Sign in to follow this  
"""""""""Ben """""""""""

Everyone is after Whitbread

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/7726950/Eyes-on-Canaries-ace

Sky Sports understands that a host of Premier League clubs are ready to make a move for Norwich City defender Zak Whitbread.

The 28-year-old American centre-half has featured in over 20 games for the Canaries this season and has impressed.

However Whitbread, who joined Norwich from Millwall in 2010, is out of contract at the end of the season.

Now, with just weeks of the campaign left, a number of clubs are known to have been alerted to the fact that Whitbread is set to become a free agent if he cannot agree a new deal at Carrow Road.

Everton, Wigan, Sunderland, along with newly promoted Reading and Southampton, are all thought to be considering a Bosman deal for the former Liverpool trainee.

Do you think he''ll sign a new contract?

I hope so! Think we''ve missed him and Ayala while they''ve been out recently. Out of the 5 clubs mentioned, I think only Everton and Sunderland could be considered a step up, but if he would be a squad player then no point for him really?

Perhaps they are all interested, or perhaps Whitbread''s agent is looking for a new club for him.

I suppose he is as good as any other CB at the club, (-not saying very much), and we would have no transfer fee to pay, but does PL want him - injuries and all?

I would rate him and Ayala as our two best CB''s, in my opinion. It would be a great shame to see him leave if he did, I hope Lambert signs him up on another contract!

I suspect he''s already on his way. He will make a lot more money by moving to another club on a Bosman than he would by signing a new contract with us. Lets face it, if he was staying the City would have renewed his contract already.

[quote user="Col Canary"]I suspect he''s already on his way. He will make a lot more money by moving to another club on a Bosman than he would by signing a new contract with us. Lets face it, if he was staying the City would have renewed his contract already.[/quote]

And how do you know he hasn''t?

No new contracts have been announced, and there are about 6 players out of contract aren''t there? How is Lambert going to replace 6 players?

Have you just decided to forget the fact Lambert has announced a contract signing later than it actually was signed before? Its his style, why are you getting worried?

Lambert definitely likes him as a player.

He has started every game when he has been fit, even going back to last year (as far as I''m aware).

It would be interesting to see if Ayala, Bennet and Whitbread were all fit who he would start.

The only potential issue is wages, especially as he can demand more if he has other offers. Lambert has a strict structure to adhere to though so if he gets silly he''ll let him go.

I''m sure Lambert will do what''s best for the club

I have said in January that Whitbread signing would be a very important move and I believe it would be but at the same time I understand our resources are tight and our ambitions are growing. We did not have a good defensive record and if that money could go towards a player with leadership skills then even better. His wages could be used for better use maybe and help in making a move for another player to come in.I feel the same about a number of players whose contracts are up, many have come up the leagues with us and I think that if they sign it is mainly for the squad, however if they don''t then it means that money is being used to bring in higher calibre players.So I actually think it is a win either way as either you keep the ethos and spirit or you bring in those that can help push us a little further in regards of quality.Either way I am a fan of Whitbread and there is no question he has been our best centre half this season, so many blocks... and if other clubs are looking at him it is deserved. A very good player who I am glad has had this rise to play with us in the premier league.

Drury, Whitbread, Ward, Fox, Smith, Jackson, WIlbraham. All those players contracts are up (Jackson has a one year extension option, but he''d probably like a new contract if he''s staying)

So because Whitbread hasn''t signed/been announced, i''m going to use some peoples logic and assume he''s off. So thats 3 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers off. With Naughton also going back, and a number of other players potentially leaving for not being good enough. We don''t have much of a squad for next season do we.

I think there''s probably something in this, because I''ve heard it from all over the place. I guess it probably comes down to his injury record, Lambert probably isn''t willing to pay loads if he''s only going to be fit half a season. And clearly he''s looking to Bennett and Ayala to be the future, which means Whitbread won''t be guaranteed first choice.

Drury is probably in his last year.

I don''t think he will let Whitbread and Ward both go. Likewise with Jackson and Wilbraham

Fox....maybe as we have a lot of midfielders. Smith hasn''t been here anyway.

So we are looking at 1 CB, 1 FB, 1 MF?, 1 ST. I''m sure Lambert wants more than 4 players in the summer anyway, so doesn''t look too bad to me!

But that means no one else can leave. And according to quite a few, players like Crofts, Lappin, Barnett, Morison could/should easily go.

[quote user="anonamoose"]Drury is probably in his last year.

I don''t think he will let Whitbread and Ward both go. Likewise with Jackson and Wilbraham

Fox....maybe as we have a lot of midfielders. Smith hasn''t been here anyway.

So we are looking at 1 CB, 1 FB, 1 MF?, 1 ST. I''m sure Lambert wants more than 4 players in the summer anyway, so doesn''t look too bad to me![/quote]

Provided Blackburn & Bolton go down with Wolves I''d suggest

Lambert looks for experience and quality in some of the following:Blackburns

Vincenzo Grella, Radosav Petrović & N''Zonzi -- all defensive

midfielders which I believe is one of our weak areas. Boltons Sean Davis, Wheater & Zat Knight - and Roger Johnson & Fletcher of Wolves.I would also like to think Lambert is looking abroad, notably Germany.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]You can''t really think Lambert would try and sign Roger Johnson?[/quote]

Why not?

Because he''s been relegated twice, dropped, turns up to training drunk, has a wife/partner who likes to complain about the managers team selection. He''s also not that good, he had a great partner at Brum, its when he and the other one got injured Brum became rubbish. But this season he''s not been good enough.

Even just assuming that last bit is just my opinion and complete rubbish, why would Lambert sign a player like that? It goes completely against every other signing he has made.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Because he''s been relegated twice, dropped, turns up to training drunk, has a wife/partner who likes to complain about the managers team selection. He''s also not that good, he had a great partner at Brum, its when he and the other one got injured Brum became rubbish. But this season he''s not been good enough.

Even just assuming that last bit is just my opinion and complete rubbish, why would Lambert sign a player like that? It goes completely against every other signing he has made.[/quote]

So you don''t really rate Lambert as a manager - I think Lambo has the credentials required to turn a player like Johnson around and get the best out of him.You may rate the likes of McLeish & McCarthy better than Lambert, but I and plenty of others don''t, GP.Shame on you.

I''m not saying Lambert wouldn''t turn him around. I''m saying Lambert won''t sign him. Because he doesn''t want players like that around. Johnson wasn''t good for Wolves this season, how on earth have you come to the conclusion I think McCarthy is better than Lambert?

Lambert has never signed a player like Johnson, because he doesn''t want to. Not because he can''t sign them, or can''t turn them around. But because he wants players who are fundamentally (attitude wise) better than him.

Also, the two players most similar (not all that similar) to Johnson (attitude wise) here, well one of them is out on loan, and likely to leave permanently, And one of them has been way off par since January.

Don''t try and accuse me of things that are completely false.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''m not saying Lambert wouldn''t turn him around. I''m saying Lambert won''t sign him. Because he doesn''t want players like that around. Johnson wasn''t good for Wolves this season, how on earth have you come to the conclusion I think McCarthy is better than Lambert?

Lambert has never signed a player like Johnson, because he doesn''t want to. Not because he can''t sign them, or can''t turn them around. But because he wants players who are fundamentally (attitude wise) better than him.

Also, the two players most similar (not all that similar) to Johnson (attitude wise) here, well one of them is out on loan, and likely to leave permanently, And one of them has been way off par since January.

Don''t try and accuse me of things that are completely false.[/quote]

So in a roundabout-way what you''re saying is Lambo doesn''t want players like Johnson (even if they''re good enough) at the club because he can''t handle them discipline wise.Sorry, GP, that is underestimating Lambo as a football manager.

No i''m stating a bloody fact, how hard is that to understand?

HE HAS NOT SIGNED ANY PLAYERS WITH A REPUTATION LIKE JOHNSON. (Clear enough for you?)

He has specifically said he wants to sign young and hungry players. Please instead of making baseless accusations, to make yourself sound clever, actually look at the facts. Your posts stop being funny after you''ve read about two of them you know...

If you''ve read any of my posts on here, you''ll know i''m a huge Lambert fan. I''ve been accused many a time of not criticising him at all/enough.

(And no, i''m not getting angry or upset. I''m just trying to get you to understand, because so far you seem incapable of doing so...)

Don''t let him wind you up, GP, and you''re right.

Like Lambert, Alex Ferguson clearly generally signs the character as much as the player. Both might make the occasional mistake character-wise, but they tend to be pretty rare.

The opposite approach from that adopted by Mancini and Mark Hughes, but hey-ho they''ve got massive budgets so can afford a few dodgies.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]No i''m stating a bloody fact, how hard is that to understand?

HE HAS NOT SIGNED ANY PLAYERS WITH A REPUTATION LIKE JOHNSON. (Clear enough for you?)

He has specifically said he wants to sign young and hungry players. Please instead of making baseless accusations, to make yourself sound clever, actually look at the facts. Your posts stop being funny after you''ve read about two of them you know...

If you''ve read any of my posts on here, you''ll know i''m a huge Lambert fan. I''ve been accused many a time of not criticising him at all/enough.[/quote]

[img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Signing young, hungry, yet inexperienced players has served him and City well this season - up until the Leicester game anyway - since then we''ve/ they''ve been found out and next season those young players will need quality and experience among them to survive - if that entails looking at players with a little bit of bad rep then so be it - it serves other clubs and managers well enough.Believe me, GP - you should no I''m seldom wrong.

If Lambert decides to sign Johnson, then fine, i''ll be happy with that. I''m sure he can turn him around. But until he does, i''ll keep on doubting he will ever sing someone like him.

At the moment, think were more likely to re-sign the Doc and Nelson :P