Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Too little, too late for the bravado Worthy

Worthy has found some steely determination from somewhere, suddenly dropping people and trying to instil an uncompromising approach.

I may have applauded this attitude if it happened a little earlier in the season perhaps August.  However getting tough now just looks silly after all we have had to hear after each abject failure.  Are you just trying to sound tough to keep a job?, have you noticed how lately Kezman at Chelsea has been issuing rallying cries and defending Mourinho, wouldn''t be necessary if you weren''t such c**p earlier in the season, goodbye Matey.

Getting back to Worthy, it took far too long to recognise the potential of Shackell, Flemo still plays on Saturday.  Docherty and Charlton must be well fed up, what for them next season, we shall need them for next years battles.

We can still do it !, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but we have absolutely no chance of staying up, despite what messrs Worthy and Dowie spout, we were doomed a long time ago.  Post Xmas down with the decorations which has long been the City way has returned after a briefg sojourn in 2004.

Worthy in or out ? I don''t know but he is certainly looking desperate now, too late for the change of heart.

Hoping we can buck the trend of recent demotees of the Premiership and come back stronger and WISER eh Worthy. 

I think your last sentence is exactly right Peter.  At the moment I think a lot of fans are suffering from 20/20 hindsight.  It''s well and good looking back and saying "Worthy should''ve done this, Worthy should have done that" but how do we know it would''ve worked?  At the end of the day we don''t have the pressure of making those decisions; Worthy does.  He''s probably got some wrong and some right.  The guy has learned this season and learned the hard way.  However, it''ll make him a better manager for it

[quote]Worthy has found some steely determination from somewhere, suddenly dropping people and trying to instil an uncompromising approach. I may have applauded this attitude if it happened a little earlier...[/quote]

As you so rightly say Peter, too little and far too late!.

Posters have long recognised the problems and solutions with the City line up, for bloody months now.

Why a bloke, who''s paid damn good money by the club to manage the team, couldn''t spot it earlier than the posters did, is quite beyond me I''m afraid.

IMHO, The Board must take their share of the blame in all this, for surely they were thinking on the same lines as us supporters. 

I can only suggest that if not, then God help us!.  

Whilst I hope you are right and Worthy has finally learnt his lesson you still have to question why it has taken him so long to sort out flaws that just about every supporter has been able to see for 3 months now.

The quotes and attitude we are seeing off Worthy this week should have been what we were seeing right from the start of the season. I have no doubt we will probably pick up 2 or 3 wins over the next few weeks with the right players playing and some lesser opposition but i''m afraid he has left it too late!

With 7 games to go and riding high in the fair play league, although it doesn''t amount to a hill of beans, to jeopardise a potential round or two of money spinning, so you can impress Worthy at the eleventh hour by getting stuck in and getting booked or sent off (I am looking at you Yussef), maybe a price not worth paying.  There seems little point to it at this late hour.

Perhaps Europe may be seen as a distraction too far.

I am not advocating Euro football but it would make economic sense, Worthington Cup (ironic name that) !st round exit is never particularly lucrative is it? 

[quote]Wow, a thread criticising the manager... that''s original[/quote]

Oh no! Someone expressed an opinion related Norwich City on the "Norwich City - Have Your Say" forum, time to complain! If you''ve had enough of these topics, DON''T READ THEM!

Back to the topic...
Trying to get the best out of a small team is going to take some trial and improvement. Worty hasn''t done enough of the trials and only improves when the players who not up to the job are injured.
Is it possible this sudden inclusion of Safri and Helveg is because he sees this as a game we can''t win? He could blame a heavy defeat on their performances and pick an "I told you so" squad with the regular players back in the squad.

Then Beds - who should we criticise for being rockstone bottom and playing like pansies? Maybe.......let''s see now.........Helveg, Saffri, Bentley and.........?

Or should we jusy lie down like grateful country cousins on our way bact to our rightful place.

Many of us are used to better.......and expect much, much better of City.

OTBC

31 games before he realises that you have to put in players who can compete.  Worthy has been paid a good wage to manage this club, and sadly like his club captain, he has under performed this season.

jesus! at least 50% of your ''argument'' is completely flawed. i would have thought the reason behind the timing of ''this sudden inclusion of Helveg'' is quite blindingly obvious, it''s because he''s finally fit again!!! safri hasn''t been fit for that long either...

I believe that we have badly missed a Leader on the Pitch - a real Captain who can organise the Team, and make key decisions.   Drury and Fleming do not have those qualities, and Green, whilst a good keeper, does not Shout instructions at his defence as a result we defend too deeply.   I am particularly disappointed both for and with Fleming this season - he lacks the Presence & Stature of a good solid defender at this level and is fortunate to have played all our matches. I would love to see Shackell and Doherty as a partnership - worth a try. But we''ll probably have to wait for next season to test that combination - not Worthy''s style to make radical changes.

This is the difference between managing from the stands, and actually being the manager. We can all rant and rave about Holt/Flem/Eddy not playing well enough to stay in the team. But Worthy has to deal with the real world in which for the past couple of months he hasn''t had any one else to play.

This is why the whole "playing his favourites" thing doesn''t wash with me. Who else could he have played who would have improved us? Mullers has been terrible so you couldn''t drop Holt for him. I guess Stuart could have played there, but Jonson''s not done that well either (who would have gone on the right). I don''t think there is much to chose between Flem, Doc and Charlie, so at least sticking with the same partner for Shack helps him. With Helveg injured we had no one else to play right back other than Eddy.