Sign in to follow this  
RvWs 4 year contract

Of all of the 'Lambert years'...

I enjoyed league one a lot, but have asked myself "why" on occasion.Yeah, great fans, lovely quaint grounds (really enjoyed Scunthorpe) but I wonder if the real, deeply buried reason is that it was being a massive fish in the pond, in essence being the Man Utd of the division.We weren''t just another football team, it was a big occasion when Norwich City visited.Very enjoyable, whatever the reason.

[quote user="morty"]I enjoyed league one a lot, but have asked myself "why" on occasion.

Yeah, great fans, lovely quaint grounds (really enjoyed Scunthorpe) but I wonder if the real, deeply buried reason is that it was being a massive fish in the pond, in essence being the Man Utd of the division.

We weren''t just another football team, it was a big occasion when Norwich City visited.

Very enjoyable, whatever the reason.
[/quote]......we played scunny in the championship last season, not div 1, nearest league ground to my house.

The Championship season for all those late goals, that night at Pompey and thrashing the scum 9-2!

Scunny nearest ground to me aswell 2 miles! I loved league one far more than this division and the championship. Loved having more fans at Leyton orient than them even though we lost. Loved hartlepool away, pint on the marina . And will never forget standing in the same place at charlton where a year before I witnessed us go down to then a year later see micky nelson nod in the goal that took us up. That is why I love football for days like Charlton away.

As much as it is of course always good to see Norwich winning football matches, I just wanted League One to end as quickly as possible and to just get out of there. I just try to block out of my mind that we were ever there at all. The general quality of the division I felt was actually surprisingly poor. I think we won about 11 consecutive home matches at one stage where the standard of the opposition was frankly pathetic.

Last season on other hand was pretty special in many ways. Even though we''re in the Premiership, sometimes I still can''t quite believe that we acheived what we did last season. Apart from the obvious hammerings of the blue filfth, the away form across the whole of the season was the best part for me.....to have a manager that would actually go away from home and attack and go for the win was something we havent seen for many a year at Championship level, whilst that night at Fratton Park is something that will live with me forever, as will those scenes after Jackson''s 3rd vs Derby!!

Well I reckon the best is yet to come, and I''m going to say 2012-13 is the season when we''ll pick up some silverware and really shake up the footballing elite.  There''s a lot about this current side that reminds me of the heroes of ''59, and to a lesser extent the heroes of ''60, ''61, ''62, ''63, ''64, ''65, ''66, ''67 and ''68.

Has to be Portsmouth away for me.... if I could live 1 day again I would pick that day! Euphoria sums it up nicely. Even being in the pub opposite the group watching Cardiff lose was something special but watching Jackson header it home was something else.... I have video footage I took on my camera for about a minute or 2 before the final whislte and into the minute or two after that whistle and it is something that I wouldnt sell for the world. Running on the pitch, hugging Hoolahan... the whole day bloody awesome! Their fans were also by far the nicest I have met and were stopping us before the game wishing us to win. Loved it... as u can tell im reliving the moment!!

League One, because the teams weren''t just in London, Birmingham or the North West a la Premiership. Championship was a little better but League One had a lot more South-West away games to offer.

Oh and being a massive club in comparison to others was nice.

League one was good, but championship was rocking! Not good enough to catch QPR at the time, but despite a slow start we came into our own and surprised a lot of people! As mentioned before, the late, late goals, especially Jackson''s against Derby really goes to show how awesome we were that season!

I''ve barely been able to get to any games the last few years - in fact I''ve been to more away games than home - but I reckon the Championship was by far the most enjoyable from a radio-viewer''s perspective.  The commentary on that late Derby goal has already gone down in legend, and my own reaction - jumping around my living room like a nutter, with kids looking on bemused - will stay with me forever.

Then there''s the game at Portsmouth, of course. Sitting in the pub, laughing as Cardiff slumped woefully to Boro, then Jackson''s goal and the final whistle.  My glasses fell off in the melee at the final whistle, falling to the ground amidst a sea of jumping, dancing madness... and they survived, completely intact and unhurt. That day was truely magical...

Given that almost everyone who has replied has had more fun in either L1 or the Champ, it does beg the question, would those people prefer us to yo yo between the 3 leagues (Prem for a bit of money and L1 and Champ for enjoyment). Sounds a bit bizarre. For me, this season wins hands down: effective and efficient football and competing with the best in the land.

Living overseas it has to be this season as all the games are on TV rather than having to try and find streams

Hate the fact that now we are in the Premier League, all those who have missed the last 5-6 season now fully on the band wagon are snapping up the away seats, i wonder how many away fans this season went to most in league 1

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

Hate the fact that now we are in the Premier League, all those who have missed the last 5-6 season now fully on the band wagon are snapping up the away seats, i wonder how many away fans this season went to most in league 1

[/quote]Its actually rare that they have all been "snapped up", me and my kids have always got tickets we applied for.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]Its actually rare that they have all been "snapped up", me and my kids have always got tickets we applied for.[/quote]Me too Morty.The most popular away trip was Old Trafford and is the only one so far that has gone to ballot in group 3. Spurs went to ballot in group 3 as well I think.Chelsea went to general sale and so did Liverpool. Obviously it depends which group people are in but in my experience season ticket holders have got away tickets for the vast majority of away games.