Sign in to follow this  
H4H

On The Ball City and music before the game...

Was at Stamford Bridge last night... and they play some reggae type song as the players walk out, its not your usual fist pumping, ear drumming ''motivational'' type of music but it was very effective and the Chelsea fans seem to love it.

It got me thinking that there is no reason we couldn’t have the full addition of OTBC (all the versus) playing as out boys line-up in the tunnel. There are a few reasons I would like to see this happen.

1) Its the oldest football song in the world and it’s OURS and OURS only.

2) It would be good for the younger fans to hear how OTBC should be sung, and maybe we could slow it down.

3) As fans we could learn a couple of the versus which could be sung during the match - I think would be awesome.

4) It would get rid of the crap music they play at the moment and would also replace the cringe 3-2-1 Kick it off before every game....

I’m sure there will be those amongst you that disagree with me, but I don’t feel we utilise OTBC in the right way, it’s a great song when sung properly.

OTBC

Am I the only person who cringes at OTBC...its unique because its shite and nobody else wants it. I also hate the choice of music before the game and after each goal...there, said it!

Think you might be the only one who doesn''t like OTBC, MC! Goal music is sh*t though, just has to go.

Good idea, would be great to hear the oldest song in football ringing across the ground in its full version (or at least a few verses). However, i don''t want to get to close to how Chelsea work. I rememeber going to the ground last time we were in the prem and throughout the whole game they played recordings of songs, it was dire, no singing just tapes being played over the loudspeaker, was a disgrace.Also, am i the only one who likes the goal music, gets the whole ground celebrating as one, quite a sight to see all the fans dancing and fist pumping the air. I think if we score against Man city we should replicate their goal celebration thing, would be a laugh.

That " Reggae track" is no other than the ska anthem "the liquidator" by Harry J allstars - a one off tune that puts us playing f**kin'' Queen or some cheesy dance shite in to the shade. BUT I would add they have been playing this since the 60''s, so it''s very much part of their history...and frankly for me one of the highlights of going to that sh*tehole! (although I''ve heard they "stole" the idea from West Brom way back when).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLDf9XKMfk

Im not sure i would refer to the oldest recorded football song as **** and its original because it was written by a board member in 1905! I cant understand embarassment or cringing at OTBC, we should be proud of it. [quote user="ManchesterCanary"]Am I the only person who cringes at OTBC...its unique because its shite and nobody else wants it. I also hate the choice of music before the game and after each goal...there, said it! [/quote]

Like Everton with the Z Cars theme-Sunderland have opted for a bit of Prokofiev, don''t know how long they''ve had that for though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q

Sunderland pitch entry music-and maybe a few others?

I agree with a full thoated, maybe orchestral/full choral version of OTBC!!!

If not, how about we come out to this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDFFHaz9GsY

It always sounded a bit old fashioned even back in the days when it was sung properly. Nobody ever sang the verses, only the chorus but it had the power to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up in the 1950''s and 60''s.I would love to hear it sung again like we did then but I think it might be a bit too slow for modern tastes.

Then lets make it slower..... I''m sure the club could get someone to record a slightly modernised version whilst still keeping the authenticity of the original.

Regarding playing music like OTBC before the players come on - I remember at Anfield in 1964 they played the current hits by Liverpool groups - The Beatles, The Searchers etc and also one by Gerry and the Pacemakers and we all know what happened with that one!!!

I think On the Ball City is fantastic.   What other club can say they have their own original song?   Not one that has been plagurised and adapted - one that is totally original and unique to that club?

The goal music doesn''t make any logical sense to me - I would prefer a goal to be celebrated by the whole ground giving a chorus of OTBC.   If for no other reason that it actually mentions the scoring of a goal so what could be more appropriate?   Although I have to say that OTBC is most effective when it is sung loudly................... WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN.    To the players it must be as rousing as bagpipes are to a Scottish soldier!!!

The goal music must go. It''s too high to sing along to for a start.

We didn''t have this orchestrated cr@p years ago. Crowd would spontaneously burst into an appropriate song after a goal was scored.

Bring back Bernie that''s what I say.

Liked the Verdi suggestion above.

I have to say that seating probably hasn''t helped the return of the full blooded terrace chant.

Get the tissues out?

I had to get out the tissues, the bog roll, kitchen towels and use the beer mat collection to mop up the tears after watching that!

In a fit of nostalgic masochism I also watched this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9rw5G_zUA

We mourn the passing of the old Kop, and on the final day before it went all seater a certain team spoilt the occasion by having the audacity to beat Liverpool one nil

[quote user="south east canary"]

Im not sure i would refer to the oldest recorded football song as **** and its original because it was written by a board member in 1905! I cant understand embarassment or cringing at OTBC, we should be proud of it. [quote user="ManchesterCanary"]Am I the only person who cringes at OTBC...its unique because its shite and nobody else wants it. I also hate the choice of music before the game and after each goal...there, said it!
[/quote]

[/quote]

written in the 1890''s.probably by a teacher as it was originaly on the ball teachers???.  then adopted by norwich in 1902.

There are only a few clubs whose games you could recognise without seeing an image.... and it''s ours alone. Pompey have theirs... West Ham have Bubbles... Liverpool have You''ll never walk. Can''t say there are too many others around.Nowt wrong with a bit of tradition in this media driven world of hype.

Love the slower version of the original, like you''ll never walk alone, has the ability to send shivers down the spine. At least the chorus should be played.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]There are only a few clubs whose games you could recognise without seeing an image.... and it''s ours alone. Pompey have theirs... West Ham have Bubbles... Liverpool have You''ll never walk. Can''t say there are too many others around.Nowt wrong with a bit of tradition in this media driven world of hype.[/quote] everton aswell have one that they come out of the tunnel to z cars .

[quote user="H4H"]Then lets make it slower..... I''m sure the club could get someone to record a slightly modernised version whilst still keeping the authenticity of the original.[/quote] good idea

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"][quote user="H4H"]Then lets make it slower..... I''m sure the club could get someone to record a slightly modernised version whilst still keeping the authenticity of the original.[/quote] good idea[/quote]

All it needs is that guy from that choir programme (Gareth?) to come along one match day and teach the crowd  to sing it slowly - record it for posterity  - and the job''s a good''un.    Maye once its sung properly the fans might prefer singing it that way anyway.  

If not him, a local music teacher or some such could do it.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"][quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]There are only a few clubs whose games you could recognise without seeing an image.... and it''s ours alone. Pompey have theirs... West Ham have Bubbles... Liverpool have You''ll never walk. Can''t say there are too many others around.Nowt wrong with a bit of tradition in this media driven world of hype.[/quote] everton aswell have one that they come out of the tunnel to z cars .[/quote]Well.... apart from Norwich, Pompey, West Ham, Liverpool and Everton.... I can''t say there are too many others around. [;)]

Back in the 60s everyone sung "You''ll Never Walk Alone" and we all had our own version of  Blowing Bubbles (Then like West Ham they fade and die) Pompey''s isn''t even a song. Everton don''t have on and theyt are not the only team to run out to Z Cars music. Sooooooo, apart from Norwich....

Your right there nutty. Liverpool have adopted you''ll never walk alone well though I think. Although I believe man utd first sung it after the Munich air crash. It''s great the club have put on the ball city on our shirts this season. That''s a start. This idea has to be next.

I assume I''m the only person here who hadn''t heard the full and slower version being talked about.   So I found this on youtube so I now know what you guys are talking about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPVn9eLOkF0

Of course I also had to google the lyrics!

A recording should be made of a choir of Norwich supporters singing it (with music) to be played before every game!

[quote user="Shankslad"]

I assume I''m the only person here who hadn''t heard the full and slower version being talked about.   So I found this on youtube so I now know what you guys are talking about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPVn9eLOkF0

Of course I also had to google the lyrics!

A recording should be made of a choir of Norwich supporters singing it (with music) to be played before every game!

[/quote]

Not a bad suggestion[Y]

Did you like our very safe looking,ancient stadium in the photo?

Hi Guys, how much longer have we got to put up with all this crap music, i think the guy we need to speak to is STEVE BRADLEY from Radio Norwich, he is one of the guys on the mic at CR, and must have a input of the music being played at the ground....I''ve got a few friends who works at Radio Norwich and can have a word to get hold of him, and maybe not be able to change it before the end of the season, but defo change it for next season and maybe get OTBC played before the match....I''ll have a word with them and get back to you with any results.....OTBC....