Sign in to follow this  
MisterCarrow

Goal kick whoooaaa.....

When taking a goal kick the crowd all go whoooaa etc but when did this all start and why? Was it in the 80''s and have something to do with a song called nelle the elephant? I need to know!

Nellie was a version by the Toy Dolls, a quality band. They''ve just released a new album. Their bass player is a Norwich resident called Tommy Blyth - he plays in Goober Patrol too.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]we are the only club who seem to do it now... lets leave it in the 80''s along with goal music shall we?[/quote]Call me old fashioned if you like but I still enjoy giving the away keper some stick with this one. I don''t think it''s origins ever had anything to do with Nellie the Elephant though.BTW jas, I think the goal music was a 90''s creation. I would rather it was retired now.

I think as we have home support behind both goals we should give the opposition keeper stick. Not always the same though.

How about if he fluffs a kick out into touch, the next time we chant before his next kick "Will he keep it on the pitch"

Also if he kicks it and it goes along ground next time we should sing "Will he kick it in the air" as he''s about to take his next kick.

It might make the keeper laugh as he''s running up to take it and fluff his lines again.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I think as we have home support behind both goals we should give the opposition keeper stick. Not always the same though. How about if he fluffs a kick out into touch, the next time we chant before his next kick "Will he keep it on the pitch" Also if he kicks it and it goes along ground next time we should sing "Will he kick it in the air" as he''s about to take his next kick. It might make the keeper laugh as he''s running up to take it and fluff his lines again.[/quote]

It would work NC.  Difficult to choreograph though.   Afew years ago at Sheffield Utd.  I was near a Sheff Utd player near the touchline and he was taking ages to take the kick.   Eventually he started his run up, coinciding with me shouting at the top of my voice "GET ON WITH IT".  He physically wobbled and he practically missed the ball all together!     Made my day.  [:)]   If things like that could be worked on a with a small group it could have the desired effect and quickly catch on.  Like you say it has to be different every time to get the keeper''s attention.

I like the whoooooaaaaaa...... not too sure what the last words are- your shit ha or your shiter. But it has been around at carrow rd from when i attended as a youngster in the 90s and i hope it continues. It makes the ground a bit more hostile for the away team and gets those who don''t usually sing to make some noise too

Agree with Jas...most chants are just way past their sell by date including OTBC. We should have more originality and take a leaf from some of the European Cup teams that play in this country. Most English chants sound so tame these days; we need more that intimidate opposition teams and fans alike.

[quote user="barclaystand"]Crikey, even though I spelt the ''S'' word with a 1 instead of the i it still gets blanked out with some *''s.

[/quote]

Lee Evans did a cracking bit of stand up on this where the keeper stops then starts and stops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eti21PVHXrg

Just for those younguns who won''t know it. Cracking tune

I still like it. Especially when it carries on. I think it was West Brom away the cup match this season, and we continued the "aaarrrggggh"s afterwards for the longest I''ve ever heard. Still makes me chuckle!

[quote user="MisterCarrow"]When taking a goal kick the crowd all go whoooaa etc but when did this all start and why? Was it in the 80''s and have something to do with a song called nelle the elephant? I need to know![/quote]It goes back farther than the eighties. I can remember doing it back in the sixties.

I agree that this chant should be left to history. With us being very family friendly and PC at Carrow Road these days, why do we not do the Woaaaaaaah... followed by the full Nellie the Elephant chorus though?It could possibly become our harmless childhood song that has absolutely nothing really to do with football but ius sung at Carrow Road most weeks. I am pretty sure it would raise a smile amongst the opposition goalkeepers and fans as it done the rounds too.It could become synonymous with NCFC, our version of the Micky Greenaway anthem "Ten Men Went to Mow" that him and his friends started for Chelsea about 30 years ago.Maybe it will just be a few people that do it and the majority will feel that you are a bunch of idiots, but if you do not try then you will never know. You know that they say you only live once.For anyone who doesn''t know the lyrics to the chorus here they are;"Nellie the Elephant packed her trunkAnd said goodbye to the circusOff she went with a trumpety-trumpTrump, trump, trumpNellie the Elephant packed her trunkAnd trundled back to the jungleOff she went with a trumpety-trumpTrump, trump, trump!"

So does this mean that you two guys will be starting it on Saturday then?I wonder if the initial surprise effect of chanting this would be capable of putting the opposition keeper and defence off at all.

If I was a player stepping up to take a kick and the crowd began to sing Nellie the Elephant. Home or Away I think I''d definitely be unnerved!