Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

From our Paddy at Paul Lambert's press conference

Lambert not biting on Zak Whitbread speculation. Won''t play again this season though. Drury unlikely.

Lambert expects to be in the same market as Reading and Saints for players. Same

outlay as last summer expected. Might have to wheel and deal.

Doesn''t sound encouraging at all. Maybe he is just down playing the fact that we don''t have much money when we actually do, or maybe he''s being truthful about it. I think the latter.

Exactly - some people seem to think we will be bringing in 4-5M signings! We won''t.

With the financial backing behind Reading and Southampton I would be pleased if we were fighting with them for players and surprised if we trumped them too often.

From the end of the championship season to now by my calculations i think we must have paid about £16m in transfer fees a very respectable outlay for a club of our size and previous financial difficulties. I would be happy with the same again but perhaps spent on only 4 or 5 players this time to add to the quality we have

If that''s the case then PL has managed very well so far. The big question is... does he want that restriction anymore or will he want to spread his wings and move on to a club with more transfer clout?

It''s certainly intriguing if nothing else. I have no idea if the quote is accurate but an ITV article has Lambert down stating "My job was to survive. They have to survive next season. It''s very simple." Not sure the use of ''they'' is particularly encouraging.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2012-05-04/my-job-was-to-survive-says-lambert/

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Exactly - some people seem to think we will be bringing in 4-5M signings! We won''t.

With the financial backing behind Reading and Southampton I would be pleased if we were fighting with them for players and surprised if we trumped them too often.

[/quote]

Interesting though that those people include Paul Lambert.  He said last week that he wanted to bring another 4-5 players in.  So perhaps we will.

The trouble is even the likes of Rhodes,Snodgrass,Whittingham ,Rodriguez etc will cost around the £4-5 million mark so even bringing in the best of the lower leagues looks beyond us , and signing those types cannot really be classed as strengthening as they are all untried at Premiership level .Time for Lambert to take his shopping trolley abroad and get a little bit more for his £ .

You would hope the club are looking abroad, let''s get some newcastle style gems! I remember Lambert saying last summer that he wouldn''t look abroad till after our first season in the prem, that has happened now so hopefully he''s done his homework. I do have some fears over our scouting network and how established it is abroad.

[quote user="priceyrice"]You would hope the club are looking abroad, let''s get some newcastle style gems! I remember Lambert saying last summer that he wouldn''t look abroad till after our first season in the prem, that has happened now so hopefully he''s done his homework. I do have some fears over our scouting network and how established it is abroad.[/quote]good job theres a tournament in the summer! Group A is russia, Greece, poland and Czech republic. not any of the "Bigger" European sides...what gems could we unearth relatively cheaply from one of these sides?

[quote user="Ncfc"]The trouble is even the likes of Rhodes,Snodgrass,Whittingham ,Rodriguez etc will cost around the £4-5 million mark so even bringing in the best of the lower leagues looks beyond us , and signing those types cannot really be classed as strengthening as they are all untried at Premiership level .Time for Lambert to take his shopping trolley abroad and get a little bit more for his £ .[/quote]

Just the one quality signing from abroad would suffice as I''m certain we''ll need 2-3 players with plenty of Premiership experience in order to nurture the talent already here and keep us in the top flight.

"From our Paddy"

Sports Desk Pete - You are infact Cilla Black and I claim my £10 reward

And Yes, I agree that our scouts need to be working overtime during this summers Euro''s, with a team already proven to be capable of maintaining our premiership status now is the time to take a little gamble on non uk players. If they fail to adapt or settle then we have capable back up options.

Agree re needing to maybe look abroad for better value given the prices attached to some (fairly average) young British players.

Some more owrrying quotes from Lambo in that ITV interview. In fairness he does then go on to say "I" and "me" when talking about how much he will spend but quotes like this worry me:

"At least the club is safe at the minute but the reality is they need to stay in the league again.

"My job was to survive. They have to survive next season. It''s very simple."

Use of "Norwich" and "they" when talking about us and certain quotes seemingly distancing himself from the board on the subject of transfer budget. He''s either applying pressure to loosen the budget/wage structure or preparing the ground for his departure. Hopefully its the former but i''m not so sure!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Agree re needing to maybe look abroad for better value given the prices attached to some (fairly average) young British players.

Some more owrrying quotes from Lambo in that ITV interview. In fairness he does then go on to say "I" and "me" when talking about how much he will spend but quotes like this worry me:

"At least the club is safe at the minute but the reality is they need to stay in the league again.

"My job was to survive. They have to survive next season. It''s very simple."

Use of "Norwich" and "they" when talking about us and certain quotes seemingly distancing himself from the board on the subject of transfer budget. He''s either applying pressure to loosen the budget/wage structure or preparing the ground for his departure. Hopefully its the former but i''m not so sure!

[/quote]

Shhhh..you need to discuss this very quietly as some people take umbridge with this topic of language used by Lambert (see threads earlier in week), but yes I agree it doesnt sound quite right. It maybe that ive only noticed it in the last few interviews because of all the villa speculation and if he was using these terms last year I would feel alot better, I just dont remember him doing so.

[quote user="Julius Sieze-Her"]Regarding our supposed relative poverty, can anybody explain (v briefly) where the £90 million from being in the Premiership goes to then??[/quote]A lot of people misunderstand that £90m figure. Although that is what one season in the Premier League is sometimes estimated to be worth in total, it includes the many millions in parachute payments that a team relegated from the Prem would expect over x number of subsequent years in the Championship. I believe the baseline figure often used for a single Premier League season is usually somewhere in the region of £40m. Obviously a proportion of that is then used in capital outlay on new players, but not all of it will be available for that purpose. There are still debt repayments to be serviced, performance/promotion bonuses to be paid, agents'' [spit] wages to be paid, and the Club still has its running costs/overheads, so part of that £40m or so would have still had to be spent even if the Club were still in the Championship (i.e. it is not £40 over and above the usual Championship income).I''m sure others more financially-savvy than me will know of other expenses that have ot come out of the baseline budget.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"] 

Interesting though that those people include Paul Lambert.  He said last week that he wanted to bring another 4-5 players in.  So perhaps we will.

[/quote]If you re-read the post carefully you will see the 4-5M is referring to the value of the players people think we will be purchasing (i.el. £4-5m each), not the number of players.

I wouldn''t read too much into Lambert''s use of they when talking about the club. My memory is that people were making similar comments after last year''s promotion when Lambert seem to keep himself at a distance from the celebrations. I am also fairly certain that he made reference to ''they'' when he said how far did they want to go.

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Julius Sieze-Her"]Regarding our supposed relative poverty, can anybody explain (v briefly) where the £90 million from being in the Premiership goes to then??[/quote]A lot of people misunderstand that £90m figure. Although that is what one season in the Premier League is sometimes estimated to be worth in total, it includes the many millions in parachute payments that a team relegated from the Prem would expect over x number of subsequent years in the Championship. I believe the baseline figure often used for a single Premier League season is usually somewhere in the region of £40m. Obviously a proportion of that is then used in capital outlay on new players, but not all of it will be available for that purpose. There are still debt repayments to be serviced, performance/promotion bonuses to be paid, agents'' [spit] wages to be paid, and the Club still has its running costs/overheads, so part of that £40m or so would have still had to be spent even if the Club were still in the Championship (i.e. it is not £40 over and above the usual Championship income).I''m sure others more financially-savvy than me will know of other expenses that have ot come out of the baseline budget.[/quote]

Yes the £90m is a bit deceptive in that my understanding is that it is a figure that covers the total payments a club can expect to receive from one season in the prem and the parachute payments if they get relegated after that one season.

This is all slightly simplistic but in terms of what we will have earnt for being in the prem this season the figure is likely to be around £42m based on what clubs finishing in the 13-15th place bracket earnt last season. If we can scramble up 2 or 4 places with a few points from the last two games it might be nearer £45m.

Blackpool were the lowest placed club last season and earnt £39.1m.

So in terms of what we can plan for in terms of guaranteed income/cash flow we should get £42 million ish for this season (some of which we have probably already got) plus at least £40m for next season (even if we finish bottom) plus £48 million in parachute payments spread over the following four seasons if we do go down.

Given the levels of our debts at the start of this season it should therefore be possible for the board to achieve its aim of clearing those by the end of the next financial year with still a reasonable amount left in the pot (or if not yet actually in the pot guaranteed to come into the pot) for team strengthening.

I suspect the real dilemma is not transfer fees or how much Lambo has to spend on transfers but more around wages. Even the likes of Fulham and West Brom will be paying wages which are higher than ours at present and we need to decide if we are going to match and compete with those sorts of clubs for players. if we can''t then it could be a frustrating summer transfer wise for Lambo.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Julius Sieze-Her"]Regarding our supposed relative poverty, can anybody explain (v briefly) where the £90 million from being in the Premiership goes to then??[/quote]A lot of people misunderstand that £90m figure. Although that is what one season in the Premier League is sometimes estimated to be worth in total, it includes the many millions in parachute payments that a team relegated from the Prem would expect over x number of subsequent years in the Championship. I believe the baseline figure often used for a single Premier League season is usually somewhere in the region of £40m. Obviously a proportion of that is then used in capital outlay on new players, but not all of it will be available for that purpose. There are still debt repayments to be serviced, performance/promotion bonuses to be paid, agents'' [spit] wages to be paid, and the Club still has its running costs/overheads, so part of that £40m or so would have still had to be spent even if the Club were still in the Championship (i.e. it is not £40 over and above the usual Championship income).I''m sure others more financially-savvy than me will know of other expenses that have ot come out of the baseline budget.[/quote]

Yes the £90m is a bit deceptive in that my understanding is that it is a figure that covers the total payments a club can expect to receive from one season in the prem and the parachute payments if they get relegated after that one season.

This is all slightly simplistic but in terms of what we will have earnt for being in the prem this season the figure is likely to be around £42m based on what clubs finishing in the 13-15th place bracket earnt last season. If we can scramble up 2 or 4 places with a few points from the last two games it might be nearer £45m.

Blackpool were the lowest placed club last season and earnt £39.1m.

So in terms of what we can plan for in terms of guaranteed income/cash flow we should get £42 million ish for this season (some of which we have probably already got) plus at least £40m for next season (even if we finish bottom) plus £48 million in parachute payments spread over the following four seasons if we do go down.

Given the levels of our debts at the start of this season it should therefore be possible for the board to achieve its aim of clearing those by the end of the next financial year with still a reasonable amount left in the pot (or if not yet actually in the pot guaranteed to come into the pot) for team strengthening.

I suspect the real dilemma is not transfer fees or how much Lambo has to spend on transfers but more around wages. Even the likes of Fulham and West Brom will be paying wages which are higher than ours at present and we need to decide if we are going to match and compete with those sorts of clubs for players. if we can''t then it could be a frustrating summer transfer wise for Lambo.

[/quote]Exactly. My opinion too.  It''ll be a far tougher tougher decision to, by how far we raise the wage ceiling and juggling that, than actual transfer fees demanded by other clubs.The same old story, it''s straight forward seeking out a decent Bosman, it''s the £1000s demanded in wages that causes difficulties.

If you play Paul Lambert''s interview backwards it reveals that Grant Holt actually died in a car accident and has been replaced by an actor...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]If you play Paul Lambert''s interview backwards it reveals that Grant Holt actually died in a car accident and has been replaced by an actor...[/quote]

Well as long as the actor keeps finding the back of the net I dont care.

They said on Talksport yesterday that Blackburns wage budget has been reduced to less than Blackpools so it is no surprise they are where they are. I dont totally agree with this but think there maybe some mileage in reducing the available transfer kitty in order to cover a larger wage structure. The danger is of course that by going down this route relegation turns from being a disaster to being club threatening.

what would be great at these press conferences if someone would ask PL outright will he be here next season. If he unequivocally says yes then the matter is finalised if he deflects the question then there is something to worry about. It would be great if someone from the EDP took the lead on it and then everyone can calm down

[quote user="ting tong"]what would be great at these press conferences if someone would ask PL outright will he be here next season. If he unequivocally says yes then the matter is finalised if he deflects the question then there is something to worry about. It would be great if someone from the EDP took the lead on it and then everyone can calm down[/quote]

But he is unlikely to give the kind of unequivocal answer you want. And even if he did would it be entirely reliable? This is not particularly aimed at Lambert, but people in football are economical with the truth all the time. Equally if he deflected the question - as he deliberately did over Burnley, with a very ambiguous answer - that wouldn''t necessarily mean there was anything to worry about.

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"] 

[/quote]

If you re-read the post carefully you will see the 4-5M is referring to the value of the players people think we will be purchasing (i.el. £4-5m each), not the number of players.
[/quote]

I stand corrected.  Thank you.

I would have expected us to have a bigger budget this summer mainly because we''ll have in the region of 5 million pounds in prize money which we didn''t have last time. Pretty sure Mcnally said that money would be added to the transfer fund.