Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

Simon Lappin

I wonder if we''ve ever had a better ''model professional'' at the club then Simon Lappin AKA The King of Spain.

A few years ago i watched the players training at Colney in the Glen the Rodent era. Docherty shouted out of the window to Lapps to ask why he was out training at 9.00. The response from Lappin, with a smile, was that he was training with the youth team. At the time Rodent was trying to force him out of the club.

Lappin has given nothing but maximum effort and has been a great ambassador for the modern player during his time at Carrow Road. Tough game for him at the Arsenal but he stuck to the task and played a great role in our success on the day.

[quote user="james norwich"]

I wonder if we''ve ever had a better ''model professional'' at the club then Simon Lappin AKA The King of Spain.

A few years ago i watched the players training at Colney in the Glen the Rodent era. Docherty shouted out of the window to Lapps to ask why he was out training at 9.00. The response from Lappin, with a smile, was that he was training with the youth team. At the time Rodent was trying to force him out of the club.

Lappin has given nothing but maximum effort and has been a great ambassador for the modern player during his time at Carrow Road. Tough game for him at the Arsenal but he stuck to the task and played a great role in our success on the day.

[/quote]agree with all of this... I woukdnt begrudge Lappin a goal at some point.. maybe against Villa.. it would raise the roof for sure and be the least he deserves. In the games he has played this season he has looked half decent... i hope he is given a chance next season.

I always find it interesting how Lappin is regarded as a bit of a hero for refusing a move away from the club when told he was surplus and basically ''doing a Bogarde''. It''s not like he wasn''t getting paid all that time and it''s not like he could have earned more anywhere else - he would have certainly had to take a pay cut if he left Norwich.

I don''t blame the guy, he is entitled to what is ever written into his contract - but I wouldn''t call sticking around picking up handsome wages as ''noble''.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I always find it interesting how Lappin is regarded as a bit of a hero for refusing a move away from the club when told he was surplus and basically ''doing a Bogarde''. It''s not like he wasn''t getting paid all that time and it''s not like he could have earned more anywhere else - he would have certainly had to take a pay cut if he left Norwich.

I don''t blame the guy, he is entitled to what is ever written into his contract - but I wouldn''t call sticking around picking up handsome wages as ''noble''.

[/quote]

I''ve said much the same thing. Lappin gets paid very nicely to do a bit of training in the morning and then he can go off to play some golf in the afternoon. I''d much rather have that than sitting at my desk all the day.

It''s funny how he is seen as a model pro for being happy to sit in the reserves and take his money when I''m sure a different player would have been criticised for it.

Again, I don''t blame the guy for it and he probably loves it here and knows he''ll never get a better club than Norwich but perhaps in years to come he might look back and wish he''d got out and played more first team football.

I''m guessing - I don''t know - but I suspect Lappin''s problem was high wages at that time. Why? Well we signed him for a pittance about £60k or £80k (I think his contract was almost up at St Mirren) and that would have allowed a higher wage to be paid. That''s why players like to move on a "free" when their contract has expired - (Zak Whitbread, please don''t go!). If I''m right, those wages would have cramped Roeder''s budget a bit - the likes of Sibierski needed money, money.

But that wasn''t Lappin''s fault. Norwich paid what they wanted to pay. I''ve always enjoyed watching him play - he clearly loves it and wants the ball. No doubt he had to be enticed to take the risk and move so far south. And just to recap: after Roeder''s first game in charge (at home to Ipswich) we drew 2-2 and appin cleared off the line in the final minutes. He was also MoM!. Then came the away thrashing at Plymouth and for some reason unknown to him, Roeder threw his rattle out of the pram and publicly decried his players and especially Lappin who soon became his scapegoat. Lappin would have said he was a left sided midfield player who was willing to do a turn at LB - but he''s never wanted to be considered a LB. Gunn rehabilitated him - but after a superb performance (away to Birmingham??) he didn''t stick with him. He did however grant him a new contract - perhaps on "adjusted" wages - so maybe we now have an inexpensive but useful squad player. Alternatively, he''s had a taste of Prem football which no doubt has enhanced his transfer value. Only 3 starts but we''ve not lost any of those matches! Salute Paul Lambert!

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I''ve said much the same thing. Lappin gets paid very nicely to do a bit of training in the morning and then he can go off to play some golf in the afternoon. I''d much rather have that than sitting at my desk all the day.

It''s funny how he is seen as a model pro for being happy to sit in the reserves and take his money when I''m sure a different player would have been criticised for it.

Again, I don''t blame the guy for it and he probably loves it here and knows he''ll never get a better club than Norwich but perhaps in years to come he might look back and wish he''d got out and played more first team football.

[/quote]GJP and Bethnal, you are two of my favourite posters but I''m disapointed that you both appear to have such short memories.Sure, Lappin was frozen out by Roeder but we must not forget that he was only "sitting out" for two transfer windows (the second of which saw Roeder depart Norwich). Perhaps we could praise his forseight in his implied belief that Roeder would leave the club relatively quickly. Regardless, when Roeder left he was reaquiainted with first-team football rather quickly and more than that Lambert had the faith in him to play him in the remaining league one fixtures when he took over (you don''t need to guess which two league matches Lappin did not play in that season). Since then Lambert has made it clear that Lappin is part of the first-team plan at Norwich, he had plenty of playing time this season and has now played in several important matches this season. I can''t really see how he could have got "more" first team football at such a good level.For me, and I presume most other Norwich fans, Roeder was wrong with Lappin. It takes heart to turn around your career at a particular club from that low point but Lappin has done it. I for one will not forget the important contribution that he (and the other players and the coach staff) made in turning us around from rock bottom.

Simon Lappin appearances this season:

QPR away 2-1 win

West Brom away in the cup 2-1 win

Wolves at home 2-1

Arsenal away 3-3 draw.

He should start against Villa!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]Exactly!  Peter Grant put him on a very healthy contract for a player of Lappin''s limitations and he couldn''t get that kind of money anywhere else, so decided to stay and suck it up rather than go on loan/leave to show what he can do.  If about 10 appearances in 2 years is good enough for some then so be it, but I''d rather sing the praises of Adam Drury.

[quote user="james norwich"]

[/quote]Yes.  Adam Drury, obviously.  Darren Eadie would be in there too.Or did you mean "model squad player"?Or were you referring to his dashing good looks?  Oooh, ladies![img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFPMMZ9WyB869G8gmnNhwSksKFL-Bar4VjG7itHrtK1oDg7JmAuy_OKqa6MQ[/img]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]... 10 appearances in 2 years ...[/quote]Or the actual 85 in 3 years...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]
  Peter Grant put him on a very healthy contract for a player of Lappin''s limitations and he couldn''t get that kind of money anywhere else,

[/quote]

I am sitting here trying to make my mind up Mister C. if this is one of your tongue in cheek sarcastic posts because how do you know the in and outs of Lappins contract.Did you have sight of it at a private meeting you may have had with Mr.Bowkett similar to the details revealed to one of our more esteemed posters ?[:P]

Great pro who has done a good job for the club and has proved old Roedernowhere wrong which everyone knows he is!

Done OK against Arsenal considering hes not hardly played and hes not Premiership class although you could see why he has to be moved on in the summer!

Will do a good job for a Scottish Premiership team next season!

Mr Chops wrote:

"Exactly! Peter Grant put him on a very healthy contract for a player of Lappin''s limitations and he couldn''t get that kind of money anywhere else, so decided to stay and suck it up rather than go on loan/leave to show what he can do. If about 10 appearances in 2 years is good enough for some then so be it, but I''d rather sing the praises of Adam Drury."

I won''t argue you with your praise for Drury - he deserves the highest in my opinion. But you seem to have conveniently forgotten about Lappin agreeing to go out on loan to Motherwell - where he scored v Celtic. And are you certain any other club made an offer for him which was acceptable to the club?

I don''t think everything posted on here is entirely accurate. To be fair to Lappin during the 2007/08 season when Roeder decided he wasn''t up to it he went out on loan to Motherwell and got 15 games under his belt (including a winning goal against Celtic). So it wasn''t exactly as if he did a Bogarde during that time. He had clear desire to play whereas Bogarde flatly refused to go out on loan anywhere. During the pre season for 2008/9 there was actually a lot of talk about Motherwell (or other Scottish teams) making the deal permanent. The stumbling block was Roeder demanding a transfer fee for him (in region of between £70k-100k). Which was utterly bizarre given that his treatment of player seemed to imply he deemed him to be worth £0.

I accept that his wages and the fact he had just moved down here were contributory factors to him not moving but he still showed great professionalism and a desire to prove himself. So for me Roeder had no right to dish out that kind of shabby treatment particularly when he signed players like Matty Pattison who were certainly no better. They were just part of the Geordie inner sanctum at the club around that time. While being a professional footballer is a fantastic existence and a dream for us all. It still cant be a pleasant experience coming into training every day feeling absolutely worthless and probably being the butt of quite a few of Roeder''s jokes. It also raises great uncertainty about what will happen to you once you eventually do leave the club. So congratulations and well done to Lapps. He has been a good servant to the club and an intergral part of the journey. Rodent you were wrong. End of.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="james norwich"]

[/quote]

Yes.  Adam Drury, obviously.  Darren Eadie would be in there too.

Or did you mean "model squad player"?

Or were you referring to his dashing good looks?  Oooh, ladies!

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFPMMZ9WyB869G8gmnNhwSksKFL-Bar4VjG7itHrtK1oDg7JmAuy_OKqa6MQ[/img]

[/quote]

Blimey Chopsy, he''s got a chest like a split sofa. [:|]

Wouldn''t Lappins wages have been made up to the contractual level anyway if he had gone out on loan to another club during that period? Unlike Bogarde he stayed in competitive training, fought for his place and then returned to first team action doing a good job for us in the Championship and again in the Prem.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Would love him to score on Sunday and run over to the Villa bench revealing a t shirt saying "Are you watching Glenn?"[/quote][Y]