Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Why this formation? Poor Mr Lambert

Didn''t work last week so we try it this week? Back to basics pleasseeeee

shocking formation. why the 3 centre backs?

leave the experimental stuff for pre-season.

I thought we were going to have a go now we were supposedly safe.

Hopefully this will be the end of the back 5 - here''s a thought why not Drury left back as he''s left footed and naughton right back as he''s right footed yes it sounds simple but that''s what players like - Drury is getting on but how often do you see as player go past him and get a cross in, he is still an excellent defender - then for me centre half''s whitbread and martin I''m sorry but when somebody runs at Ward his legs turn to jellyyyyyy - oh well my 1st post I''ve got my crash helmet on!

OTBC!

The thing is Ward is on a yellow, he has been given his last warning. What is Lambert seeing we are not? So much for care free football, we look defensive and scared. 442 please.

I think it experimenting for a longer term vision for next season. It needs three very solid CBs which atm i''m not sure we have. As for attacking i think it works well. The facts it''s wing backs who have to attack is the reason it''s Naughton instead of Drury, more attacking minded.

Think it can be very effective, but against Fulham who have those high and wide wingers it''s too dangerous for me

Don''t slate, just giving my opinion on why.

Fulham have now switched to a one striker formation, Norwich only need two Center backs (one to mark the striker, one in a free roll), I would expect another striker/midfielder at half time because of this.

see my thread about 4 more changes!! this really is costing us dearly all this chopping and changing, 4 changes today, 5 last week its ridiculous!! He should go with a settled side and formation like most other clubs in this division!!! Why play Lappin last week for 45 mins and then totally discard him? thats a little bit bizarre to me!!

Defensively it needs work, you’ve got to remember this back line has never played together before.

The link up play between Hoolahan, Surman, Howson and Fox has been breathtaking.

Two individual errors and we could have had a few our selves.

We were by far and away the best team in the first half hour.

Morrison has been poor but if we had the Grolt in this formation we’d be frightening

Another change at half time, Whitbread off? Seems silly to me as Ward is really on his last warning. Lambert knows what he''s doing though.... i hope.

It seems fairly obvious to me that Lambert wants to experiment with 3-5-2 as it should provide us with the greater contol in midfield that a 4-5-1 does but also allows us to field two strikers. A sort of best of both worlds. Obviously we did not play with two orthodox strikers today as we did last week but we still had plenty of creative and attcking players on the pitch. If Holt had not been suspended today I reckon we would have got a point at least playing that way. Morison just looks to be severely lacking in confidence at the moment and Jackson never looks like scoring (he should have done better with the excelent through ball Wes played to him near the end). This formation can work but we maybe need to sign a pacy and skillful second striker in the summer.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]oh no.. its all terrible.. this is sickening and we are going to get relegated...[/quote]

Tempting fate just a lil bit, we are not safe yet...

Its interesting that every week the threads criticizing our lineup or formation only get posted once we are 1 or 2 down. Never before kick-off when the team has been announced. Not suggesting that yourself and Baldyboy didnt have these thoughts before kick-off, but it would always be interesting to hear your respective thoughts on the match thread when we dont have the benefit of hindsight.

As always its rarely the system that causes issues. Both goals were due to poor preventable individual errors. With the right wing backs in particular this is a successful formation, but you do need all three centre backs to be awake. Naughton remains a star but on the right flank especially.

The midfield took a while to gel again, surman impressed and the middle looked better the longer the game went on, we just created too little

We do need some pace - and we do miss pilkingtons class

I feel that when Tierney comes back, he and Naughton will thrive in their more advanced wing-back rolls and provide good balance.I find the attitudes towards a back three rather alarming. The Premier League is the ideal place to play a back three seeing as most teams still play with two strikers. In a 3-5-2 you have:Three Center backs (Two to mark the strikers and a libero who sweeps up attacks and starts offensive moves)Two central midfielders (Allows you to control the game against most standard midfield formations)Two Wing backs (Width and fourth and fifth defenders)A Trequartista (Creative, makes chances adds a third central midfielder)Two Strikers (Able to contend with most flat back four formations)If Lambert continues to play this formation as the players get more used to a back three I can only see Norwich improving. 

[quote user="Gareth"]I feel that when Tierney comes back, he and Naughton will thrive in their more advanced wing-back rolls and provide good balance.

I find the attitudes towards a back three rather alarming. The Premier League is the ideal place to play a back three seeing as most teams still play with two strikers. In a 3-5-2 you have:

Three Center backs (Two to mark the strikers and a libero who sweeps up attacks and starts offensive moves)

Two central midfielders (Allows you to control the game against most standard midfield formations)

Two Wing backs (Width and fourth and fifth defenders)

A Trequartista (Creative, makes chances adds a third central midfielder)

Two Strikers (Able to contend with most flat back four formations)

If Lambert continues to play this formation as the players get more used to a back three I can only see Norwich improving. 
[/quote]

Who gets the crosses in?[:^)]

Only if you have the calibre of players to play the system Gareth. And the first half showed that we don''t. There was very little width going forward, No support for the lone striker and no real movement of the ball. The 2nd half was a far better display with good passing and movement. Wes came into his own in the final 25 mins and looked different class.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Gareth"]I feel that when Tierney comes back, he and Naughton will thrive in their more advanced wing-back rolls and provide good balance.I find the attitudes towards a back three rather alarming. The Premier League is the ideal place to play a back three seeing as most teams still play with two strikers. In a 3-5-2 you have:Three Center backs (Two to mark the strikers and a libero who sweeps up attacks and starts offensive moves)Two central midfielders (Allows you to control the game against most standard midfield formations)Two Wing backs (Width and fourth and fifth defenders)A Trequartista (Creative, makes chances adds a third central midfielder)Two Strikers (Able to contend with most flat back four formations)If Lambert continues to play this formation as the players get more used to a back three I can only see Norwich improving.  [/quote]

Who gets the crosses in?[:^)]

[/quote]Well we might have to try some of this *shockgasphorror* passing we''re always told about

[quote user="JF"]Only if you have the calibre of players to play the system Gareth. And the first half showed that we don''t. There was very little width going forward, No support for the lone striker and no real movement of the ball. The 2nd half was a far better display with good passing and movement. Wes came into his own in the final 25 mins and looked different class.[/quote]Well we didn''t really play a 3-5-2 in the first half, we played a 3-5-1-1 a formation I am not a huge fan of. The most important part of this formation is that width plays very little part in it. I understand this goes against every thing English football fans have been told is important in football (getting the crosses in) but the wing-backs provide enough width provided they perform their roles properly.The reason I think it will be interesting to see if we play this formation once Tierney returns is that him and Naughton would thrive in their wing back roles and would provide decent width whilst allowing our central midfielders to control the midfield.

The wing backs get the crosses in - which naughton can do from the right and I would have pilkington doing from the left.

A good wing back is a fanstastic player but its physically demanding Zeige is the best I can remember in recent years - philip lahm pretty good too - lambert showing his german heritage again...