt.
[/quote]

You can''t tarnish Ruddy with the liabillity of the defence. Imagine how hard it is for Ruddy to develop a good understanding with constantly changing centre backs.

Seem''s like the general feeling is either Ruddy or Holt deserve it, with Holt most likely to actually be awarded it.

I''m with you on this lincoln canary. Ruddy has made some great saves this season getting us valuable points. The conceded goals are a collective fault of the team overall. Each player is responsible at some point for the goals we''ve let in this season. Saturday Ward and Fox were at fault. In other games it has been a poor midfield that has cost us.

Naughton  for me, think he has been class.If all our players were on loan and we could purchase only one, think about who would you purchase ?

Naughton for me.

Ruddy, Naughton or Holt.I think Ruddy deserves it, but the kids and casuals vote will all go to Holt so I expect him to win it comfortably. And I certainly wouldnt have any arguement with it.I do think Pilkington would be in with a shout if he had started more often.

We have a team of heroes but for me it is Holt.

This season has been Holt''s story.  Tyre fitter to popular candidate for England.  That is a fantastic journey and this has been the best leg.  Who thought he''d be our leading scorer in the Premier League and a nationally known figure?

It is incredible and he deserves every award he achieves.  I am just so proud to have watched him over the last three years.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]I think Ruddy deserves it, but the kids and casuals vote will all go to Holt [/quote]Just read my post and it came across wrong. I think an ever number of regular fans will vote for Holt 7 Ruddy, but the casuals will swing it to Holt. Either would be most deserving. Has anyone won it three times in a row?

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Trent Canary"]

I think Ruddy deserves it, but the kids and casuals vote will all go to Holt
[/quote]

Just read my post and it came across wrong. I think an ever number of regular fans will vote for Holt 7 Ruddy, but the casuals will swing it to Holt. Either would be most deserving. Has anyone won it three times in a row?

[/quote]

No. Keelan, Peters, Drinkell, Roberts, and Holt, have won it twice in a row. Gary Doherty sandwiched himself in between Huckerby''s two wins.

I don''t think anyone has ever won it three times, let alone three times in a row. I hope Holty is the first[Y]