Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Pilks on MOTD

Do any of you genuinely think Holt will be going to the Euros? The question was "has Holt got a chance of going?" If I was asked the same question, I''d say no too. He won''t be picked. Whether he should be or not is a different matter, I would put my house on him not going!

[quote user="Aggy"]Do any of you genuinely think Holt will be going to the Euros? The question was "has Holt got a chance of going?" If I was asked the same question, I''d say no too. He won''t be picked. Whether he should be or not is a different matter, I would put my house on him not going![/quote]

Whatever the wording of the question - Lawro''s answer was dismissive and with attitude.  Nodding as he said no (twice) was disrespectful to any viewer who might have an interest in English football. He had ample time to expand but chose to be petulant. Unprofessional.

It wasn''t that he said "No", It was the way he said it with no reasons given and no explanation for the answer.The question was just abruptly dismissed in a totally arrogant way.If tonights effort was MOTD''s attempt to try & placate the justified criticism from City fans then I''m afraid they took one small step forward followed by 5 large ones back.

[quote user="Aggy"]Do any of you genuinely think Holt will be going to the Euros? The question was "has Holt got a chance of going?" If I was asked the same question, I''d say no too. He won''t be picked. Whether he should be or not is a different matter, I would put my house on him not going![/quote]

Yeah but he couldnt even justify his comment, just a flat NO! Then said later that Crouch is a better player and has more chance of going. Surely any coach worth anything chooses the striker that is in form and scoring goals.

And yet when I watch MOTD without a pre-conceived notion that everything Lawrenson may possibly say all night is definitely anti-Norwich, I simply thought he made it clear that Holt wouldn''t be picked to go to the Euros.

I thought I saw Lawrenson nod as he said ''no'' twice as if to give alternate answers rather than say he didn''t know. I didn''t read it as petulant or dismissive, he was trying to be funny.

Lawrenson also says "no. No. He has had a fantastic season, but no."

Hardly saying that Holt is not good enough and doesn''t deserve to go, nor does it seem to be petulant words of someone who has got a secret hatred of everything yellow and green.

JetHeeledFrontman - he isn''t asked to justify it. Lineker says there is a shortage of English strikers at the moment, to which Lawrenson comments that there''s a shortage of everything at the moment! That, to me, is just an example of Lawrenson trying to be funny, it''s the sort of thing he says quite a lot, not a deliberate ignoring of the question.

As for Crouch being better, I think he probably is. As good as Holt has been this season, Crouch has performed at the top level for a long time - you don''t do that if you aren''t a pretty good player.

Crouch also has a history of being in the set up and is a more "fashionable" name than Holt. Now whilst I''ll agree that isn''t a good reason for a player to be picked, it''s how it is. Who do I think is morel ikely to go - Holt or Crouch? I''d say Crouch as well.

[quote user="Making Plans"]BTW, what are 3 of our players doing up at this time on a Saturday night when we''ve got a game on Monday?[/quote]

All down to the adrenaline I think, MP - Rio Ferdinand seems to regularly be on Twitter till god knows what time. Our players? Have no fear - they''ll be fine for Monday me old mucker.

Personally, I think MOTD seems to regularly say good stuff about us, as well as stuff that''s perhaps a bit irritating, or dare I say it, poorly researched - same as everyone else really. Must admit I didn''t like Lawro''s straight ''NO'' on the Holty question, thought he was as dismissive as Garth Crooks was, BUT as one poster''s pointed out the question was ''Do you think he''ll go to the Euro''s ?'' Rather than ''Should he go....?''

Holty''s done himself no harm today - that''s for sure. Keep it up Horse, still time to miss Fox''s wedding yet ;)

MOTD needs a shake up.

I actually prefer playing on a Sunday so we appear on MOTD2.

The host is good, and genuinely funny, and I don''t mind listening to what Lee Dixon or Dion Dublin have to say.

Lee Dixon is the best pundit. Insightful and balances his analysis out fairly for all teams, talks a lot of sense too. He doesn''t have his skull wedged half way up his ass either

[quote user="Canarino"]Crouch? I woudn''t pay him in Polo mints. He''s made a career out of being very tall.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, that goal he scored the other week will be the thing that sticks in peoples minds - freakish - though it was a good strike - so he will probably get the nod.  But if you are talking out and out striker and overall contribution to the team - Holt would win every time.

LDC - You''re right about the Crouch wonder goal sticking in people''s memories - but I reckon we''ll see a reactiion from the Horse tomorrow, expect him to score exactly the same wonder goal but from 1 yard further out

I felt it was all a bit of a set up following Lineker''s own tweets about NCFC fans "whining" . A few fans were getting stuck into him about the scheduling , and the Swansea factor. Lineker responded.

Let''s face it MOTD is old hat. Like it or not Sky have left BBC far behind in sports coverage. Two old has beens commenting on matches that they haven''t watched is a waste of time. How many times this year has "Lawro" actually watched GH? His opinions are groundless.

A Lot has changed in Football over the years, but the BBC dominance of the big clubs isn''t one of them. Anyone remember the Fanzine "Liverpool are on the Tele Again?" Been going on for years.

Leave the BBC to the Boat Race.  

[quote user="Canarino"]Crouch? I woudn''t pay him in Polo mints. He''s made a career out of being very tall.
[/quote]

Hi salary would amount to an awful lot of Polo mints! On a payment-by-talent basis, I suggest Peter retains the mints and Abbey Clancy gets the holes! :-)

[quote user="AJ"]MOTD needs a shake up.

I actually prefer playing on a Sunday so we appear on MOTD2.

The host is good, and genuinely funny, and I don''t mind listening to what Lee Dixon or Dion Dublin have to say.[/quote]This is spot on.

[quote user="barclaystand"][quote user="AJ"]MOTD needs a shake up. I actually prefer playing on a Sunday so we appear on MOTD2. The host is good, and genuinely funny, and I don''t mind listening to what Lee Dixon or Dion Dublin have to say.[/quote]This is spot on.
[/quote]

Personally I don''t bother with it I watch Cammy on Sunday morning Sky1 11am, and before anyone says I don''t have Sky, you don''t need Sky to watch, It is streemed on firstrow and vipbox,  SO GET OFF PINKUN  and tune in lol

[quote user="Aggy"]JetHeeledFrontman - he isn''t asked to justify it. Lineker says there is a shortage of English strikers at the moment, to which Lawrenson comments that there''s a shortage of everything at the moment! That, to me, is just an example of Lawrenson trying to be funny, it''s the sort of thing he says quite a lot, not a deliberate ignoring of the question. As for Crouch being better, I think he probably is. As good as Holt has been this season, Crouch has performed at the top level for a long time - you don''t do that if you aren''t a pretty good player. Crouch also has a history of being in the set up and is a more "fashionable" name than Holt. Now whilst I''ll agree that isn''t a good reason for a player to be picked, it''s how it is. Who do I think is morel ikely to go - Holt or Crouch? I''d say Crouch as well.[/quote]

And he has got some unusual moves on the dance floor.