Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Players Contracts

Am I missing something here, because I''ve always believed that a player coming to the end of his contract is in a very strong position, he can re-sign for the club or join another club that does not have to pay a transfer fee so can negotiate higher wages. If this is the case why have we got so many of our player coming to the end of their contracts ? 

Either -a) they have not accepted what we have offeredb) we have not offered anythingno one can make a player sign a contract, nor can a club be made to offer a contractThe why''s and where fors are not for us mere mortals to know

[quote user="City1st"]Either -a) they have not accepted what we have offeredb) we have not offered anythingno one can make a player sign a contract, nor can a club be made to offer a contractThe why''s and where fors are not for us mere mortals to know[/quote]or...c) Some of them have actually already signed a new contract, but Lambert doesn''t want to announce anything yet - probably until we''re "safe" (in his eyes only).I remember something similar happening last year with Wes. He''d signed ages before it was announced, but Lambert wanted to wait to announce it when he thought it was right to.

From this piece from Fox in the mirror, it would seem as if none of them have been offered a new contract.Fox states that he thinks the reason for that is to keep competition high, with players earning a new contract, while also avoiding the problem of shelling out on huge wages and then getting relegated. Fox seems to understand the financial problems we have had before and says that no-one at the club wants to risk that happening again.Now whether certain players have (zak perhaps) and been told to keep quiet to keep the squad harmony up, who knows, but i think it is much more likely Lambert hasn''t offered any yet so that players keep fighting to earn a new contract while also not disrupting the squad harmony by basically telling certain players they will not be kept on next seasonhttp://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Norwich-David-Fox-in-dark-over-new-contract-boss-Paul-Lambert-has-made-decisions-but-will-not-tell-players-article883438.html

I would not be at all surprised if there are conditional contracts in place, based on mathematical Premier League safety (not the assumed 40 points mark).  Once this is met in a couple of weeks time, we''ll start to hear about them.I’ve also heard that Sunderland want Zac and are prepared to double his wages, but it’s only a rumour from someone who sits near me in the ground and have no idea of his source.

It wouldn''t be a big surprise for Zak to be wanted by other sides, as IMO he has been our best defender by some way. That said, defence is the main area that needs a bit of work, so presumably Lambo has it in hand....and from what we''ve heard the players do seem to have bought in to what is going on.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]
I’ve also heard that Sunderland want Zac and are prepared to double his wages, but it’s only a rumour from someone who sits near me in the ground and have no idea of his source.

[/quote]

It''s done the rounds a bit. Been in one or two of the red tops, I think.

A few annoying things here for me.Not knowing whats going on for one, and secondly, I think the club is playing a dangerous game here if they are keeping good players waiting, I know, technically, no one can officially approach players until the summer, but the longer they are in this position, the more it gives other clubs and their own agent ideas.I hope at least something verbal is in place.

[quote user="morty"]A few annoying things here for me.

Not knowing whats going on for one, and secondly, I think the club is playing a dangerous game here if they are keeping good players waiting, I know, technically, no one can officially approach players until the summer, but the longer they are in this position, the more it gives other clubs and their own agent ideas.

I hope at least something verbal is in place.
[/quote]

can they not?  i thought they were free to talk to other clubs 6 months before the end of their contract.

I think some of you are missing the point, there''s definitely a strong bond in the squad between Lambert and the players. I''m sure the players aren''t worried, and the club have simply decided to wait until we are safe before negotiating new deals.

Don''t panic, we have the messiah in charge!

[quote user="mastoola"]

[quote user="morty"]A few annoying things here for me.Not knowing whats going on for one, and secondly, I think the club is playing a dangerous game here if they are keeping good players waiting, I know, technically, no one can officially approach players until the summer, but the longer they are in this position, the more it gives other clubs and their own agent ideas.I hope at least something verbal is in place.[/quote]

can they not?  i thought they were free to talk to other clubs 6 months before the end of their contract.

[/quote]I don''t actually know, you could well be correct.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="mastoola"]

[quote user="morty"]A few annoying things here for me.

Not knowing whats going on for one, and secondly, I think the club is playing a dangerous game here if they are keeping good players waiting, I know, technically, no one can officially approach players until the summer, but the longer they are in this position, the more it gives other clubs and their own agent ideas.

I hope at least something verbal is in place.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t actually know, you could well be correct.
[/quote]

I love you[:)]

I wouldn''t worry Morty. With the best modern day CE, coupled with a very astute and clever manager, I would wager that everything is in hand and in place

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="mastoola"]

[quote user="morty"]A few annoying things here for me.Not knowing whats going on for one, and secondly, I think the club is playing a dangerous game here if they are keeping good players waiting, I know, technically, no one can officially approach players until the summer, but the longer they are in this position, the more it gives other clubs and their own agent ideas.I hope at least something verbal is in place.[/quote]

[/quote]I don''t actually know, you could well be correct.[/quote]

[/quote]You''re weirding me out man, stop it.[:)]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]I wouldn''t worry Morty. With the best modern day CE, coupled with a very astute and clever manager, I would wager that everything is in hand and in place[/quote]Oh yeah I know that probably it will be fine.But Lambert has unearthed some real gems, they have proved they can perform on the biggest stage, and Norwich City aren''t the best payers exactly, wage wise.It really wouldn''t take very much to tempt players away, you talk about team spirit etc, but "Double your wages" talks a whole lot louder!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="mastoola"]

[/quote]You''re weirding me out man, stop it.[:)][/quote]sorry to gatecrash the private party.players can talk to foreign clubs six months previous, but only talk to clubs in their own country (legally)after the contract has expired.

quote user="i,coopius"][quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="mastoola"]

[/quote]You''re weirding me out man, stop it.[:)][/quote]sorry to gatecrash the private party.players can talk to foreign clubs six months previous, but only talk to clubs in their own country (legally)after the contract has expired.[/quoteThanks for clearing that up, that is how i thought it worked but wasn''t sure. That''s not so worrying then because i can''t see any of the players moving abroad. So still plenty of time to offer contracts before other prem teams do.

I wonder if some of it also isn''t Lambert testing his players'' commitment... We know he only wants truly committed players in the squad, perhaps he''s playing a bit of a psychological game to flush out any that aren''t 110% behind him and would be tempted away by bigger wages to warm another team''s bench?

The players are where they are for one reason and one reason only. Those with any sense will not bite the hand that feeds them. 

[quote user="Webbo118"]The players are where they are for one reason and one reason only. Those with any sense will not bite the hand that feeds them. [/quote]

Seems the only people worried about contracts are the fans, even though Lambert has said there is no plan for a mas exiduse of first team players in the summer, he also said he may loan out some of the youngsters, Now if I can understand what he means why can''t everyone else. IN LAMBERT WE TRUST.

Ward, Drury, Wilbraham are players I am not worried about not having had conversations with in regard to new contracts. Whitbread and Fox similarly I am not too worried altho both are closer to the first team than the other three.However I like what Lambert is doing, he is seeing the hunger with these players and seeing how they perform over this stretch. If they still want to improve and take us up the table then they will be offered a fair contract. Yes the £££ may not be as much as Sunderland, but the move up their really did alot of good for Michael Turner in regard of improving his career. Also the ride we are on as a club will not come that often, I cannot see Sunderland building much more with Europe or a cup being likely in the next few years.SO whitbread who has been very good is pretty important as we have seen as our defence has played better with him in it. But he is not irreplacable. We need to improve defensively our goal difference is an area to improve on next season. If he were to go it would be a loss but we would have to replace and I believe we could pick up a very capable centre half. I am a massive fan of Whitbread and hope he continues to improve, I like the way he plays. But there is the risk of injury. I know all players have that, but there is a risk with Whitbread.Personally I would be happy to sign him and I do think we could look at another centre half as we look to improve our defence.Fox, now I am going to ruffle a few feathers. Personally I think his position is under threat. I think we can pick up a distributing, holding midfielder up as a starter and have Fox on the bench. I certainly also think we may look at another central midfielder if Adeyemi and Korey Smith are players we will not plan to play with next season in January. I do think we need a commanding presence in the middle of the park and with Howson, Hoolahoops, Johnson, Surman and Crofts there now I do think that they will compete for a position alongside this new midfielder.I do think Fox will be offered a new contract but it may not be as high as many would think as I do believe we can improve on his position and need to.Having said that though if we are being rumoured to get players such as Gunter and McCleary(?) from Forest then maybe he hasn''t got to worry about the £2-4million quality players coming in.Certainly I feel that we will be fair with contracts keeping players here who can again be very good squad players and keep Lamberts ethos alive. But a few will be cast off with 4-5 players leaving and being replaced in our premiership squad.Barnett and Ward are often spouted as those who would leave. Chris Martin and Wilby upfront. Drury, Lappin and then the rumour of newcastles interest in R. Martin and Surman. Of course there will always be rumours but I do not expect any player to really leave on much of a fee and I expect a couple of guys to be released.So I think we will have to fill 4-5 positions and that may well mean that Korey and Tom A are ready, have to say I think I would like to see both being considered certainly Adeyemi.But, I like Lambert''s approach lets see how the boys perform and hold themselves uptil the end of the season. They are all in the same boat and maybe we do miss out on someone as they look elsewhere. But as always we don''t know and it will be an exciting time for us, but not so great for the players as they play for a contract.

No real shock to me its something which works for both sides.

a) From the clubs point of view they don''t want to give out contracts and find we in a have a crash and get relegated (which firmly won''t happen).

b) For the players they have a much stronger position once we are confirmed in the Prem next season or if we did go down they were able to talk with Premier League clubs and be available as a free agent

has anyone considered that 1. deals have already signed just not announced.and2. new signings have already been decided to replace the "dead wood" and just not announced.

This is going to be slated as idle gossip but I have it on good authority that we have targeted "some players" to bring in during the close season and  the success of our shopping trip(s) will obviously have an effect on the playing staff currently looking for new contracts.

I would assume that this is normal practice so probably not earth breaking news but this "rumour" comes from a source that has been very accurate in the past on transfers etc.