Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Concerned about our strikeforce

You need at least 5 decent strikers, possibly even 6, as a team in the Premier League.  We started the season with 6 on our books:

Grant Holt - fully proved himself at this level and been key to Norwich (hopefully) surviving this season.  Steve Morison - started the season very well but since December, his form has dipped alarmingly.  Scored an impressive number of goals, though I feel all of these have been instinctive rather than well thought out.  The number of fluffed one-on-ones is concerning.Simeon Jackson - good squad striker, though don''t think we can rely on him to score too many.  Will give 100% always and is a willing runner, but will snap at a lot of chances.Chris Martin - given a brief chance at the beginning of the season but not good enough for the Premier League.  Currently on loan at Palace which is his level.James Vaughan - made of glass.  Hardly played any meaningful games.Aaron Wilbraham - Squad striker.  Has not let the team down when required, though the sight of him playing means that the other choices are either unavailable, injured or out of form.

Looking ahead to next season, only Holt has proved himself.  Jackson will remain, as will Vaughan.  Martin will move on to a Championship team and I have a feeling we will offload Morison for a small profit.  Brought for £2.8m, I reckon his 8 Premier League goals mean we could sell him for around £4m and cut and run while we can.That leaves 3 striking positions to fill. I think we will therefore need to buy 2 new ones, but I am then going to stick my neck out and say we will offer Wilbraham another 1 year contract. I think Lambert likes his attitude and knows he can rely on him when needed, even if it may not be that often. He also knows he isn''t going to moan too much being on the bench at best for most of the season, and is probably an ideal lower-pecking order striker.We will need 2 others I think though.

[quote user="flecky76"]You need at least 5 decent strikers, possibly even 6, as a team in the Premier League. [/quote]No you don''t.  4 is acceptable e.g. Man City, Spurs, Everton, Stoke, Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Mmmmm.... Lets just hope the Falklands doesn''t kick off again.......Bloody Argies.

4?  How do you work that one out?!Even with our 6 strikers this season, we were already down to the bare bones on Saturday with Holt suspended, Vaughan injured and Martin out on loan.  Any match day squad has to have 4 strikers included, so with your method, there would be no room for any suspensions, injuries or form so I don''t think we could get away with that.  Remember that putting the ball in the net is THE most important thing in football.We definately need 6, even if it meant we loaned 1 out at some point.

I think Lambo sees Jackson, and maybe Morison, as players who are doing the job until we can replace with better. I could see Jackson leaving even though he is playing regularly.

[quote user="thenorthstand"]I think Lambo sees Jackson, and maybe Morison, as players who are doing the job until we can replace with better. I could see Jackson leaving even though he is playing regularly.[/quote]

ah yes, much the same as the likes of Oli Johnson and Darel Russell you mean in our League One season and Barnett and Lansbury last...that''s what Lamberts all about, progression.

I''m with Choppsy on this one I''m afraid fleck, 6 strikers is just ludicrous, having a player of Steve Morison''s obvious potential is something not to be sniffed at, and I''m sure when he is eventually hounded out by the fans, we''ll certainly know the meaning of the saying ''you don''t miss something until its gone''

If we play a lone striker, we tend to have about 3 others on the bench so we can change if necessary - we still have 4 therefore in a matchday 18.  In my book, we''ve been EXTREMELY lucky that Holty has been fit all season.  Had we lost him for a considerable amount of time (a la Tierney, Vaughan, Ayala) then I think the end to this season could have been totally different.  I can''t see who we can reply on to score goals on a regular basis without him - Pilks is the only other one and he''s not even an out and out striker.

IMHO we will need one more goalscorer ala Rhodes asssuming Wilbo and Martin are off. I am undecided about Jacko as his contribution this season has surprised me and the added element of pace (as well as outstanding effort) can be usefully utilised at times.

I am assuming that Vaughan will be available and that Morison will be out of the doldrems. If not, then either of these two possibilities occuring would mean a drastic splash out  of funds might well be on the cards as far away as the first window next year.  

You need to ask yourself if Morison is playing through an ankle injury because it''s his choice or rather that we cant afford another injury upfront.

I''d agree that four strikers would be enough, but on the proviso that the four are all genuine Prem quality ones. In our case Holt has proved that, Morison would if given the chance. Not sure about Vaughan (I''m concerned that he may be a "sick note " type player) and tbh Wilbraham , Jackson and Martin are Championship qualty who can only play in the Prem very sparingly.

I''m with Flecky to the extent that I believe we need to sign a genuine Prem standard striker for next term. Holty is not getting any younger, and if he gets injured, we would definitely struggle for goals.

On ability in the premier league Jackson, Wilby and C Martin would not be in the squad next year.But with what they can offer at the training ground is very different. If we can pick up a pacey strong striker then Jackson can move on. Holt, Morison, Vaughan, newbie and Howson/Hoolahoops/Bennett to play just behind the main striker is absolutely fine. Then pick up fast pacey wingers (finally) and then you have an attacking threat.I am not concerned about our striker force, we will still score goals this season, but I do not think we are playing with any real attacking vigour. In the summer we will bring in new players which we need in all positions at the football club to move forward and get ready to fight for 17th place at the end of 2013.I expect a new striker to come in and some of our boys to leave, if one of the three stays then they will def. be squad players and behind the likes of Holt, Vaughan, Morison and the newbie because they do not have the calibre of being a main strike threat for a premiership team. So I am not worried as the window is round the corner and we will move out some players in the 25 that are not going to be of benefit.But I understand that some clubs may have more than 4 strikers if they have a good youth system, ours has struggled for years (apart from in the goalkeeping position) if we had a youngster coming through then he would be worth adding to Holt, Morison, Newbie and Vaughan.So not concerned, cause we are moving forward and to move forward some players have to leave and be replaced.

I would rather keep jacko than vaughan . Vaughan is purely potential. Now don''t get me wrong a fit vaughan then maybe but the guy is a crock and is a waste of money. I hope he gets fit and is playing regularly next season scoring goals. If not get rid. At the minute jacko is far more valuable than a guy who is spending more time with the physio than the 1st team

[quote user="flecky76"]4?  How do you work that one out?!

Even with our 6 strikers this season, we were already down to the bare bones on Saturday with Holt suspended, Vaughan injured and Martin out on loan.  Any match day squad has to have 4 strikers included, so with your method, there would be no room for any suspensions, injuries or form so I don''t think we could get away with that.  Remember that putting the ball in the net is THE most important thing in football.

We definately need 6, even if it meant we loaned 1 out at some point.[/quote]

Altough I agree with your comments regarding needing 6 strikers I do not agree with putting the ball in the net is the most important thing in football,

I believe not letting goals in is THE most important thing in football. Obviously we cannot win a game without scoring but it does not mean we will win if we score.

If we do not let a goal in then the worst that can happen is a draw.

[quote user="flecky76"]  Any match day squad has to have 4 strikers included[/quote]

Has to? Seriously? Is that a rule then?

I am uncertain how many strikers we shall need - we have managed all season with Vaughan missing, and later Martin. Perhaps we have been lucky with other striker injuries, or perhaps we have been helped by playing one striker on occasions. We do not seem to have been in the position we had in the past when, among others, the Doc was pressed in as a striker!

I take the point, however, - a couple of injuries or suspensions, especially involving Holt, and the cupboard would look a little bare. I also agree with posters who are suggesting that we need to improve the quality of our strikers by at least two good signings.

When all is said or done, however, this season we have scored a reasonable number of goals. Where we are threatened is the number of goals conceded - only four or five teams have conceded more. We have lost too many games by the odd goal, and often by a fairly elementary error. Craven Cottage illustrated the point entirely. Fulham had barely more chances than we did, and certainly less possession. They took their chances caused by our errors, even if the first was fairly involuntary, and but for some good blocking they could have had two or three more.

PL, in building for the future, surely knows that we need strikers who are more accurate and more consistent, but at the same time he knows we need a tighter defence. All this on a limited budget, so he needs to continue with his miracles!

Wow, 6 premier quality stirkers eh. That would be nice! It would also cloud cuckoo land!

We can''t afford it and nor can a manager, even of Lambert''s calibre, keep 6 strikers happy.

In the six we currently have, Lambert will have known from the start that at least 1 would go on loan, that at least one, especially with Vaughan''s history, would be injured at any one time, one may even leave, while others would be squad strikers.

It''s ok to go with 6 on the basis that you''re going to lose some and others will be fringe strikers but to expect 6 holt/morison quality strikers is dreamland, sorry!

6 premier quality striker - are you taking the p*ss???Virtually NO premiership club has that many top strikers, in fact the average is between 2-3, with some sides sacrificing quality for quantity such as Everton.Holt and Morison are going nowhere (regardless of Moro''s recent dip in form), Jackson offers a bit of extra pace as a squad striker, and a fully fit Vaughan has as much potential as anyone in our squad.Chrissy and Wilbs just aren''t cut out for this level (I''d argue that Jacko isn''t really either), but I''d suggest that if they both moved on, then we''d only need potentially 1 quality replacement to come in such as the likes of Rhodes or Rodriguez, and that should be more than enough.Don''t forget as well that there will be the Jan window next season for a loan or emergency signing if injuries etc have been that serious.

Personally, I like what we''ve got.   If we could get Morison going we have good options.   Jackson just needs a goal to get his confidence up then we will see the best of him.    Even Wilbraham looks a handful when he comes on. Vaughan if fit will cause problems.  

Thats 4 strikers who have something to prove + Holt.     If all five are fit and on form we have a good strike force.   

The grass is always greener and yes we could get someone else in but if we go with the same next year I won''t be disappointed - although I know alot of fans will not see it that way.