Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Holt for sale

Ok, so say, hypothetically, holt got taken to the world cup this summer (which unfortunately i don''t think is going to happen now, but perhaps a fully rested Holt will be much better for us than a tired one come August) and managed to win the golden boot, attracting interest from all over Europe, what offer would have to be made that would tempt you into selling WFLGH, if any offer at all?I think this is a fairly tough question, as our leader and catalyst in most games he really brings something to Norwich that money cannot really buy, replacing his goals may be possible but replacing his impact in the dressing room and his work-rate is going to be much harder. However, he is 31(?) and there is no guarantee he will score more than 15 next season so that brings down his price that i would accept. All in all, i think an offer of between 7-10 M would be enough to tempt me, but no less. That way we would have the cash to bring in 2/3 quality players and with Lambert''s choice of players, that should offset the cost of losing him.What do others think, just curious what sort of bid other city fans would accept for our captain?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Holt is going to be leading the line for team GB![/quote]<Much more chance with the world cup wouldn''t you say, no way would he get in one of the three over 23 slots

I''d say it was certain he isn''t going to the World cup this summer, Euros on the other hand, he has a chance :P

Holt will have a price, although we aren''t in any financial danger, we aren''t rich. If someone bid upwards of £5 million, for a 31 year old striker, I think Lambert/the board would have to really think about it. I hope he stays here until the end of his career (unless he wants a final season at his home town side), so I wouldn''t sell him for anything. But if we got a bid of £5 million plus, i''m sure Lambert would be able to find a quality striker with that.

Luckily, its unlikely to happen. But its interesting to see what people think we''d sell him for. I think even as ''low'' as £5 million (a straight £5 mil, not £3 mil with add ons) would be a tempting offer for the club.

Haha, i did that twice, very hypothetical example then!! i wonder if i would accept a straight up 5M, i agree we would find a replacement, but i just don''t think he would bring the same buzz to the team. Morro cost close to 3M and i think what Holt brings to the team is worth double that at least.GP, do you think Wilbers is on his way out this summer?

No, I think Wilbraham will follow Lambert for a long time. Would not be surprised one bit, if he becomes a coach here and stays with Lambert when he moves on.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]No, I think Wilbraham will follow Lambert for a long time. Would not be surprised one bit, if he becomes a coach here and stays with Lambert when he moves on.[/quote]

Hi GP, just wondering - what coaching credentials does Wilby possess?

Pretty similar to most 32 year old footballers I should imagine...

He''s got to start somewhere, and I think the influence he has in the dressing room gives him an advantage. Lambert signed, and especially kept him on for more than just what he can do on the pitch. And if he stays on next season, that will be even more apparent. He''s shown he''s capable in this league, in this team. But he''s never going to be a regular starter, he just doesn''t have the quality to deliver what we need.

And according to Holt and Wilbraham, they taught Ricky Lambert everything he knows, he''s not too bad is he?

As we remain in the premiership, the coaching staff will have to increase a bit. And based on what I know about Wilbraham, I think he''s the kind of guy Lambert might like to stick around. I could be way off, thats just what I think.

Every player for City is for sale, were not a big enough club to hang onto our stars and cant afford to turn down any decent offers we receive.

As for Holt, Lambert doesnt use him as much as he should, IMO, even when holt doesnt play well he lifts the players, causes the opposition problems and lifts the fans.

I think City would accept £5 Mill, but I dont think anyone in the Premier League will be offerering that

Is there a World Cup this summer? First ive heard of it!!!

[quote user="Ren"]Is there a World Cup this summer? First ive heard of it!!![/quote]

Don''t worry you haven''t missed anything, it''s not until  August.

[quote user="Ren"]Is there a World Cup this summer? First ive heard of it!!![/quote]Ha, it''s a hypothetical example, there can  be as many world cups as i want this summer! it was late, i was tired and there''s no damn edit button

£5 million? No way!! You''d have to find somebody to replace his goals, his excellent hold up play, his charisma and his influence in the dressing room, and that must cost considerably more than £5 million these days! The starting price for me is £10 million and even then I would hesitate to sell him. We need to strengthen our squad, not weaken it.

[quote user="Julius Sieze-Her"]£5 million? No way!! You''d have to find somebody to replace his goals, his excellent hold up play, his charisma and his influence in the dressing room, and that must cost considerably more than £5 million these days! The starting price for me is £10 million and even then I would hesitate to sell him. We need to strengthen our squad, not weaken it.[/quote]I didnt say I would accept that, I said I think the club would.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Julius Sieze-Her"]£5 million? No way!! You''d have to find somebody to replace his goals, his excellent hold up play, his charisma and his influence in the dressing room, and that must cost considerably more than £5 million these days! The starting price for me is £10 million and even then I would hesitate to sell him. We need to strengthen our squad, not weaken it.[/quote]

I didnt say I would accept that, I said I think the club would.
[/quote]

I hope you''re wrong then, because as I said it''s not enough.

I think Holt is without question the most important player at the club both on or off the field.

Personally I wouldnt sell him for any price even if he couldn''t walk.

If he really wanted to go I would suggest 10M+ and I am not sure we could replace him for that.

I hope he finishes his career at Norwich gradually playing less and less games and bringing through his succesor.

Given his age and what he means to us now and over the next 2 to 3 years he is invaluable and there is no price that anyone would be prepared to pay that we would even start to consider

I think it seems as if he is worth more to the club than any other team would be willing to match with a stupidly high offer for him. Like others have said, 5M would not be enough, but what team would be willing to pay that for him, i doubt anyone, perhaps if he did have a great Euro campaign you just never know though. I think the club may well sell at 5M but i would hope they didn''t.I hope Holt continues to be our talisman for a few more years yet

[quote user="priceyrice"]I think it seems as if he is worth more to the club than any other team would be willing to match with a stupidly high offer for him. Like others have said, 5M would not be enough, but what team would be willing to pay that for him, i doubt anyone, perhaps if he did have a great Euro campaign you just never know though. I think the club may well sell at 5M but i would hope they didn''t.I hope Holt continues to be our talisman for a few more years yet[/quote]

I completely agree... he''s worth more to Norwich than he''ll ever be to any other club.

No club will pay £7m+ for a 30+ year old striker who''d been doing the rounds in the lower divisions for most of his career. And thank heavens!

Without Holt in the team, we lack the direction on the pitch that Lambert asserts of it.

He typifies the club at the moment, and I hope that he continues to do that for the next few seasons.

If Holty was 5 or 6 years younger we''d be in with a scrap to keep him, bigger clubs would be offering £7-8 million upwards, we are fortunate he is a bit older, though I still think he''s in his prime of course.

I guess I''m the only one that thinks if another side came in offering 5 million plus, that we should bite their arm off.Great player, great attitude and very much a talisman for us - but this is arguably starting to become a weakness.We are supposed to have a focus on ''team'' performance, but then rely heavily on Holty to provide the goods for us and moan like hell when he''s not playing.I suppose it sort of goes back to the whole argument about a single player not being bigger than the team, and whilst I have no illusions that Holty thinks like this, some fans clearly do, and they are putting a 31 year old striker on some unreachable pedestal where he''s irreplaceable - which is well over the top if you ask me.I don''t for a minute want us to actually sell Holt, but if a sensible offer came in, we''d arguably be silly to turn it down out of hand, especially when we have a manager with an eye for talent and willingness to change tactics and formations which could be needed if a sale was made.To put this into further perspective, if Morison had maintained his early form, he''d probably have outscored Holty this season, only a drop in form/confidence (along with less full games) has really prevented this, which should be a stark reminder that despite Holt''s quality, he''s certainly not untouchable, nor is he irreplaceable...

Yes you are very much on your own here. I cannot imagine a price where it would be in the clubs interests to sell Holt.

Who would you suggest we get to replace him, for 10 Million ?? Nobody that would be a certainty.

"To put this into further perspective, if Morison had maintained his early form, he''d probably have outscored Holty this season"

I''m not one of the Boo boys but get serious, at what point this season did Morison look better than Holt.

Yes it is about team performance and when the other players step up we can give Holty a rest.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I guess I''m the only one that thinks if another side came in offering 5 million plus, that we should bite their arm off.Great player, great attitude and very much a talisman for us - but this is arguably starting to become a weakness.We are supposed to have a focus on ''team'' performance, but then rely heavily on Holty to provide the goods for us and moan like hell when he''s not playing.I suppose it sort of goes back to the whole argument about a single player not being bigger than the team, and whilst I have no illusions that Holty thinks like this, some fans clearly do, and they are putting a 31 year old striker on some unreachable pedestal where he''s irreplaceable - which is well over the top if you ask me.I don''t for a minute want us to actually sell Holt, but if a sensible offer came in, we''d arguably be silly to turn it down out of hand, especially when we have a manager with an eye for talent and willingness to change tactics and formations which could be needed if a sale was made.To put this into further perspective, if Morison had maintained his early form, he''d probably have outscored Holty this season, only a drop in form/confidence (along with less full games) has really prevented this, which should be a stark reminder that despite Holt''s quality, he''s certainly not untouchable, nor is he irreplaceable...[/quote]I think your argument is quite reasonable Indy, not sure i would agree though. I agree that much of our success has been built around a great team ethic and no individual stars and while some of our fans may hold Holt in higher regard than the other players this does not disrupt the team set up. We do look better with Holt in the starting 11 i would say, he seems to rally the troops and his work-rate spills over to the rest of the players and that''s what makes him invaluable to us. However, i don''t think that makes us a one man team, we did look good earlier in the season playing the one up top in Morro, i don''t think Morro was ever going to match Holt for goals though, most of Morisons goals have come from headers (he doesn''t seem as good with his feet as Holt and won''t work so hard to make chances) and as the season has gone on other teams have got wise to this and have prevented us getting as many crosses into the box, i also think Lambert looked to change our strategy, playing a shorter game and not necessarily looking to get the ball wide to whip a cross in for Holt or Morro, which has not helped Morison.

He''s better than Andy Carroll, so let''s say £36 million.We can then buy Andy Carroll for £25 million and spend the rest on Thomas Vermaelen.

The value of Holty isn''t just his performances and goals. It goes deeper. Lambert gets all the credit for our rapid rise over the last 3 seasons but what nobody can say is how much of that credit belongs with Holt. I''m sure Lambert knows the answer.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]For Some Reason People in Yorkshire seem to Think Holt is replaceable. Strange[/quote]That''s the 2nd time this week someone has used my location as some sort of bizarre stick to try to beat me with, guess Yorkshire is on some peoples'' s**t list for no apparent reason...

Seriously guys, we need a minor reality check here, for the sort of money people are saying we should turn down for Holt (assuming such an offer was made), apparently we can''t get anyone of similar or better quality for the same or less money - I''d argue we could even if some players are still developing:Javier Hernandez 6 milNikica Jelavic 6 milShane Long 4.5 milBobby Zamora 4 milDjibril Cisse 4 milDanny Graham 3.5 milPark Chu-Young 3 milCraig Bellamy FreeDemba Ba FreeBellamy, Zamora and Cisse are of a similar age to Holt so we wouldn''t gain anything from that perspective, but they''ve all performed well at the top level, in most cases consistently well and they don''t command 5 mil + fees...The other players have a minimum of 5 years youth over Holty, and certainly players like Hernandez and Ba are easily good enough for virtually any side in the league.This isn''t even mentioning potential young strikers from outside the top flight such as Rodriguez, Rhodes or Evans (before his jail sentence) who could potentially step up and perform.Holt does offer more to the team than goals, but that still doesn''t make him irreplaceable- players like Messi are irreplaceable...

He''s worth more in terms of sentimental value than money to us purely because of what he''s taken us through these past few years. His influence and determination is more than money can buy, so no deal.