Sign in to follow this  
H4H

which pub in Fulham

Which pub in Fulham are the majority of you going to on Saturday, thinking either the Crabtree or The Duke in Putney... Looking forward to a great day out and some great atmosphere before and during the game....

we will be heading for the crabtree  great pub on the river  shame its not the boat race this weekend.For those who dont know its about a half a mile west of craven cottage just follow the river

See you in The Crabtree!

Halfway between Hammersmith station and Craven Cottage, just a 5 min walk from the ground along the river.....

I have to go to the Pear Tree, (meeting a Fulham fan there), does anyone know anything about it?

Depending on where you disembark, a veritable smorgasbord of pubs and bars await the Yella Army down Putney High Street and Putney Bridge.

If you arrive at Putney Mainline Station you’ll find The Railway a big and typical JD Wetherspoon establishment and the funky Citizen Smith selling Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam and Lowrider on draught opposite the station. The Fox is just around the corner, which is not a bad little boozer (mind you, I drank in here when we lost 0-6, so won’t be there tomorrow).

Further down Putney High Street, you’ll find a small Slug & Lettuce and then a real Putney favourite, The Spotted Horse which I always enjoy a pint in. This is a Young & Co pub and is deceptive in that it is a lot bigger than it looks. It’s a bit expensive, though.

A little walk further down and you’ll find the Whistle & Flute which is a Fullers Pub. It’s alright for a pint and has a couple of large screens showing Football. Nothing special.

Further down the road, and not far from Putney Bridge, is the Coat & Badge which does become popular in good weather. Has a garden to the front and gets a good mixture of FFC and away supporters. Food is meant to be very good, but rather expensive. Always enjoy a pint in here.

For all you CAMRA lovers, the Bricklayers Arms is the best pub in Putney for Real Ale with a large selection of well kept and high quality ales. Not the biggest pub and it does get busy. There is a small garden and you get quite a few away supporters in there. The ales change on a very regular basis.

The Boathouse is good watering hole on a nice day. It’s a Youngs House, which has a large terrace overlooking Putney Bridge and the Thames. Again, a little bit expensive, but it’s a big pub on three levels. Food meant to be good. The Rocket is next door/nearby. Another JD Weatherspoon and a cheaper option than the Boathouse.

As mentioned, the Dukes Head is pretty good. Another Young’s House on the River and very popular. Again, expensive but the location is very nice. The Dukes Head and the nearby Star & Garter, which is now a wine bar/restaurant, were regularly featured in episodes of Minder and the Sweeney (you slag). John Christie (10 Rillington Place) was arrested nearby on Putney Bridge Embankment.

If you get off at Putney Bridge Tube station, you will find The Eight Bells. A popular destination for the away fan, but I don’t really know why. Small pub with a few tables outside, it’s alright for a beer if you’re meeting up before the game or killing ten minutes after the game. There are a lot better pubs than this, though.

Two popular pubs for away fans are the Larrick Inn and the Temperance. Both are just over Putney Bridge and just round the corner from Putney Bridge Tube Station. The Larrick is a fairly new bar which has a number of TV screens, but was showing American Football and Super-15 Rugby instead of Sky Sports when I went there. Strange place that has the front of a camper van on one wall and graffiti artwork on another. Could be a diner or a café or even a pub.

The Temperance was formerly an O’Neill’s establishment when the Yella Army last visited on that fateful Sunday afternoon in May 2005. Meant to have changed into a gastro-pub but, from the mixed reviews that I’ve heard, it still sounds like a pub that offers typical pub chain fayre.

On Fulham High Street is the Golden Lion Pub that only lets in Fulham supporters. This is a shame, as it’s quite a nice little cosy pub, with a nice garden.

Still on Fulham High Street, on the roundabout, is Rockwell’s which used to be the famous “Kings Head” music venue. This has only just opened and it’s not a bad place. I was in here before Fulham played WBA. There was a few Baggies in there and I hear it was very popular with Wolves fans before there recent capitulation. Not sure about the grub. Think there was burger and chips being served. Good friendly atmosphere and probably one of the nearest to Craven Cottage. Highly recommended.

The Crabtree is a popular pub behind the Hammersmith (home) End, about a 10 minute walk. A very popular pub that has just been refurbished. You won’t have too many complaints if you end up here. Food wise, it’s very good and certainly more fricasse of vegetables with salsify, than burger and chips with tommy sauce.

Anyhow Simeon to get the winner in a 2-1 win.

NMTD