Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Tactical approach next season

Lambert has continued to shuffle his pack this season with lineups including:

Diamond

Basically I feel he wants to play wes behind a front two hence the trusty diamond this though seems to have had its day with Wigan match seeing us overrun again. The 4411 has not appeared for awhile mainly as we lack a striker to hold the ball up and run in behind (but who doesn''t). The latestest solution was the 352 which is kinda the diamond but. With an extra defender will be interesting if we see it again. If we don''t then are wes days numbered? How do you think we will line up next season?

With players like Surman, it allows us to play 1 winger, Wes and 2 strikers with Surman playing as a left more defensive minded midfielder with another defensive minded midfielder in there. This does on occasion leave us a bit flat.

Unfortunately, we don''t have the funds to attract enough quality to have an outright 1st choice 11 and so hence the juggling.

Wes will always be seen as a bit of a luxury player as he doesn''t really fit into any of the more traditional formations. Doesn''t mean he won''t start much for us though. Howson seems to have been brought in to be a more complete (but probably less technically gifted) Wes. He works well with Fox and allows us to play 2 wide men (Pilks and Bennett). Having 2 strikers, the wide men, Fox and Hoolahan all playing would be in danger of being overrun at this level.

Well Ulf, I have tried to predict the formation will play on numerous occasions this season and I am right about as often as I would be by drawing them out of a hat at random. Butg, if you''re right, and Lambert is continually searching for effective formations to accomodate Wes then that certainly says plenty about how highly he rates him. That being the case we may well see more of the same.

League One to the Premier League and Holt & Hoolahan are still so important to us. That''s another reason why this journey has been so special.

I did wonder whether Wes''s days are numbered when we signed Howson. I got the impression from Leeds fans and people who had seen a lot of him that he best position was behind the front men and that he was ineffective elsewhere. In short a very similar version of Wes. From what I saw on Saturday against Wolves that simply wasnt the case. I saw an excellent midfielder happy to accept the ball under pressure, in any area of the pitch. I think you could accomodate both Howson and Wes in the diamond as a result.

[quote user="Jacko"]

I did wonder whether Wes''s days are numbered when we signed Howson. I got the impression from Leeds fans and people who had seen a lot of him that he best position was behind the front men and that he was ineffective elsewhere. In short a very similar version of Wes. From what I saw on Saturday against Wolves that simply wasnt the case. I saw an excellent midfielder happy to accept the ball under pressure, in any area of the pitch. I think you could accomodate both Howson and Wes in the diamond as a result.

[/quote]All i have learnt from leeds fans over the years is that they talk utter bollocks. You stand more chance of getting the correct opinion by believing the opposite of whatever any Leeds fan says.I do wonder if Wes'' days at norwich are numbered- must be one of our highest earners yet plays about a third of games. I say offer him to leeds in a switch + cash deal for Snoody

i believe they are equally important. remember you can play them together in a team.

for example:

-----------------------ruddy----------------------

martin--------bennett---------whitbread-----tierney

--bennett--------------fox--------------surman-----

----------hoolahan-----------howson---------------

-----------------------holt--------------------------

One of our strengths this season has been they was we have been able to change and adapt for certain sides. I would expect more of the same

The shape of the side depends hugely on both the opposition to be faced in a particular, and also the squad available, signed on and injury free.I would not like to suggest that any particular formation is always the best.

With the hope of one or two (high value?) signings arriving in the summer, it may become less of a problem. If you have three very mobile strikers/wingers and ditto midfielders, you will cause problems for anyone and be able to counter opponent strengths.

At the moment our very creative players - Wes, Surs and Foxy are not really strikers nor able to defend fully if required. It''s good to see Holty getting back to defend, but when he does it leaves us with little forward outlet. The problem with either Wes or Surs is that if one of these plays we are playing effectively 3-3-3, with the midfield either having two wingers and one central central player, or the converse. This may have been the reason why PL played several games with a single striker plus Wes behind.

We saw PL''s attempt to counter Wolves wide strength, with 3-5-2, but it didn''t really work, especially as none of the back three are over-quick. In the second half we reverted to 4-4-2, and were better at starving service to the wings, although 3-5-2 was worth a try, especially as it involved two wide men. If Pilkington was fully fit, he would presumably be preferred to Lappin, with two good feet, size and height in defence.

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]

All i have learnt from leeds fans over the years is that they talk utter bollocks. You stand more chance of getting the correct opinion by believing the opposite of whatever any Leeds fan says.

I do wonder if Wes'' days at norwich are numbered- must be one of our highest earners yet plays about a third of games. I say offer him to leeds in a switch + cash deal for Snoody
[/quote]

Isn''t he the fella with no neck? In which case, how would he wear a snood? :-)