Sign in to follow this  
chris bakewell

Ryan Bennet Against Gunners

Thought he was superb couple of great blocks had some stick in recent games but looks like another top buy by Lambert.

Should get better and more consistent with time.

For what its worth I think the lad is doing very well.You can''t expect him to come from Peterborough and look like Bobby Moore in his first few games.

Lets not forget he''s been alongside Ward for most of his starts,that is thrown in at the deep end.We do have our three first choice centre backs out after all,would of been a lot easier for him alongside one of those I feel..Also up against some of the best strikers in the world.

I think most of our defenders have been in the ''deep end'' this season.

Naughton and Martin have the most appearances in defence, we have had something rediculous in terms of central defensive partnerships.

Barnet and De Laet, then Barnet and Whitbread, Barnet and Ward, Ward and Whitbread, Whitbread and De Laet, Whitbread and Ayala, Ward and Ayala, Ward and Bennett, Martin and Ward, Martin and Whitbread . . . . etc.

So for me I think Bennett has done well to come into an unsettled defensive line up and do as well as he has.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Not sure about him tbh. Seems to be too slow for this level. Time will tell.[/quote]

Yeah, that''s a good point.

I was expecting him to be quicker to be honest. We''re not blessed with pace in the centre of defence and he''s no quicker than any of the others. For £3m I was hoping/expecting he''d have a bit more pace.

He doesn''t seem particularly slow to me, but he probably loses half a yard with the reactions occasionally, he''s still finding his feet at this level, and tracking the runs of premiership level strikers is yet to become second nature to him. He gets the basics right though and wins the vast majority of ariel duels.

bobby moore was not blessed with good pace but he could read a game like no other defender i have ever seen. if you are in the right place at the right time you don''t need extreme pace, and in my opinion this is an asset that bennett seems to have. give him another season in the premier and we could have a seriously good defender on our books.

I think people need to be realistic about their expectations and what 3 million will actually buy you. I think he''s been alittle up and down performance wise like all young players (just look at Phil Jones a vastly more experienced at this level and at Man U). The fact he has had some really good games at this level and hasnt looked out of his depth every game suggests there is definetely something worth pursisting with. I still would be concerned with two inconsistent but gifted young centre backs being first choice next season, in Bennett and Ayala if thats how it works out.

I think it''s important to note that Bennett''s performance against Arsenal was the only time he played centrally with Martin. I''d like to see that partnership again against Villa. I feel with some time spent together they could form a very productive partnership.  

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I think people need to be realistic about their expectations and what 3 million will actually buy you.  [/quote]

I think the thing is that he needs to be an improvement on what we''ve already got - infact, someone who looks £3m better than what we have.

No good spending £3m on him if he isn''t any better or isn''t anywhere near £3m better.

I''m not saying he isn''t going to make it but just that at the moment you couldn''t look at him and think that he''s come in and really looked the business. As you pointed out, his performances have been up and down and we''re a little way off knowing whether we''ve wisely invested £3m on an upgrade or squandered £3m on a sideways move.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I think people need to be realistic about their expectations and what 3 million will actually buy you.  [/quote]

I think the thing is that he needs to be an improvement on what we''ve already got - infact, someone who looks £3m better than what we have.

No good spending £3m on him if he isn''t any better or isn''t anywhere near £3m better.

I''m not saying he isn''t going to make it but just that at the moment you couldn''t look at him and think that he''s come in and really looked the business. As you pointed out, his performances have been up and down and we''re a little way off knowing whether we''ve wisely invested £3m on an upgrade or squandered £3m on a sideways move.

[/quote]

Big problem at the levels we operate at is I dont see many centre backs that would a guanranteed improvement (if there is such a thing in football) on the ones we have for 3 million, when you think Bolton failed with 6million bid for Middlesborough''s Rhys Williams in the transfer window and how much wolves paid  for Roger Johnson (7m) last summer. We''ve paid for potential and thats exactly what we have got, nothing more nothing less at this stage.

[quote user="Gareth"]I think it''s important to note that Bennett''s performance against Arsenal was the only time he played centrally with Martin. I''d like to see that partnership again against Villa. I feel with some time spent together they could form a very productive partnership.  [/quote]

Russell Martin at centreback is an interesting one. He''s clearly quite a good communicator and organiser - perhaps the best at the club.

However, we''ve still never been any safer with him at the back than anyone else. He has won plenty of plaudits from the fans this season for his performances there but he still doesn''t appear to be someone Lambert would look to as first choice.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Big problem at the levels we operate at is I dont see many centre backs that would a guanranteed improvement (if there is such a thing in football) on the ones we have for 3 million, when you think Bolton failed with 6million bid for Middlesborough''s Rhys Williams in the transfer window and how much wolves paid  for Roger Johnson (7m) last summer. We''ve paid for potential and thats exactly what we have got, nothing more nothing less at this stage.

[/quote]

Yup, it''s tricky. No doubt we need improving defensively but proven quality costs the money that we probably don''t have. Anything else is a bit more of a gamble.

I think the guy is class. Wins the majority of arial duels, great tackler and gets in some fantastic positions. And he''s only 22 so is only going to get better. Bennett alongside am experienced CB next season will work very well next season imo.

[quote user="Ben "]I think the guy is class. Wins the majority of arial duels, great tackler and gets in some fantastic positions. And he''s only 22 so is only going to get better. Bennett alongside am experienced CB next season will work very well next season imo.[/quote]

Agree totally. The lad is class and his clearances have saved us more times than his faulty back passes have been a problem. Lambert and Culverhouse will make him a star for us - just hope Whitbread is around too next season.

He''s shown more than enough that he''s going to be a top draw centre back & a bargain at £3m.

How many 22 year olds are playing regular at centre back in the Premier League?

Very few! He''s going to make mistakes & get caught out at times due to his inexperience but he''s been superb in a few games, notably at both Spurs & Arsenal.

He''ll have learnt a lot from the torrid time he had against Tevez & Aguero, he will have never played against players with their movement & quality before.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I would like to see Ward and Barnett against Villa.[/quote]

Haha! Good one!

Bennett is a fantastic prospect, he oozes class and will only get better. Surpised by the comments about a lack of pace, I personally think he looks pretty mobile. Lets keep in mind that it''s been a bit of a baptism of fire for the lad. Looking at the fixture list we all knew that if we weren''t safe by the end of March then we were going to be in trouble as our last 8/10 fixtures were damn tough, and due to injuries/lack of form that''s coincided with Bennett''s introduction into the team. Sure, he''s made a couple of mistakes, but he''ll be all the stronger for it next year.

I''ll stick a tenner on him leaving us in a few years time bringing in a club record transfer fee.

Two notable mistakes, countless quality last ditch blocks that have more than made up for it.

He puts his body on the line and has great positional awareness.

I think he’s a class act.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Bennett is a fantastic prospect, he oozes class and will only get better. Surpised by the comments about a lack of pace, I personally think he looks pretty mobile.

[/quote]

He doesn''t "ooze class". I mean I suppose what it depends who or what you''re comparing him to but that just strikes me like a "getting a bit carried away" comment.

He''s not amazing technically and he''s not great with the ball.

For me, oozing class would be someone who was a mix of Bennett and Ayala. Bennett looks like he''s going to be a sort of "old fashioned" centre half who will complete physically and knock the ball clear. Whereas Ayala is more comfortable with the ball at his feet, better technically and has a better idea of how to use the ball.

But players who have all of that in their locker are probably well out of our price range.

He''s obviously got a chance because Lambert wouldn''t have spent that kind of money on him if he didn''t think he could go on to be a good player for us. And as we''ve seen, a lot of fans have decided they like him from very early on which helps a lot, he''ll be able to get away with mistakes that other players might not.

He''s had the back end of this season to adjust and hopefully next season he''ll come out and play a bit part in getting us defending better than we have been.

I think its a touch unfair to say he''s just an old-fashioned centre back that will get rid of the ball long.

He doesn''t have the composure Ayala does on the ball but he''s always trying to look for the pass into midfield.

Lambert on a number of occasions actually instructs his back 4 to get the ball forward quickly to turn the opposition around & put us on the front foot.

[quote user="GJP"]

He doesn''t "ooze class". I mean I suppose what it depends who or what you''re comparing him to but that just strikes me like a "getting a bit carried away" comment.

[/quote]

Please accept my apologies. To ensure my opinion isn''t wrong in the future I''ll run everything past you first, yeah?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Please accept my apologies. To ensure my opinion isn''t wrong in the future I''ll run everything past you first, yeah?

[/quote]

Apology accepted.

And that''s fine, just send things my way and I''ll be happy to let you know where you''re going wrong.

Well I think we all agree Lambert has made two astute signings in january...Howson and Bennett. We''re just missing our best central defender (Whitbread imo) for Bennett to play alongside with. Whoever plays, let''s get behind the Boys against Villa, City is a Premier League team and looking up!!! otbc!

IMO centre back is the position where experience is most important because so much of the role depends on anticipating what a striker is going to do.  The best CB I ever saw was Franco Baresi in his mid-30s - he never had much pace (and slowed down with age!) but his ability to read the game and cut out passes was uncanny.  I think there was a year just before he retired when AC Milan conceded something like 17 goals in a 34-game Serie A season.

So it could only be a huge step up from Bennet to come from League 1 at age 22 to playing against some of the very best strikers in the world.  All in all he''s done well, which bodes very well for next season.

At the start of the season it was our CB area that gave me most concern as we had no real Prem experience and several of us wondered whether we should invest in an experienced quality CB.  Lambert made the gamble not to, and fortunately our CBs have done well enough, despite massive injury problems.  As long as we keep Whitbread then I''d be more relaxed about this area (and I fully expect Lambert to repeat his decision to invest elsewhere over the summer and rely on our existing CBs for next season).

R.Martin as put the best performances in of any City CB this season,

We have missed Tierney

And I hope we can keep Naughton -even if only on loan for another season, lets face it, hes not taking Walkers place.

Id be very happy starting next season with

Ruddy

Naughton

Tireney

Bennett

R.Martin