Sign in to follow this  
Phillip J Fry

Adam Clayton?

I love that fact that Leeds Utd are now our feeder team, however, in the cases of both Bradley and Howson Leeds wanted to keep them and were unhappy losing them to us, In this case he is deemed by Colin not to be good enough for Leeds so this would worry me if we tried to sign him. Of course Colin may be wrong.

Reputed to be very good. Like Howson & Johnson before him, seems he has refused to sign a new contract.

Can''t see that will exactly encourage Snodgrass to sign up for super Leeds over the coming year.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

Reputed to be very good. Like Howson & Johnson before him, seems he has refused to sign a new contract.

Can''t see that will exactly encourage Snodgrass to sign up for super Leeds over the coming year.

[/quote]

Ahhh.. blimley, Leeds really struggle to keep hold of their players dont they, almost feel sorry for their fans to keep seeing players leave in the same way again and again. I said almost by the way, almost :)

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

I love that fact that Leeds Utd are now our feeder team, however, in the cases of both Bradley and Howson Leeds wanted to keep them and were unhappy losing them to us, In this case he is deemed by Colin not to be good enough for Leeds so this would worry me if we tried to sign him. Of course Colin may be wrong.

[/quote]

That is not what the story says, which is that Warnock is reluctantly letting him go. That may or may not be true, but it entirely possible Leeds don''t want to lose him but have decided to cash in now, with a year left on his contract and with him not wanting to stay. I do remember when we signed Howson that some Leeds fans were saying Clayton was the better (or at least the more consistent) player.

[/quote]

That''s not entirely true. It''s because he is in the last year of his contract, like Snodgrass, and that they know there is interest in premiership teams for him. Warnock wants to build his own team and wants funds to do it. Clayton is a good asset to sell as is Snodgrass if he goes.

At 23 he could well be worth a gamble depending on price. I could see someone like him coming in to replace Lappin.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

[/quote]

That is not what the story says, which is that Warnock is reluctantly letting him go. That may or may not be true, but it entirely possible Leeds don''t want to lose him but have decided to cash in now, with a year left on his contract and with him not wanting to stay. I do remember when we signed Howson that some Leeds fans were saying Clayton was the better (or at least the more consistent) player.

[/quote]

I Know PC, it seems to depend which article you read, hense why I backtracked from this in my above post, although Lambert is God isnt sure now either hehe. I dislike Colin, but do think he has a fairly decent track record on judging players compared to others, had some gems at sheffield utd, but as you say, some article are saying he is just having a clear out while others say its alittle more forced upon him.

Ken Bates said yesterday there would be one surprise on the transfer list because someone demanded £15,000 a week in wages. That person must be Clayton. Hence why he is on the transfer list. Nothing to do with whether Warnock rates him or not.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I Know PC, it seems to depend which article you read, hense why I backtracked from this in my above post, although Lambert is God isnt sure now either hehe. I dislike Colin, but do think he has a fairly decent track record on judging players compared to others, had some gems at sheffield utd, but as you say, some article are saying he is just having a clear out while others say its alittle more forced upon him.

[/quote]

SOG, I''ve only read that one story that was linked, and I am not so naive as to believe everything I read! But there is a logic to the idea that Leeds are only willing to sell because they don''t want to lose an unhappy and unmotivated player in a year''s time for nothing. Of course I have no idea whether we would be interested.

Going off at a tangent, The Guardian had a compilation season''s end blog from all its amateur Championship correspondents. Ie fans. And there were some interesting choices of players of the season, including two former Canaries, but others*** who were praised as being Premier League class:

Blackpool: Matt Gilks!

Brighton: Vicente***

Derby: Jason Shackell!

Leeds: Ross McCormack*** (rather than Clayton)

Burnley: Trippier and Rodriguez

Hull: James Chester***

Portsmouth: Jason Pearce

Watford: Mariappa***

A look on the leeds Forum suggests that they think it was Clayton that asked for the rise, but opinion very split on his departure, general consenus seems to be hes been quite good in a bad team but not developed into much more than a championship team player and has tailed off badly in second half of season. I could well be that Colin thinks he can get better and is creating space and funds.

Having read a Leeds fans End of Season report his exact words regarding Clayton were ''started the season like a train, but his influence has faded''. It seems to be that Clayton is one of very few players Leeds fans rate, however he has faded (mainly because of Leeds poor midfield) and Snodgrass has been inconsistent. He says that Ross McCormack is player of the season because he''s the only good player who has performed consistently.

A look on the leeds Forum suggests that they think it was Clayton that asked for the rise, but opinion very split on his departure, general consenus seems to be hes been quite good in a bad team but not developed into much more than a championship team player and has tailed off badly in second half of season. I could well be that Colin thinks he can get better and is creating space and funds.

[/quote]Possibly. However from what I''ve seen of him (very, very, little) there are very few midfield players that compare to him in the championship, both in terms of ability and style of play, and the article even mentions that Warnock is ''reluctant'' to let him go.

Leeds fans are split over Clayton, alot like they were over Howson

50% say on his day he is the best player in the world

the other 50% wouldnt start him

I wouldnt want him here

Interesting that Portsmouth''s Jason Pearce figures on Purple''s list. He was one of the ones we were claimed to be interested in last week, but now reportedly on his way to Leeds.

From what I''ve read on Leeds forums now and in the past it seems that every current and not transfer listed Leeds player is the dogs doo daa''s, yet as soon as either he leaves or wants to leave, he''s alright but could do better.

Funny that!

We''ve got enough players of the Clayton ilk and especially enough midfielders to warrant surplus in that particular area. One quality and experienced midfielder is what is required to lead by example and nurture the younger, inexperienced talent already on the books. The same can be applied to defence where we''re seriously lacking a quality and experienced leader.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]Interesting that Portsmouth''s Jason Pearce figures on Purple''s list. He was one of the ones we were claimed to be interested in last week, but now reportedly on his way to Leeds.[/quote]

Of course these are only in each case one fan''s views, LIG. As to managers, for the future, there were these comments:

No manager gets it right all the time, but Gus [Poyet] is doing a fantastic job. Uncompromising with our passing style, but prone to unprofessionally storming off before the end of a match.

He [Howe at Burnley] has done as well as could be expected given the budget restraints he is operating under, but we need to stop going on bad runs of defeats at key points of the season.

What can we say about this man? He''s been exceptional this season and I have to say it ... destined for far bigger things than Cardiff City, just not yet. He has totally united the club, players and fans, 10/10.

Sean Dyche [Watford] had already won me over by virtue of looking incredibly scary and sounding even scarier. (If you haven''t heard him interviewed I urge you to do so). After a poor start he was criticised by many for not fielding more of Watford''s promising crop of academy graduates, but he did a fantastic job of turning things around and an 11th place finish when most people expected relegation speaks for himself. Well played sir.

yes.. lets sign a mid table championship midfield line up.....We have howson and we have Johnson.. lets set our sights a little bit higher than the little clubs for our next signings

"We have howson and we have Johnson.. lets set our sights a little bit higher than the little clubs for our next signings"

So no more of Holt (Shrewsbury), E. Bennett (Huddersfield), Pilkington (Huddersfield), Whitbread (Millwall), etc.?

Poor old Keegan should really have been left to play out his days at Scunny.

"We have howson and we have Johnson.. lets set our sights a little bit higher than the little clubs for our next signings"

So no more of Holt (Shrewsbury), E. Bennett (Huddersfield), Pilkington (Huddersfield), Whitbread (Millwall), etc.?

[/quote]no... those players have got us this far but wont be enough to take us to the next level. we dont need to spend millions, we need to be looking at the relegated sides, bosmans and up and coming youngsters now...

Yes yes LIG...not to mention Ian Rush at Chester, and Jimmy Case at South Liverpool!

...and to bring it up to date Chris Smalling should have stayed at Maidstone.

I only want players from big clubs like when we got from Sibierski Man City.

[/quote]

This is true LiG, but i see what Jas is saying, if we were to sign another 22 players like the ones you mention (not keegan) then our starting line up will be no stronger next year than now. I would much prefer to spend our money on 1 or 2 players to improve the starting XI than 5-6 players that make the team stronger, we know only one player can make a massive difference to a team from Mr Huckerby and has the added benefit of not upsetting the team spirit so much which has played a huge factor in this years results imo. Its debateable if those 1-2 players are currently playing lower leauge football in this country and have not recieved huge media attention, ie clayton.

"I only want players from big clubs like when we got from Sibierski Man City."

Lol, Spence! (Hope Spencer Junior enjoyed his mascotting the other week!).

Anyway, stop mucking about, Lambert, and send Jackson, Morison and Holt back to the non-league as they''ve just been fooling you all along (like Ian Wright and Cyrille Regis did all those years ago).

Sod the expense and let''s get some real Premiership material in! Joey Barton, Adel Taarabt, ...

"I would much prefer to spend our money on 1 or 2 players to improve the starting XI than 5-6 players that make the team stronger".

I see your point, Son Ova Gunn, it''s just that Lambert has said he will be looking for 3-4 players. This may be a conservative figure, and he could be looking at more.

Maybe you are right, but I think lots of people on here have identified more than 1 or 2 positions that need addressing (striker, both full backs, and defensive midfielder seem to be a general "consensus").

My sarcasm aside (sorry!), the point I was making was that there are, and always have been, quite a few players outside the Prem who could make it in the top league. Which is just as well because they don''t need the huge wages we can''t afford to pay.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Yes yes LIG...not to mention Ian Rush at Chester, and Jimmy Case at South Liverpool! ...and to bring it up to date Chris Smalling should have stayed at Maidstone. I only want players from big clubs like when we got from Sibierski Man City.[/quote]

If I recall, Sibierski was kindly loaned to us by Steve Bruce whilst at Wigan?