Sign in to follow this  
RvWs 4 year contract

Grant Holt

The goals against Wolves were his 66th and 67th for Norwich City.Bearing in mind he''s started 109 games and made 12 appearances from the subs bench, his stats are just incredible.What is even more incredible is his stats compared to those in the top 5 list of top Canary goalscorers.Holty is only 13 goals away from the top 5. Nobody could back against him getting in there.What a legend. WFL GH!

Yep a legend and talisman. People were writing him off at the beginning of the season. I still shake my head in disbelief when I think about it. The guys record is outstanding and its not just goals is it. One minute he is scoring goals the next he is clearing a ball at left back. Captain marvel. Ladies and gentlemen Mr grant Holt .....

What is truly outstanding is the way he scores. All time favouriyes such as Gary Linnerkar, Dennis Law and Jimmy Greaves (who he?) were goal poachers or mostly simply tap in merchants.Some of the goals Holt has scored have been incredible. Watch the video below. Not only has he an unerring knack of getting the ball in the back of the net when it looks impossible but the amount of spot on crosses shows why we have been scoring so manyHolt goals Try and pick a top three out of those(2m 25 v Oldham is a cracker)

Theres a goal in that video which WFLGH scores against Leyton O.A fantastic near post finish. My favourite of the lot.To think I considered getting Lappin 19 on the back of this year''s home shirt! [:D] Thanks for justifying my choice Holty!

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Yep a legend and talisman. People were writing him off at the beginning of the season. I still shake my head in disbelief when I think about it. The guys record is outstanding and its not just goals is it. One minute he is scoring goals the next he is clearing a ball at left back. Captain marvel. Ladies and gentlemen Mr grant Holt .....[/quote]

There are still people who say he is no good.

Shows some people just don''t know football. I never had any doubts over the big man and i have no doubt he''d do the job for England either!!

I''d have to agree, though I don''t actually think Holt will get a call up (Englands loss imo) - we''ve been banging on in this country for so many years about building for the future at (and for) every Euro Championship and World Cup...but other than a few memorable and exceptional moments, we have flattered too deceive more often than not.

I also think that the forthcoming European Championships are an ideal testing ground for England to try ''something different'' - we have yet to appoint a permanent manager and overall expectations appear currently realistic (lets hope they stay that way, but undoubtedly, the media will blow everything out of proportion prior to the tournament).  I truly think this year we could try something different by selecting mostly a squad of players who are actually on, and can demonstrate being on, form. 

These tournaments are one offs, in that they occur every couple of years, I don''t undertand why we don''t have a look at picking players who have both absolute momentum and form.  I know some might argue that a team full of simply ''form'' players may not play well together as a team, but if we were to reflect, has the other option of sticking with the old guard for want of a better expression, served us any better anyway??  Holt has both form and momentum - I know some sections of the media have said things along the lines of ''but he''s now into his 30''s'' (just)......well, so f''ing what - the Euros are not a training excercise for the 2014 WC are they.....  I''d love to see him given a chance, at times he has a sublime touch, and is a great finisher, but regretfully, I just don''t think they''ll give it him.

[quote user="shiplee15"]

[/quote]

Really - I dont recall seeing any of those?!

Some after individual games where he was quiet but but I can recall anyone saying he is no good - not ever to be honest.

[quote user="City1st"] Dennis Law and Jimmy Greaves (who he?) were goal poachers or mostly simply tap in merchants.

[/quote]

Holt is an absolute legend and stands in my list alongside Kevin Keelan but City 1st your statement above is way off beam and all i can say is a few minutes on youtube and i am positive you will change your mind mate.

Holt has been such a revelation, an integral part of what has gone on here in the last three years, he is every bit a club legend. I used to argue that England could do far worse than pick Kevin Davies, Kevin Davies wouldn''t get a look in now Holty is on the scene.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="City1st"] Dennis Law and Jimmy Greaves (who he?) were goal poachers or mostly simply tap in merchants.

[/quote]

Holt is an absolute legend and stands in my list alongside Kevin Keelan but City 1st your statement above is way off beam and all i can say is a few minutes on youtube and i am positive you will change your mind mate.

[/quote]

Dennis Law was a really clever little footballer. 

I am sure he scored a lovely little flick or back heel for Man City against Man U! that relegated them, or all but relegated them, if not I am certain it was in the season they got relegated.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dennis Law was a really clever little footballer. 

I am sure he scored a lovely little flick or back heel for Man City against Man U! that relegated them, or all but relegated them, if not I am certain it was in the season they got relegated.

[/quote]

I will probably get shot down now but who remembers Frank Worthington.? I put Holt in the same Mold as him Worthington flicked the ball over his head and ran through 4 defenders and nodded the ball home and Holt is that same sort of player.

YESS!! Big Frank was the most underrated centre forward ever. Remember him & Cherry getting Huddersfield promoted, so much better than the rest of the team it was ridiculous.

My favourite goal of his was when he nonchalantly took the ball on his shoulder as it dropped down over his head, then volleyed it home (I think, he scored anyway). Nonchalant was the word for Frank, extravagantly gifted footballer who was perhaps a bit too casual with his gifts.

For me the really impressive thing about Holt is his goal/game ratio. Despite playing in the modern game with all the intensive defence that now goes on, he has a better ratio than many from the past.

Goalscoring has got harder statistically which makes the truly exceptional modern strikers and that includes Holt in the City context, so very impressive.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

With regard to Law and Greaves i meant to say.

[quote user="shiplee15"][quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Yep a legend and talisman. People were writing him off at the beginning of the season. I still shake my head in disbelief when I think about it. The guys record is outstanding and its not just goals is it. One minute he is scoring goals the next he is clearing a ball at left back. Captain marvel. Ladies and gentlemen Mr grant Holt .....[/quote]

Shows some people just don''t know football. I never had any doubts over the big man and i have no doubt he''d do the job for England either!![/quote]........yeah, but they support the binners or koopeearr not a football team.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="shiplee15"]

[/quote]

Really - I dont recall seeing any of those?!

Some after individual games where he was quiet but but I can recall anyone saying he is no good - not ever to be honest.[/quote]I distinctly remember being in the minority when i said Grant Holt would exceed 10 goals this season, and when suggesting he''d score more than 20 in the Championship.Also remember Shack (a poster for which i have a lot of time for regardless) making it known that he thought very little of him on a number of occasions earlier on in the season.Away from that, i firmly believe Holt is needed in the England national team. Deserving of it isn''t even in question.If Kevin Davies, a player who has only managed to score more than 10 goals once in 15 seasons of Premier League football (a record Grant Holt has already equalled in one, and looks to be on course to beat) is given his debut at the age of 33 under circumstances where there was certainly stronger competition, then Holt most certainly does. That''s witout accounting also for all the freak call-ups of other far less deserving players under the previous regime.As for future building Holt is of a mould of player that can sustain their standards to very late ages; large forwards who don''t rely on pace tend to be late bloomers of sorts - just at home i think we can all testify to that after Iwan Roberts. Were he to maintain form like this he could feasibly appear for us in the next Euro''s. That''s longer than a large share of the players touted for call-ups, and hence more constructive with regard to ''future building'' than a lot of his competitors for a place in the side.

I won''t mention (again) that i was also pretty much derided for predicting 15 for him this season. Ooops, there i go again.

That video of every single goal he has scored for us in L1 and th Champ is all you need to know about the guy (except that he can do the same in the Premier League of course). It shows that he is the absolute and finest example of a goal scoring machine. He scores in every single way possible and best of all, no-one ever manages to stop him. My favourite goal in the compilation is actually one of the very first when he literally runs through half of the Yeovil team and they are bouncing off him, falling off him and they still can''t stop him. Absolutely love that!

Who ever believed that there could be a legend at the club to equal Hucks so soon after he left us?

Holt''s goalscoring record for us eclipses anything Frank Worthington managed.

Worthington did however score a memorable goal against the scum - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z_arXZ8nM

Many thanks for that, norfolkbroadslim. I''d actually forgotten that particular one, but it''s a perfect illustration of what Frank was all about.

Grant would always score more goals in the modern game, he has a much higher work ethic & contributes more to the team all round. But in terms of sheer footballing ability, Worthington was up there in the top rank.

I''m still smiling after seeing that goal!

Has he ever got injured? I remember him struggling against Watford at the end last season but he played 3 days later and scored against forest if I remember correctly.for a man who is so influential he never seems to miss any games (apart from suspensions)

If there is one goal that sums him up then it is the first against Ipswich.  Hustles and bustles the defender to win the ball before confidently slotting it home.

Not bad for a fat tyre fitter.