Sign in to follow this  
Bill

WHERE WERE YOU 40 YEARS AGO TODAY ?

We went up having won against Orient - I was allowed the day off school to go with my dad and both granddads.

Watford results confirmed the title, but we were already up.

Lord Horn, I was 15 at the time and was there too, although I was with my dad on an old knackered coach that we didn''t think was going to make it.  I was at Hellesdon School at the time and just wondered if you went went there too? 

There are two other memories that stick out in my mind and they were the Chelsea / fog match that had to be abandoned and the Crystal Palace game we won to stay up when Dave stringer was sporting his "Get-Out-Of-Trouble-Stubble".  

Possibly the maddest bit about the Watford game was than fans had invaded the pitch well before the game was finished and everyone seemed crowded around the pitch. I remember people trying to hold each other back, with calls to keep off the pitch, as we didn''t want the game stopped.When the whistle did finally blow there was a mad dash towards the tunnel, players and fans alike. I was to the left of the players when they came out. Forbes shirt landed right close, would love to know where that finally ended up and who got it.It was just as bizarre before the game as most coaches dropped us off near the ground and the ''away'' end filled up well before the game.. The charge across the pitch was preceded by numerous placings of balloons on the centre circle, then I think a rush by quite a few of the more ''boisterous'' element to take ''their'' end. I have vivid memories of ''their lot'' scarpering very quickly. A few coppers made a half hearted attempt to stop the City fans, but soon gave up. Oddly enough fans were still entering into the open away end and finding City were all up the other end climbing over and simply walking across the pitch to join them.Yep, great days. more so when set against how it is now. There was a far more unruly, up for a laugh element that went to games in those days. You turned up, paid your money and in you went.I also recollect the bus stopping after an hour or so on the way down and while the hedge was used in the layby a group were trying to open a couple of party four cans with a large stone and part of a pen knife. The drivers mate came round and collected the ''fares'' after we had got going and most of the journey down and back was accompanied by singing. Most of the old favourites of the day and a few ''colourful'' songs that were quite a education to some of the young uns''.Scarves trailed from every window, as did ''aboose'' - if you could crane your head out off/near to the sliding windows at the top that is. Strangely I occasionally I bump into folk at and around CR, known of who I ever remember being remotely interested in City back then, neverming going to games and conversely many those who I knew back the have drifted away. Still City fans, you never lose that, but much of the fun seems to have gone, bar a few old ''boot boys'' still playing up in the snakepit.Good days

think we are all about the same age group. was a great day out . i remember i was wearing a white boilersuit which was very muddy and. when the coppers hat was being passed around. even old lil was trying to get on the pitch before full time lol

18 years old Barclay Boy at the time and when we entered the away end (most off the train) we went down the front and when the first few went onto the pitch we thought lets get out of the rain and get in their end.  Great scenes followed as we filled the Rookery.Took one or two ends that year.  Mate broke both wrists though falling off the fence at the end of the game.  We didn''t know as were heading for the tunnel and the return in the Directors box of the team.  Good days indeed.