Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Raiding the relegated . . .

I was looking at the fact we now know Blackburn and Wolves are relegated and was thinking how they have several players that are actually rather good and should not be getting relegated with any team.

Blackburn has: Yakubu, Hoilett, Pedersen and Robinson as players you could see playing much further up the table, I think Pedersen was linked with Man Utd once.

Wolves have: Stearman (better than Johnson for me), Fletcher, Doyle, Jarvis and Kightly.

Realistically out of those who would improve our team and who would we be able to get? I''d like to think we could get a few of those. I''m not sure on Yakubu but you can''t argue with his goalscoring abilities. Pederson is getting on a bit but is quality on the ball and could perhaps play the Hoolahan role with a bit more strength? We don''t need Robinson and Hoilett is class but will most likely go to a club like Arsenal or Liverpool.

I think Stearman could be worth a punt, Fletcher is a good goalscorer, Jarvis and Kightly are brilliant wide men. Jarvis may be able to play in the Hoolahan role too.

There are certainly rich pickings in those two teams.

I doubt if any of those come under the headings of young and hungry.Hoilett will go to a bigger fish and word is that Jarvis will go to Stoke. The rest are no better than what we have.

"young and hungry" needs a couple of older heads to nurture them through.Yakubu and Givet..sod anyone else.

I''d consider these below,

Kevin Doyle - still has the potential to shine under the right manager, Lambert is that man.

Wayne Hennessey - Good competition for Ruddy

Stephen Ward - Need a new left back, this guy is reliable and can play almost anywhere.

Stephen Nzonzi - Strong defensive Midfielder, somthing we''ve been lacking.

It would be naive to dismiss 50+ players (Blackburn and Wolves) JUST because they have been relegated.  Plenty of good players have been part of relegated teams/squads over the years!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Plenty of good players have been part of relegated teams/squads over the years!

[/quote]indeed.. Dean Ashton, Darren Huckerby, Rob Earnshaw.. even Adam Drury!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Plenty of good players have been part of relegated teams/squads over the years!

[/quote]indeed.. Dean Ashton, Darren Huckerby, Rob Earnshaw.. even Adam Drury![/quote]Hoolahoop!

There are one or two players that would be ok, but I would rather be looking first  at players that miss out in the Championship playoffs tbh. Just that (nearly!!) winning mentality thing

Surely we''d be mental to touch a Wolves Defender with a barge pole?

Lots of talk about Roger Johnson and Scott Dann, who were great together but awful this season if you ask me.

I''d have Yakubu, but lets face it, not gonna happen (I could see him going to Russia or Spurs), again, I''d take. Hoilett will go somewhere big (deservedly so).

I''d like to see us nick Goodwillie from Blackburn, promising young striker with bags of pace, but I think he''ll just become their first choice in the Championship (and do extremely well).

In terms of Wolves, Matt Jarvis is the only one I''d really look at, but he''s probably out of our price range. Kevin Doyle, sure, but he''s hardly prolific even if he is used to a scrap.

Anyone else remember Yakubu at Leicester last season? Can''t see Lambert forgetting. I reckon he''s the last player we would want from any of the relegated sides.

Surely the old chestnut about needing "players with Premier League experience" has been firmly put to bed this season. Raiding relegated clubs for their best players hasn''t been PL''s method so far, and I can''t see any need to change that this summer. Who needs a load of old has-beens with losing mentalities, when you can just as easily (and cheaply) get young and hungry players?

Don''t forget Jamie o''Hara from Wolves is decent but I wouldn''t touch him with a barge pole due to his annoying wag.

Steven Fletcher would be my pick, still quite young so hopefully Lambert could get the hunger from him. Great goal scoring record in this league and could form a decent partnership with Holt.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

I''d consider these below,

Kevin Doyle - still has the potential to shine under the right manager, Lambert is that man.

Wayne Hennessey - Good competition for Ruddy

Stephen Ward - Need a new left back, this guy is reliable and can play almost anywhere.

Stephen Nzonzi - Strong defensive Midfielder, somthing we''ve been lacking.

[/quote]
Stephen Ward is a great utility player, I''d be happy to have him at Norwich. LM, LB, ST, CM. He can play anywhere and never disgrace himself.
I''d also love, love , love N''zonzi. If we had a chance of getting him he''d be second on my list (behind Naughton) however I feel as if they''ll be a lot of competition for him, I think he''d fit in really well at Stoke or just about anywhere someone wants a good defensive midfielder.

[quote user="chicken"]

I was looking at the fact we now know Blackburn and Wolves are relegated and was thinking how they have several players that are actually rather good and should not be getting relegated with any team.

Blackburn has: Yakubu, Hoilett, Pedersen and Robinson as players you could see playing much further up the table, I think Pedersen was linked with Man Utd once.

Wolves have: Stearman (better than Johnson for me), Fletcher, Doyle, Jarvis and Kightly.

Realistically out of those who would improve our team and who would we be able to get? I''d like to think we could get a few of those. I''m not sure on Yakubu but you can''t argue with his goalscoring abilities. Pederson is getting on a bit but is quality on the ball and could perhaps play the Hoolahan role with a bit more strength? We don''t need Robinson and Hoilett is class but will most likely go to a club like Arsenal or Liverpool.

I think Stearman could be worth a punt, Fletcher is a good goalscorer, Jarvis and Kightly are brilliant wide men. Jarvis may be able to play in the Hoolahan role too.

There are certainly rich pickings in those two teams.

[/quote]

Able to play at right-back or centre-back, I believe. And only in his mid-20s. There is no guarantee we will have Naughton back next season. Even if we do I get the feeling some posters here have decided Russell Martin is better suited to centre-back than right back. In which case we need another right-back.

[quote user="Power Hamster"]Surely the old chestnut about needing "players with Premier League experience" has been firmly put to bed this season. Raiding relegated clubs for their best players hasn''t been PL''s method so far, and I can''t see any need to change that this summer. Who needs a load of old has-beens with losing mentalities, when you can just as easily (and cheaply) get young and hungry players?
[/quote]

Thank you, you have highlighted perfectly the mentality I was talking about!

To blindly follow a policy of just recruiting young and hungry players has it''s limitations too and will only get you so far, which Lambert himself has hinted at in some of his recent musings.

We are of course in the fortunate position of having a good number of "Young and hungry" type players who now also have that vaunted "Premier League experience"....

[quote user="ricardo"]I doubt if any of those come under the headings of young and hungry.Hoilett will go to a bigger fish and word is that Jarvis will go to Stoke. The rest are no better than what we have.[/quote]

We have our quota of ''young & hungry'', ricardo - I feel the former need two or three Premier League experienced players among ''em.The Blackburn & Wolves players I''d consider good acquisitions are one of  Radosav Petrović or N''Zonzi and Wolves'' Johnson & Fletcher.Bolton look the third side likeliest to make the drop and playing staff I''d consider from them would be Sean Davis, Zat Knight & Wheater, ''though the latter has received yet another cruciate injury rendering him a risky signing.

I''d have Matt Jarvis and that would be the only one that would fit into our current squad. No-one from Blackburn though and no-one from Wolves.They got relegated for a reason.

[quote user="TheRock"] No-one from Blackburn though and no-one from Wolves.They got relegated for a reason.[/quote]Ditto QPR(Not that any of them would be likely to take the massive wage cut neccesary for them to get back to playing Prem football anyway LOL!!)

Wheater, Johnson and Knight are not good enough in my opinion. However I did notice that Carlos Cuellar is out of contract this summer and would love him to sign for Norwich. He hasn''t played much this season admittedly but I believe he would be a more experienced center back which would help Ayala and Bennett to fully reach their potential. What do you think?

Wheater, Johnson and Knight are not good enough in my opinion. However I did notice that Carlos Cuellar is out of contract this summer and would love him to sign for Norwich. He hasn''t played much this season admittedly but I believe he would be a more experienced center back which would help Ayala and Bennett to fully reach their potential. What do you think?

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="ricardo"]I doubt if any of those come under the headings of young and hungry.Hoilett will go to a bigger fish and word is that Jarvis will go to Stoke. The rest are no better than what we have.[/quote]

We have our quota of ''young & hungry'', ricardo - I feel the former need two or three Premier League experienced players among ''em.The Blackburn & Wolves players I''d consider good acquisitions are one of  Radosav Petrović or N''Zonzi and Wolves'' Johnson & Fletcher.Bolton look the third side likeliest to make the drop and playing staff I''d consider from them would be Sean Davis, Zat Knight & Wheater, ''though the latter has received yet another cruciate injury rendering him a risky signing.[/quote]

According to the following article we have shown an interest in Roger Johnson : [url]http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/05/17/roger-johnson-heads-for-wolves-exit/[/url]Mind you - currently on forty grand per week [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img] Can''t be right.

As I have said Stuart Holden and Paul Robinson would be the only players I would look at.Paul Robinson, for that cover, but would he be playing somewhere else first team football? I would imagine that to be the case.If Stuart Holden is back to fitness he is a superb central midfielder, young, vocal and tenacious... most talked about midfielder in the league before his injury. A leader and one that can hold his own.Like I said I love it, Summer trasfer window best ime of the year. Dream of certain players joining, no worries of a bad performance at the weekend costing us, injuries. I feel totally relaxed until the schedule comes out when we can begin to target games adn see if we can get a good start. Those first 6-8 games are vital for the teams who will be nearer the bottom.