Sign in to follow this  
Canary

What is our Best Team?

The criticism of the team recently has been quite high, with a large majority being aimed at Lambert for his constant team changing. Personally, i think he doesn''t know what our best team is yet... and it is a tough one to call!!

Mine would be (with everyone fit)

Holt

Pilkington Bennet

Fox Howson

Johnson

Drury Whitbread Bennet Martin

Ruddy

But then you see players like hoolahan and surman missing. Also, playing 4-5-1 would be too defensive against teams we should be beating, so then who do you drop from midfield and which striker do you start?

No wonder he cant make his mind up, but i hope he does it quickly for next year!

I don''t think we have a best team...

It would be better to ask, whats our best team against a certain opponent. I think part of our strength (and probably weakness) is that we can adapt to different opponents.

If I was pushed to a best X1, based purely on ability it''d be:

Ruddy

Naughton, Bennett, Whitbread, Tierney

Bennett, Howson, Surman, Pilkington

Holt, Vaughan.

Hard to leave Hoolahan out, but then its harder to leave Pilks and/or Bennett our in playing the diamond. You may also think its wrong putting Vaughan in after very little game time, but fully fit I think he''s going to offer so much, pace, strength, determination and finishing. He''s already looked pretty good and he must be pretty un-match fit.

[quote user="Aaron"]The criticism of the team recently has been quite high, with a large majority being aimed at Lambert for his constant team changing. Personally, i think he doesn''t know what our best team is yet... and it is a tough one to call!! Mine would be (with everyone fit) Holt Pilkington Bennet Fox Howson Johnson Drury Whitbread Bennet Martin Ruddy But then you see players like hoolahan and surman missing. Also, playing 4-5-1 would be too defensive against teams we should be beating, so then who do you drop from midfield and which striker do you start? No wonder he cant make his mind up, but i hope he does it quickly for next year![/quote]

You''ve highlighted the thing that PL has mentioned several times - its a squad game.     You look at one configuration, then another - and they both look as good.   This to me is an indication of the strength of the squad.   Our best team will vary, depending on who we''re playing and the tactic PL wants to use.    Trying to pick a settled team may be something that starts to emerge next year, but I wouldn''t worry if it doesn''t.  It simply means our best team varies from week to week depending on form, injuries, tactics etc. 

Having said that I really like the idea of Howson and Fox as the middle hub of the team, with Pilks, Bennett, Surman, Hoolahan rotating as necessary.     We are only going to get better in terms of teamwork as the newer players bed in to the club.  Looking good!

i would say

either jacko or morison (depends who we play)

-----------------holt----jackson-----------

-pilkington---------howson-------bennett--

---------------------fox--------------------

tierney-----whitbread---bennett-----martin

--------------------ruddy---------------

IMO Lambert''s team changing and swapping around is what helped us get points.  Blackpool''s downfall was they became predictable and it cost them.  So in other words we haven''t a best team overall, just a best team on the day if we get valuable points.

It is an interesting one, and quite difficult to say what our ''best'' XI; one thing i''m sure of is that we''d all agree on perhaps 7-8 players.

Re: chopping and changing, I agree with Role Model that it may have bought us several points this season. It is not something that has just happened recently, we''re maybe just noticing it more now that we are on a poorer run. IMO the writing was on the wall for Lambo''s tactics by the second game of the season: we''d had a decent draw at Wigan but made 5 or 6 unforced changes for the Stoke game.

Personally, I think we would go for a settled back four if possible, but injuries have prevented this happening more than occasionally. The rest is up for grabs on who Lambo thinks is best for what he wants to do.

-------------------------------Ruddy----------------------------------

Naughton-------Bennett--------Whitbread------Tierney---

Bennett----------Fox-------------Howson-------Pilkington--

---------------------Holt-------------Morison-----------------------

Morison will be a controversial choice but I still think he is our 2nd best striker. Despite a poor second half of the season.

In that team Jacko, I think he''d do very well.

Two decent wingers, and two attack full backs. With Howson and Fox for support.

To be honest, I can see Morison being in the team early next season if we have him, Holt, Pilks & Bennett, Tierney and Naughton (or Martin, or maybe new RB). While he started well in 4-5-1, he hasn''t played well as the lone striker in a long time, and I don''t think it''d be wise to try him again in that. Drury, just doesn''t offer the same attacking support Tierney does, and Naughton down the left isn''t all that much better. With two strong players down both flanks, Moro and Holt would have a lot of fun in the box.

That''s exactly what I have been thinking. Whenever he plays, he seems to get that thankless shift up top by himself. Would like to him paired with Holt again. That really unsettled defences when they both played.

Really tried to accommodate Wes but I have noticed in the recent weeks that he seems to have his best games when he comes off the bench and can really stretch the game. He hasnt been quite as effective as a starter.

I''m sure my Grandad has been telling me for most of this season Wes is/will be better coming off from the bench. When he starts he gets exhausted. I think it might have been the Wolves game, no probably the Everton game, he had to come off, looked like he was about to break down on the pitch. He wasn''t injured or anything. He has just upped his work rate, well every season under Lambert. And this year its obviously a lot harder.

He''s still a magnificent player, its harder for him to provide that killing blow than it was last season or the one before, but I bet you''ll find he''s heavily involved in one way or another in most of the goals we score while he''s on the pitch. He gets past people more this season it seems, has a great pass, can get the ball in dangerous areas. But he can do that so much better when the other team are tiering or stretched. And unfortunately he doesn''t really fit into what is probably our best formation.

Ruddy

Naughton  Ward  Whitbread  Tierney

Bennett  Howson  Surman  Hoolahan  Pilkington

Holt

It''s a good question, I think Surman has been fantastic this season but not sure I''d put him ahead of Pilkington, I think Hoolahan has been brilliant but not sure I''d put him ahead of Howson, and I think Ryan Bennett has a lot of potential but not sure I''d put him ahead of Whitbread or Ayala. Tough question and probably why Lambert mixes it up so often!

Our ''best'' team is very hard to judge. The difference in ability amongst our players isn''t very large, the players all have their own strengths, their own ''niches'' within the team which only they can really excel in. If I was going purely on players who have performed well this season, and disregarding things such as tactics and the opposition, my team would be:GK: RuddyRB: NaughtonRCB: R.MartinLCB: WhitbreadLB: Tierney/DruryRM: PilkingtonRCM: HowsonLCM: FoxLM: SurmanRS: HoltLS: Morison 

It''s impossible to pick a best team without considering the opposition and the tactics they employ, and also whether at home or away. There are probably other things such as current form of each of our players, the formation and tactics we intend to use, etc.

[quote user="GJP"]

Ruddy

Holt

[/quote]

Thats certainly a Midfield that would pass the ball all day and full of creativity. I put Fox ahead of Surman, but only just.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I don''t think we have a best team... It would be better to ask, whats our best team against a certain opponent. I think part of our strength (and probably weakness) is that we can adapt to different opponents. If I was pushed to a best X1, based purely on ability it''d be: Ruddy Naughton, Bennett, Whitbread, Tierney Bennett, Howson, Surman, Pilkington Holt, Vaughan. Hard to leave Hoolahan out, but then its harder to leave Pilks and/or Bennett our in playing the diamond. You may also think its wrong putting Vaughan in after very little game time, but fully fit I think he''s going to offer so much, pace, strength, determination and finishing. He''s already looked pretty good and he must be pretty un-match fit.[/quote]

Purely on abillity and you would not pick Hoolahan!?

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="GJP"]

Ruddy

Holt

[/quote]

Thats certainly a Midfield that would pass the ball all day and full of creativity. I put Fox ahead of Surman, but only just.

[/quote]

It was a toss up between Fox and Surman. I went with Surman because he''s got a goal or two in him and Fox hasn''t.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I don''t think we have a best team... It would be better to ask, whats our best team against a certain opponent. I think part of our strength (and probably weakness) is that we can adapt to different opponents. If I was pushed to a best X1, based purely on ability it''d be: Ruddy Naughton, Bennett, Whitbread, Tierney Bennett, Howson, Surman, Pilkington Holt, Vaughan. Hard to leave Hoolahan out, but then its harder to leave Pilks and/or Bennett our in playing the diamond. You may also think its wrong putting Vaughan in after very little game time, but fully fit I think he''s going to offer so much, pace, strength, determination and finishing. He''s already looked pretty good and he must be pretty un-match fit.[/quote]

Purely on abillity and you would not pick Hoolahan!?

[/quote]

Because he doesn''t fit into 4-4-2... Obviously, purely on ability in a worthwhile formation. Otherwise I''d pick 2 defenders, 1/2 striker/s and the rest in midfield .

----------------Ruddy---------------

Naughton ---R.Martin --- Whitbread --- Tierney

Pilks --- Fox --- Howson --- Surman

Holt --- Morison