Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Player of the Season voting open

I think all the players have been tremendous this season considering there was very little Premiership experience in the squad. In the end I''ve voted for Zak. He has been immense since returning from injury and I think City look a much better team when he plays. Just hope PL sorts out a contract for him to stay.

I have been very impressed with Pilkington a real touch of quality in him and a budding star - but he does not make my top 3, and nor does holt, who also makes my to 5. The reason these two dont currently is that we have played well with them in and out of the team (Bennett, Jackson, Moro have all filled their shoes admirably so they are not missed) , and both have had periods and games where they have been less influential - not to say that they have not had great seasons - just think my top three have been better.

In third I have Naughton - consistent, committed, strong & versatile, gets on with the job whichever flank he startes on, and we defend better with him than with out. That consistency and the clear benefit of him in the side securs 3rd for me.

Second - David Fox -simply put we are a superior side with him than without, and as with naughton the replacements simply do not perform to the same level.If he was not rested so often I would have him POTS

But yes - Ruddy is currently a deserved POTS for me; he has grown in stature, big presence and now owning the defence. Stunning saves and precious few blips me his consistency/dependability across the whole season - and none of the outfield players have given us in almost every game since the first match.

Jimmy Smith said:

"Ruddy has come on leaps and bounds again, but are we really going to give it to a keeper who only has 2 clean sheets this year?"

I am with you that I would of liked to of had more than 2 clean sheets at this stage of the season but is the fact that we''ve only had 2 all Ruddy''s fault?

If Ward had of tackled Etherington away to Stoke we could of had a third. If we hadn''t of given away so many pens (some admittedly through bad decisions) we could of had more. You have to look at these things in more detail I think. People are proclaiming Holt as the architect of the point away at Liverpool but we could of easily been 2 or 3 down at half time if Ruddy hadn''t of had such a good performance. People say scoring goals is the hardest thing in the game and yet Ruddy has stopped some top quality players this season and the only games he''s missed this season have been because he made one rash decision (against Chelsea) and because he was rested for the FA Cup.

For me I judge the POTS over the whole season and I am not sure Holt has played enough of it to claim my vote. There''s still a month to go yet though....

Davo

As many have mentioned many players could be considered, Johnson and De Laet early on, were setting the bar, but both have fallen off.Personally I think Ruddy, Naughton and Holt stand tallest - Morison in 4th.I cannot name a midfielder who has been integral, although Mr Howson looks a total menace and Pilky has had a great first season. But consistency has to be rewarded.3rd Ruddy - Has been very assured. We have had many different defensive groups and certainly our goals against coloumn will need to improve next year. However I do not feel this has been a reflection on a keeper who has commanded his box very well, some of his saves have been world class and certainly his ability to get crosses has improved.2nd Holt - Could well be in the England squad if he continues to score some goals against the bigger teams this April and May. He has been the talisman and probably the one player that has stood out from our squad and is recognised as our star man, great goals and great presence. I also think he will have a great 2012/13 and that is something to look forward to as often some clever players can be double marked etc, but centre halves are gonig to continue to have a tustle.1st Naughton - Probably because I expect Holt to win, but Naughton has been exceptional. Played across the back four but made it very hard to think of our right back position without him there. If we were to bring in Gunter or another right back they will have huge boots to fill. He picked up a relationship with EB on our right flank almost immediately, and since then has put on a show on how to play right back. He is a modern full back and has a very exciting future ahead of him. I hope it can be at NCFC.

I''m just asking out of genuine interest but do all the people that are shouting out for Holt go to the games or are they just purely looking at the results the next day?

I love Holt to bits but he''s not been our POTS. When he''s not in the team (like Fulham on Saturday) we still have players who can come in and do a job but without Ruddy and Fox we drop considerably as a team.

For every goal that Holt has scored, Ruddy has made a match-winning save, if not more. Added to that that Holt was a real hero at the start of the season anyway but there were an awful lot of question marks over Ruddy''s ability to step up to the Prem - myself included. It really has to be Ruddy all day long for me.

i would love holt to complete his hatrick (pun  intended ) but in reality it has to be ruddy. surprised at how few posters have mentioned pilks, a while ago he was a serious contender but gone off the boil a little bit lately,but maybe injury has a bit to do with that.

I have to say I find it hard to believe it hard to believe anyone who says they don''t think we miss Grant Holt when he''s not in the team.

I''m not a Moro basher but at the same time, while he had had a decent patch earlier on in the season, as the season has gone on I think we''ve seen that he doesn''t bring quite as much to the table as Holt. It''s not just the football side of it either, there''s no doubt that Holt lifts spirits in a way that Morison doesn''t or can''t.

Holt has scored 12 Premier League goals in 29 apps (18 starts). Moro and Jacko have scored 10 league goals between them in a combined 45 apps (20 starts for Moro). I think it''s pretty obvious that from a goalscoring point of view (if nothing else) Holt would certainly be a bigger loss to the club.

I''d also find it staggering that anyone could fail to include Holt in their top 3. However, I suspect some might have set their stall out a bit too early in the season by either writing off Holt or backing Morison as a better option and now don''t want to admit they might to have got it a little wrong.

[quote user="GJP"]

I have to say I find it hard to believe it hard to believe anyone who says they don''t think we miss Grant Holt when he''s not in the team.

I''m not a Moro basher but at the same time, while he had had a decent patch earlier on in the season, as the season has gone on I think we''ve seen that he doesn''t bring quite as much to the table as Holt. It''s not just the football side of it either, there''s no doubt that Holt lifts spirits in a way that Morison doesn''t or can''t.

Holt has scored 12 Premier League goals in 29 apps (18 starts). Moro and Jacko have scored 10 league goals between them in a combined 45 apps (20 starts for Moro). I think it''s pretty obvious that from a goalscoring point of view (if nothing else) Holt would certainly be a bigger loss to the club.

I''d also find it staggering that anyone could fail to include Holt in their top 3. However, I suspect some might have set their stall out a bit too early in the season by either writing off Holt or backing Morison as a better option and now don''t want to admit they might to have got it a little wrong.

[/quote]

I do completely agree with you GJP; I would put Holt in my top three of the season but I just think the gulf in class between Ruddy and Rudd/Steer and the creative influence between Fox and any other midfielder we currently have (yes, even Wes) is bigger than the difference between Holt and Morison, Jackson and Wheeliebin.

Just my personal opinion

1:Holt

2: Ruddy

3: Naughton

Think Zak would be close to getting it if injuries hadnt have stop-started his season, same goes for tierney. Although ive voted for holt think ruddy,naughton,fox,martin & pilks are in for a good shout at winning or top 3.

1. Ruddy - Normally I don''t agree with giving POTS to a goalie but this guy has proved me wrong! Yes we might not have as many clean sheets as we might have wanted but countless times Ruddy has kept us in the game and even kept us from losing. He has improved massively since signing for us and I honestly believe no one deserves it more than him. 2. & 3. From either Fox, Naughton or Whitbred. - I think all 3 of these players earn their place as top players for us this season. With Fox you realise when he doesn''t play just how much his presence is missed and he''s got a good kick on him for free kicks and corners. Top signing and a bit of an unsung hero. Naughton, has come in and played brilliantly, I really hope we manage to sign him. He''s been solid and a role model for our defence. Whitbred, just for his epic recovery from injury, it has been inspiring and alongside Naughton he forms part of a very solid defence.